Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Makes sense -- I can't imagine Goodyear would produce two lines of ST tires. I've never had a problem with my Marathons so I will stick with the brand when the current set times out next Fall.
Assume you are familiar with all the reported problems with GYM tires? [see links in Post #9] Not sure what you mean by "times out" but if you are that close to replacing them why not do it ASAP for the sake of your family's safety? At least you have the safety margin of two axles. Our FC20 will get new tires before any major road trips, as a tire failure is more significant on a single axle trailer.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Assume you are familiar with all the reported problems with GYM tires? [see links in Post #9] Not sure what you mean by "times out" but if you are that close to replacing them why not do it ASAP for the sake of your family's safety? At least you have the safety margin of two axles. Our FC20 will get new tires before any major road trips, as a tire failure is more significant on a single axle trailer.
You get new tires every time you take a major road trip? What do you consider major?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Our GYM tires were manufactured in 2012, so they are 5 years old. They came with the 2014 FC20 purchased in the fall of 2015, as a prior model year unit on sale. The tires have been OK for local trips while we get back into the swing of things, but with longer trips planned for the summer, time for new tires IMO.

Tire age: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Our tires have a DOT stamp date of manufacture from 2012, so they are 5 years old. They came with our 2014 FC20, which we bought in the fall of 2015 as a prior model year unit on sale. The tires have been OK for local trips while we get back into the swing of things, but with longer trips planned for the summer, time for new tires IMO.

Tire age: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11
Okay, so yours are about to time out from age. That is all that was meant above.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Even if they were new, I would still replace them ASAP before any major trip [>500 miles R/T]. Having a single axle changes the analysis, over here at least.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Even if they were new, I would still replace them ASAP before any major trip [>500 miles R/T]. Having a single axle changes the analysis, over here at least.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are many people that have put thousands of trouble free miles on GYM tires, and replacing them based on age, and before they become a problem, is not being negligent like you're trying to make it sound.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
. . . negligent like you're trying to make it sound.

I beg your pardon? I was only setting forth our logic with a single axle, and checking that n2916s had considered all the risks for their own decision making.

Risk assessment is a personal thing, which I respect for everyone.

Never said anyone was being negligent.

Please do not put words in my mouth!

Thank you, and good day, sir.

PS -- What you might infer from my words may not be what I actually said, or meant to imply.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
So, I have towed with GYM's over 60000 miles on my 31' Sovereign over the past 12 years. Other than replacing one tire I damaged whacking a curb, I have had no failures.

I replace them at four years regardless of wear which is probably overkill but after replacing four Carlisles (that my former tire dealer sold me on) on the side of various roads, I am comfortable with that decision.

Time is up this Fall so will buy the Endurance tires.

By the way, if you have a clue, a flat tire is not going to endanger you, your family or the bus load of trial lawyers in the adjacent lane.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Stow , Massachusetts
So, thanks to all for your input. I run Michelins on both my trucks so knowing their quality,
I ordered Sendel 16" T02 Wheels and Michelin Defender 225/75-16 E Load Tires.

I'm sure they will be a nice ride!
comeonletsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, good move!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I have had 5 airstreams over the years...all with goodyear marathons. No not one problem...ever!

When we picked up our latest 26U I ask the dealer techs why Airstream is still using the marathons as I hadn't had any problems but heard on this forum others had...they told me that yes back in the day there were some problems but that had been corrected long ago and they don't see or hear of issues now...but the legend lives on because of the internet.

I think you will be fine...keep them at correct pressure, don't run over curbs or debris, check them with a infrared temp gun when you stop and measure temps...what your looking for is consistent across all tires, or run a tpms if you really want to be diligent.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I have had 5 airstreams over the years...all with goodyear marathons. No not one problem...ever!

When we picked up our latest 26U I ask the dealer techs why Airstream is still using the marathons as I hadn't had any problems but heard on this forum others had...they told me that yes back in the day there were some problems but that had been corrected long ago and they don't see or hear of issues now...but the legend lives on because of the internet.

I think you will be fine...keep them at correct pressure, don't run over curbs or debris, check them with a infrared temp gun when you stop and measure temps...what your looking for is consistent across all tires, or run a tpms if you really want to be diligent.
Tend to agree. Something about tires combined with internet tends to draw out intense polarized viewpoints. First noticed it on the Honda Element forum, folks were intensely anti Goodyear Wrangler which was OEM on the car. I got well over 40K out of mine.

There are sooo many ways trailer tires can be abused without the user ever knowing. Esp on large multi axle trailers, when you consider speeds, heat, and the natural tendency of most folks to NOT keep tires at recommended pressures, it's a recipe for failure. The C range tires on our Sport are not intended for speeds above 65 mph. You really have to pay attention to not end up at 70 or 75, it's just the nature of driving a smooth modern vehicle...they want to go fast.

Been towing for 15 years and have never had a blowout (ahh, there is a first time for everything, my time is surely coming...) Have never run a tire past 5 years, and immediately replaced a Towmax with a sidewall bulge, as well as one I ran over a curb. Then there's the Sport's GYM that are due to change this summer. Was thinking the Endurance with D rating, it would allow higher speeds and a little more fudge factor for weight and inflation pressure. But really, I don't have any business towing faster than 65 no matter what tire is on it.

But yeah back to the point, tire discussions on the internet...it's almost always a wild and woolly affair. Mine's better! Yours are trash!
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
So should I assume everyone understands the information in THIS post on tire failures?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I never had any problem with marathons, 22, 000 miles in 3.5 years, replaced them at 4 years and 50 0/0 tread. I never wear them down to nothing..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Athens , Ontario
Just came off at our of the plant, all of them now are equipped with Goodyear Endurance.
Roadroamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Those who have not had a tire failure with a GYM are 100% running 15" D Rated Marathons. I wish you the same in the future.

The 14" that had been standard with the lighter axles on the 23 foot were prone to failure. My first Airstream was the 23 foot. I did not realize that ONLY the 23 foot in 2006 had 14" Goodyear Marathons. Those tires gave GYM the bad reputation.

Our current 25 foot came with 15" Marathons. I had no problem with them, as I immediately upgraded to 16" E Rated Michelin tires and 16" wheels. When expressing your satisfaction or bad experience with GYM's... indicate the 14" or 15". A 2017 23 foot I saw was now using 15" Marathons.

I include a photo of my 23 foot Safari at Rawlins, Wyoming getting rid of my 14" Marathons since having immediate problems. They had Hi-Run 14" tires, Made in China. They looked better than the Greyish Marathons made in New Zealand I was replacing.

These barely got me to Salt Lake City, UT with the tread separating. The center tread looked 'spread out' in the center. Bought Tow Master 14" in Salt Lake City and lived happily ever after. After... until I sold the 23 foot, purchased a 25 foot International and swapped the Marathons immediately.

This 'reputable' tire dealer in Wyoming has several shops along I-80. They were ready to jack up the trailer at the axles... even after I said I would show them where and how.

It is the 14" Marathon that is pure garbage and a danger to all. The 15" Marathon may be a fine trailer tire. But... not for my experiences AND now I can go the Speed Limit in Wyoming or even Utah without expecting the worse... to date, that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1941.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	284328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1938.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	284329  

Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonletsgo View Post
Hello,

We recently received our 2017 FC and are looking forward to heading out!

Has anyone had problems with Goodyear Marathon st225 75r15 load range d?

Any thoughts.... if or when I should consider up grading to a LT tire or even moving from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel. Or are the Marathons just fine?

Thanks for any input!
I upgraded because I had to. From the dealer, delivered from the factory, our 2017 Sport came with 15" Badyear Marathon's D load range, made in China stamped on the side. Drove home from the dealer and noticed a slight shimmy in the steering wheel which wasn't there prior to pickup. Upon inspection, found NO weights on either alum wheel front or back. Remembered the sticker from AS which states " tires balanced at factory". Hmm. Removed wheels and took to my local shop to have balanced. Both wheels out of balance, one tire egg shaped. "Cannot not be balanced" the tech says as he shows me the wheel and tire bobbing on the machine. New tires purchased. Thanks AS for using Badyear tires.[emoji35]
Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Goodyear Marathons

It is true that the internet makes a nice vehicle to spread the good, bad and ugly. After being a loyal fan of the Forum I installed a TPMS after buying a used 2013 28 FC. I believe the piece of mind is priceless.
I have had no trouble with the Marathons but with the tires approaching 5 year mark I had already decided to put the Goodyear Endurance tires on when I change the tires.
I was readying to put the Airstream away and was doing some maintenance items. One item was to rebalance the tires. I balanced the first one fine. When I pulled the second wheel off I got a surprise. A two inch piece of a steel belt was sticking out of the inside tread side wall. I am so glad I pulled the wheels to balance them.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrossa View Post
It is true that the internet makes a nice vehicle to spread the good, bad and ugly. After being a loyal fan of the Forum I installed a TPMS after buying a used 2013 28 FC. I believe the piece of mind is priceless.
I have had no trouble with the Marathons but with the tires approaching 5 year mark I had already decided to put the Goodyear Endurance tires on when I change the tires.
I was readying to put the Airstream away and was doing some maintenance items. One item was to rebalance the tires. I balanced the first one fine. When I pulled the second wheel off I got a surprise. A two inch piece of a steel belt was sticking out of the inside tread side wall. I am so glad I pulled the wheels to balance them.
The good, the bad and ugly.....tpms would tell you ,you are out of air after it blowed out and, by the time you stopped , the side of your as is damaged...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Goodyear Marathon Tires?

You managed to dodge a heck of a bullet. Our tire issue took our $3,000 worth of damage repair to resolve....yup, GY Marathon tires. Never giving them another chance to wreck our precious aluminum...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote