Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #141
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
While I don't like to do a failure analysis from a single photo, this looks like it might be road hazard related. It is extremely isolated.

Most tire failures (if we exclude puncture related failures) are design related - that is, what materials are used in the tire and where are they placed. Defects rarely cause failures.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What do you mean by "isolated"? He noted the problem by TPMS as it started to leak down. There is no question in my mind that if he hadn't had TPMS, he would have seen rapid tread disintegration in the next few miles. There was no apparent puncture, but the tech did see a portion of the "tear" that appeared more "smooth", thus his comment about a "slice". I, however am not convinced, although I see your (and his) point.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #143
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Followup:

I noticed in another thread that the TPMS indicated a loss of pressure - and to my mind, that confirms my speculation that this was road hazard related. Please be aware that "road hazard" also includes cuts, and not just nails.

First, pressure in a tire is held in by the innerliner - which is the innermost layer. This failure is in the outer parts. In other words, a tire experiencing a belt leaving belt separation, should not lose pressure - at least initially. Any loss of pressure would occur after the belt comes off from the casing being penetrated by road debris.

A belt leaving belt separation generally results in the entire top belt and tread coming off, leaving behind the bottom belt and the rest of the casing. This is because the belt edges are separating 360° around the tires first, and the separation grows between the belt and laterally across the tire starting at the first site of separation. Eventually it grows completely across and the centrifugal forces throw the belt off.

By the time that happens, the belt is partially loose completely around the tire. When the belt starts to come off, it frequently encounters the vehicle fender and that rips the rest of the belt off.

So while this looks like a early stage of a belt leaving belt separation (and it is), the loss of pressure is a symptom that the separation is being driven by something external to the tire.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Followup:

I noticed in another thread that the TPMS indicated a loss of pressure - and to my mind, that confirms my speculation that this was road hazard related. Please be aware that "road hazard" also includes cuts, and not just nails.

First, pressure in a tire is held in by the innerliner - which is the innermost layer. This failure is in the outer parts. In other words, a tire experiencing a belt leaving belt separation, should not lose pressure - at least initially. Any loss of pressure would occur after the belt comes off from the casing being penetrated by road debris.

A belt leaving belt separation generally results in the entire top belt and tread coming off, leaving behind the bottom belt and the rest of the casing. This is because the belt edges are separating 360° around the tires first, and the separation grows between the belt and laterally across the tire starting at the first site of separation. Eventually it grows completely across and the centrifugal forces throw the belt off.

By the time that happens, the belt is partially loose completely around the tire. When the belt starts to come off, it frequently encounters the vehicle fender and that rips the rest of the belt off.

So while this looks like a early stage of a belt leaving belt separation (and it is), the loss of pressure is a symptom that the separation is being driven by something external to the tire.
I agree...wish I would have seen it in person, to be able to confirm though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #145

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
Manufacturing/design defect. No way this was caused by road debris. I just had to deal with a sliced tire. It's a clean cut through the cords. And the culprit is most likely going to stay embedded in the tire.

Reading back a couple of posts:
Total BS. You're going to tell me that your light truck is never exposed to UV? Come on. With a trailer it's reasonable to put covers over the tires. On a truck you drive every day; not so much. Ah, why is it you need tire covers for your trailer with the ST tires and not for the TV???
Not total BS Because the TV rolls a lot more (usually) which distributes the UV compounds in the tires. It also changes directions and angle with the sun. Sit a truck for long periods of time, like a trailer or motorhome and you will get UV damage. UV is a powerful destructive force. ST tires contain additional UV compounds to fight deterioration but the tires still need to roll to distribute these compounds to the exterior of the tires. I've attended tire safety training from the RVSEF organization which provides information to motorhome and trailer owners. RVSEF - RV Weighing & Safety Education

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
ST = Say no Thanks

They are just cheap ass tires sold at a premium. A lot like lawn tractor tires as I'm learning. Demand an LT rated tire. All the BS never cuts muster. Backing puts severe loads on the sidewall; steering axle is much harder. UV; like the TV isn't subject to the sun?
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #147
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post

UV; like the TV isn't subject to the sun?
The TV is exposed to UV rays just like the trailer. And may be more so than a trailer. What a TV gets that a trailer doesn't get (in many cases) is usage. The TV gets used in a non-towing manner and the tire of a TV moving helps the tires last longer than a trailer tire sitting. The moving tire keeps some of the UV protectants active in the tire. Keep the tire stationary and the UV protection is not as effective.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #148
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
That's why they sell wheel covers.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not think the extra UV protection in ST tires does you much good if you have to replace them every 3 years to keep them from failing.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote