Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The Michelin XPS Ribs on our Bambi (225/75x15, Load Range E) were made in Germany.
OK! In this thread I have ONLY been talking about Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75 R16 LRE....they are only made in USA and CANADA.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Michelin???? China???? Either Canada or US....no china.
Ooops, I mean china ST tires.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Ooops, I mean china ST tires.
No more STs for me. I hve not had any disasters, but I am not going to borrow trouble. WAAAAAY too many stories to ignore, and ASes are REALLY expensive to fix after a blowout.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks, where did you see the info?
See post #41
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
See post #41

That question was for Ole Red, who said Tredits were recalled. All I found online was Tredit 15" steel wheels for boat trailers and specific SOB manufacturers on recall.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Are there any 16" American made wheels available?
Alan3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
dznfog.... thanks for the info. The Michelin LTX tire I am looking at has a Max Load rating of 2183. I'm aware it will not be as good as moving up into the 16 inch range but I feel like it is a step up from the GYM. We also travel very light when we pull. My tanks are empty and we normally only have clothing and a small about of food. We like to purchase locally and wait to stock up on groceries after we get to or near our site. I may still consider the 16 inch wheels. I'm just having problems finding a style of wheel I like. Again....thanks for the recommendation...steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
The Michelin LTX tire I am looking at has a Max Load rating of 2183. I'm aware it will not be as good as moving up into the 16 inch range but I feel like it is a step up from the GYM.
Well that is a BIG step up from a china tire!
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
dznfog.... thanks for the info. The Michelin LTX tire I am looking at has a Max Load rating of 2183. I'm aware it will not be as good as moving up into the 16 inch range but I feel like it is a step up from the GYM. We also travel very light when we pull. My tanks are empty and we normally only have clothing and a small about of food. We like to purchase locally and wait to stock up on groceries after we get to or near our site. I may still consider the 16 inch wheels. I'm just having problems finding a style of wheel I like. Again....thanks for the recommendation...steve
Do yourself one favor though, Steve. Load up the AS and run it over the scales. That'll ease your mind on the proper choice. I like to leave some reserve on the tires due to 2 things.

1) Running in high temps is VERY hard on tires. A maxed out tire in high heat MAY not stand up.

2) Trailers, just like people, tend to gain weight as time goes on. More than you would think. Since your new tires will be with you 5 - 7 years, think ahead.

My personal advice is, if you run over the scales, and you are at 7500 pounds ON THE AXLES (not total weight) loaded and properly hitched, I would strongly consider moving up to 16" LTs. (if you're staying with Michelin). I don't know anything about the Continentals mentioned above, and I don't think there's a lot of "tribal" knowledge on this forum about them. But they do have some more capacity than the 15" LTX extended loads.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Tredit wheels

Sorry for the mess, the information on the above was in 2004......
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
Sorry for the mess, the information on the above was in 2004......
Thanks, I wanted to make sure we weren't missing something.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
After reading through this thread and several other threads, I’m developing Marathon paranoia. I’ve been running Marathons for a dozen years (not the same tires), and since I’m getting ready to replace them, I’ve been reading these comments with interest. I’m conflicted, somewhat akin to the old Bob Seger lyrics that “…I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”.

Your wheel wells must be larger than my 25-footer. The most restrictive part on mine is the distance between the front wheel well trim and the tire, which is currently only about ¾”. Stepping up to 16” is appealing, but for my rig I’m nervous about that proximity to the trim.

Did you make modifications, or did the wheel wells become larger in recent years or with the longer trailers?
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
After reading through this thread and several other threads, I’m developing Marathon paranoia. I’ve been running Marathons for a dozen years (not the same tires), and since I’m getting ready to replace them, I’ve been reading these comments with interest. I’m conflicted, somewhat akin to the old Bob Seger lyrics that “…I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”.

Your wheel wells must be larger than my 25-footer. The most restrictive part on mine is the distance between the front wheel well trim and the tire, which is currently only about ¾”. Stepping up to 16” is appealing, but for my rig I’m nervous about that proximity to the trim.

Did you make modifications, or did the wheel wells become larger in recent years or with the longer trailers?
Sorry, I can't answer the question of whether a 16" rim/tire will fit in a 25'. We had absolutely no problem with the 30'. I guess the next step would be to measure a 30' and compare to you own. AS should be able to advise you as well. Good Luck.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Sorry, I can't answer the question of whether a 16" rim/tire will fit in a 25'. We had absolutely no problem with the 30'. I guess the next step would be to measure a 30' and compare to you own. AS should be able to advise you as well. Good Luck.
Likewise, I'd guess I'm at 3/4" AFTER the 16" install.

I would say that if you CAN'T do the 16's, your next best bet might be the LRD 15" Michelin's discussed above or maybe the Continentals discussed above. I would not buy another set of GYMs.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #75
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:

There are a few on here that have the 16" wheels on a 25-footer. moosetags is one. Do some searching on here and you will find them.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Thanks dznf0g, I’m assuming you’re referring to the Michelin LTX M/S2, 235/75R15. That tire would be about .15 inches closer to the forward trim, bringing the gap between the tire and the trim to about .60 inches.

Thanks RLS for the tip on other 25-footers that have bumped up to 16 inch wheels. I’ll review the posts specifically for that.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks dznf0g, I’m assuming you’re referring to the Michelin LTX M/S2, 235/75R15. That tire would be about .15 inches closer to the forward trim, bringing the gap between the tire and the trim to about .60 inches.

Thanks RLS for the tip on other 25-footers that have bumped up to 16 inch wheels. I’ll review the posts specifically for that.
Yes. Do you know what your weight is, on the axles, loaded and ready for travel?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
It varies, of course, but tends to run about 3200# per axle.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
It varies, of course, but tends to run about 3200# per axle.
If that's relatively consistent, you should be OK with the XL Michelins or the Continentals.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

BTW, the definition of paranoia is "the belief that someone is out to get you". Based on the number of Marathon "issues", it's not a belief....they are really out to get you. That's not paranoia.