Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Sorry to hear about your damage.
There are many posts about ST tire failure on this site.
If you want to research the subject I recommend the post Tires, Tires Tires started by Bob Thompson.
Next go the NHTSA web site and file a complaint. Its not easy but the more failure complaints the better.
Beginner
I would be calling goodyear corporate wanting reimbursed.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #22

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My experience with Goodyear Marathons was similar. We had three separate catastrophic failures (blow-outs) on the highway. We experienced only minor body damage. We replaced the marathons with Maxxis E's. They did better, but still not great. At least the Maxxis didn't blow-out, just tread separation. We finally decided that all of the St trailer tires were junk. At 60,000 miles on the Airstream, we went with the 16" wheels and LT Michelins. We now have almost 25,000 miles on the LT with no problems yet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Your welcome!

He and his wife do all the work so they will be slow but well worth the wait. His dad used to own an Airstream dealership so he grew up with them, kinda cool. I'm taking mine down next weekend and I imagine he will have it for most of the winter but I'm good with that. Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the recommendation. I got in contact with Griffith RV and sent them pics and info. for a repair quote. Appears we may be taking the trailer up in March for repairs. I also turned in a claim to Goodyear and contacted my insurance company. We finally made it to Arkansas for a quick vacation. Just without the trailer :-(
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I Learned a Lot From This - Be Safe!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Great Video. Good Info.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary

Thanks for the recommendation. I got in contact with Griffith RV and sent them pics and info. for a repair quote. Appears we may be taking the trailer up in March for repairs. I also turned in a claim to Goodyear and contacted my insurance company. We finally made it to Arkansas for a quick vacation. Just without the trailer :-(
Great! I leave early in the morning to deliver ours and go over the trailer with them. I will let you know when it's done and post before and after pics.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Brad, when did you switch, and where did you go? You can email me off line if you wish...Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Tire Blowout Before Trip - Aligment Root Cause?

I had a blowout on my first set of GYM's after only about 2 years. I was very careful to keep the inflation pressure at 65psi. When I looked at the remaining tires, I noticed really uneven tire wear.

So wheel alignment is a concern. According to some, you can go over driveway to self serve and cause a misalignment - the axles are easy to mis-align. It doesn't take much time on your trip for a misalignment issue to cause a tire to blow. Check with the Airstream dealer for who they use for alignment, and go there directly to get it checked if your tires show uneven wear.

Now I check for even wear every time I inflate the tires, and before every trip.

Chris
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Chris.... All of my tires show even wear. These are the orginal tires and have plenty of thread left. The trailer is also stored out of the sun. I'm currently waiting for the quote to come back from the RV dealer and then I'll deal with Goodyear and the insurance. I checked today on LT tires and I'll have to size up to 16 inch rims to do so. Not sure I care to do that. ....steve
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Estimate to repair the blown out tire damage to our trailer appears to be around $7,500. I've decided before the trailer gets hitched again, ALL four Goodyear ST tires will be removed and either Michelin or BF Goodrich 225/75/R16 tires will be installed. I have done a lot of reading on the forum, concerning people going to the 16 inch wheels and have decided larger appears to be the way to go. Last thing I need is to leave the house and worry WHEN the next GYM is going to blow. I would like to stay with the 15 inch tires and not have to deal with new rims but with all I've read it appears I'm going to have to go up to 16 inch to have a safe margin. Are there any owners of 30 or 31 foot trailers who have made the change over and can tell me a good alloy rim to use? Also, have some stayed with the 15 inch rims and gone to the LT tires with complete satisfaction? Thanks for all of the good info. I have received here. Input from the forum has been great... steve
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Blown tire

Steve,

There is a place called North Dallas RV, that repairs Airstreams...They have one of mine there now....Randy, the technician, has been doing this for 28 years and comes highly recommended.......They are just North of Dallas Texas...about 40 miles....I don't have their number handed, but you can Google it. Good Luck......a tire came off on mine...did over $10,000.
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We had a catastrophic Goodyear Marathon tread separation this summer in Nebraska with extensive wheel well and floor damage. We successfully got Goodyear to pay for the tire and the repair. I wondered if any of you with the same issue were able to get reimbursement from Goodyear?
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Thanks for the recommendation but we have plans to take ours to Griffith RV in Oklahoma City in March for repairs. The entire lower half of the road side is going to require panel replacement. Griffith comes highly recommended. I'll have to google Dover, Arkansas. We recently purchased retirement property in Clinton, Arkansas and plan to be there in about 3 years. Love the state. Devils Den and Petit Jean are our favorite state parks.

We did file a claim with Goodyear. I've been waiting for the repair estimate to come in. I took the tire to our local GY dealer, where they had it picked up and returned for failure analysis. I've also contacted my insurance carrier but will wait to see what GY says after they receive the quote.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #34

Olathe , Kansas
Our is in OKC waiting for repair right now. They are very friendly and I like the idea of one person doing the work. Great people!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Mitch... I also like the idea of dealing with a small business. Darla has been great in working with us over the repair quote. We have plans to pull the trailer up in March for repairs and then head over to Arkansas for a bit of vacation time. I hope your trailer repairs go well. Let me know how things work out.... steve
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #36

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary
Mitch... I also like the idea of dealing with a small business. Darla has been great in working with us over the repair quote. We have plans to pull the trailer up in March for repairs and then head over to Arkansas for a bit of vacation time. I hope your trailer repairs go well. Let me know how things work out.... steve
I sure will. I told the that I heard you were coming to them for repairs. Missing our Bambi though.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We switched to 16" Michelins and are quite happy. A friend who also has a 30' is changing to these tires/rims and struck a deal with a local operator who will sell the tires and rims and will rotate and balance the tires for FREE every 10k miles. He has to pay about $60 (total) more for the rims rather than ordering them ( shipping?) but one tire rotation covers the dollar difference. We cover the tires when in storage, and when towing, monitor with temp/psi with a reliable tpm system. When you buy, insist on the "freshest" tires available, because, as stated prior, 4-6 years is the max longevity for these puppies. Good luck,,,Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Zigi..could you provide info. on your wheels. Where you purchased and which model. Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I believe that the following specs apply to wheels most people have purchased:

Wheel size: 16x6
Bolt Circle: 6x139.7 (same as 6x5.5)
Offset: 0 (zero)
Center Bore: 4.25
Load Rating: 3,200

We purchased the following wheels, through Discount Tire, who matched Sendel's online price: Sendel T02

However, there are lots of other wheels and styles available, both from Sendel and other manufacturers.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Wheels

I bought Eagle Alloy wheels Model 0589-7766-1-AA several years in 16 inch and installed BF Goodrich Commercial T/As (LT225 75R16). Havent had a bit of trouble since.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote