Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltero
I learned of the AAA RV plus the same way you did, it costs about 25-30 per year to add the coverage.....I have it and have used it 3 times....each time I had to convince the AAA contact that I did indeed have the RVPlus....in each instance they did provide the service....so I continue to carry it and expect that if needed again, once more I will have to argue my coverge....but....what you gonna do?
Waltero (and others)

May I suggest you contact your AAA office and explain the issue of the service group not recognizing that you do have the extended coverage and ask them for advice on how to get past this quickly as you sit on the side of the road needing AAA's help.

The last time we had the issue in WA State Donna called it in while I was trying to see if the problem was the fuel pump wire or fuse, or the fuel pump itself. Given we were just a couple of miles from the rod run we were attending I did not relish the thought of being towed in on a flat deck. Sigh - that's what happened but I must admit that the hard luck trophy I got was spectacular and almost made up for the weekend of teasing.

Anyways, back to the gist - Donna gave them her card number and I'm the one with the extended coverage - once the lady came back and said Donna did not have the coverage I got on the phone, gave her my card number, and within moments she was back with confirmation that I (not we) had the coverage and no problem. Of course she did indicate the trailer may have to wait for a later tow which I said wasn't going to happen so she got it figured out with the tow company. When the two drivers for the tow truck company arrived they said the issue is not with AAA but with the fact that a lot of towing companies in small towns have limited capabilities, often only two trucks, and if one is out on another tow (or at home with the driver in the sack and not answering his cell) they have issues meeting the expectations of AAA and the customer.

So, I don't believe it is always the AAA issue, it is the availability of the local towing firms.

Barry
Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #42
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I moved posts about the emergency flasher to a seperate thread located here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...cle-35786.html

That data is great and needs its own thread. It is electrical/ lights.

Thanks!

On another note about AAA. AAA is different in different states. When I lived in Michigan the coverage was great. When I moved to AZ the coverage and level of service was not to the same standard. I dropped them after my experience. And during the move I discovered my coverage did not transfer from MI to AZ.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Las Vegas , Nevada
I couldn't find anything about the RV plus coverage on the AAA site for NV, UT, Northern Cal; anyone know if it's just something they don't have?

jpgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #44
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I dropped AAA when I bought my trailer. Picked up Good sams...

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon
I couldn't find anything about the RV plus coverage on the AAA site for NV, UT, Northern Cal; anyone know if it's just something they don't have?
They don't make it easy to find. Apparently, "Plus" coverage is only available if you have been a "Classical" member for one year. From the AAA home page, enter "membership" in the search box. Scroll down to the entry about pricing in Nevada.

We do have plus coverage which adds additional miles to the towing allowance. Our membership brochure also has a page of small print about the eligible vehicles. Of particular interest --
"Motor homes, cab-over campers, tent trailers, recreational trailers, .... are eligible for ERS, including towing up to $200 provided they can be serviced safely and legally with the equipment available. In some cases, you may be asked to obtain service from a commercial tow company and apply for reimbursement."
Our document is marked "Rev. Oct 2002". Info on the AAA website appears to agree with our brochure. Unfortunately, we just renewed for one year. Wish I had read this thread last month.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cowpokes
They don't make it easy to find. Apparently, "Plus" coverage is only available if you have been a "Classical" member for one year. From the AAA home page, enter "membership" in the search box. Scroll down to the entry about pricing in Nevada.
Hm. We already have "Plus" coverage -- have for quite a while -- I just don't see anything special about RVs on it.

jpgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #47

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
Rick, thanks -- this will probably be the next blog entry, lol

My expectation was that AAA would provide us with one tire change or tow per year, regardless of vehicle. I don't think there's a HUGE difference between changing a tire on an Airstream and changing one on a car (so long as the proper jack point is used). And AAA advertises that the coverage follows the member, not the vehicle.

The AAA representative on the phone stated that in the Northern California region, you are covered -- no extra RV payment is necessary. So apparently it varies from region to region.
You picked up an important fact which was why I did not add RV Plus to my AAA coverage. There are places where coverage does differ, according to the RV Plus fine print. I added the road service coverage to my Progressive RV insurance policy. $40 a year and it covers both the tow vehicle and trailer with nationwide service.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
California Update...

I did some more research on CSAA club for northern California, and learned several interesting things about regular and "Plus" memberships...

1. Emergency Road Service (ERS) IS available for standard membership, for eligible vehicles including motor homes, recreational trailers, and trailers transporting a boat or jet skis... "provided they can be serviced safely and legally with the equipment available.." I believe this is high quality legal "weasel wording" to enable them to not tow you if it is difficult... They do make clear that you are entitled to FOUR ERS events in a year, and after that you must pay for any assistance.

2. The "Plus" membership is an additional $49 or so, and entitles you only to additional miles of free towing (100 mi v 5 mi standard, subject to limits above) plus free gas, and free medical evacuation (up to $25K!) and vehicle return...

Rep did confirm that different AAA regional clubs could and probably would have different terms for their "Plus" memberships...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #49
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks for sharing the information about the plastic ramp. I don’t recall ever having seen one. Can you tell us where you bought it? It sounds like a great piece of safety equipment
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote