Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Carlisle Tires

Does anyone use Carlisle tires? They have an E that is rated at 2830 lbs at 80 psi..........

Any feedback would be apprecicated as I need a set and am not gonna go with Marathons.

Thanks.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Another alternative to Goodyear is Maxxis. We are running a set right now. I do not know if they have a distributor in Sugar Valley.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
After the problems I had with Carlisle on a SOB I wouldn't put one on a wheelbarrow.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If you look around, you'll probably find hate threads for all of the major brands.

The Carlisle tires on my Ambassador put in 6 years of good service. They are a popular tire.

I think it is best to find a reputable dealer than worry about brand names.

Do you really need load range E for your Excella? I don't think the 'more is better' idea is a good one here. I figure tires that are rated for the GVWR divided by three makes for a good guide. On my Ambassador, that will be a load range C. The Carlisles I have had for the last 6 years were a load range D and tire wear indicates they were more than needed.

I do keep the tires at max sidewall PSI and make sure to check temperatures en route.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
I just put on my second set of Carlisle last week. The first set was installed on a 25' Safari and the most recent set was put on a 30' Classic w/SO. I like the E rated tires on the 30' because of the added safety factor for weight carrying capacity. The 30' weighs in around 9000# when loaded. Tires are a tough decision because someone has had a bad experience with every brand. Good luck..

Ken
grannyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
The "E" Carlisles have a 80 psi rating......am spooked about going with that stiff of a tire that it may cause problems for the trailer.......If I run at 60 psi would that cause a problem for the tire??..........Dennis
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi dk'...

moving to an E rated tire isn't wise, except perhaps on a 30 slide or the heaviest single axle units...

OR if the unit is gonna be PARKED somewhere most of the time.

higher rated tires generate and retain MORE heat (especially when UNDER inflated) and can still fail...

but finding a replacement on the road is a BIGGER problem..

most replacement ST tires (regardless of brand) available while traveling will be d rated...

mixing ST brands isn't a problem, but running Es and Ds together is messy, messy, messy...

the Es inflated to 80 psi would be great for parking...

but for travel i'd want Ds ALL around and inflated to exactly 65 psi...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Hate Carliles,took 2 tires to get car hauler to Ohio,loaded @ 5250#, then ended up with a brokn belt on another one on return trip with empty trailer.Came into home with 3 tires on ground.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Carlisle

Our first trip last summer across country on the return leg at Kerrville, Texas one Goodyear D rated on a 31 Classic 08 blew out due to over inflation. We replaced it with an E series Carlisle logically thinking E better load weight. I asked the service manager at the Sarasota Rally from AS and he said it should not be a problem. The trailer loaded certainly weighs over 9000.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
1200 miles on my Carlisles... all four going strong and holding pressure. First set of trailer tires ever, but feel good about them. My neighbor uses nothing but for many years now, he feels they are the best out there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
i ran carlisle tires on my 21' boat dual axle trailer and only had 1 problem in 3 years and probably about 3000 miles... had a decent size peice of the tread peel off..looked like something hit it, however it held air and made it about 200 miles.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Frankly I dont know what to do. I thought that the E's would give me that extra bit of insurance; but several folks that I know and respect their advice say to go with the D's. All I really want is to PREVENT a blow out.

I ride old BMW motorcycles and seldom if ever go over 80 MPH, yet I buy tires that are rated for 130. Simple insurance to avoid problems. Is my thinking incorrect about the same philosophy for trailer tires. Am not one to throw away money as in buying premium gas when regular goes just as well.

So, if I run the E's down at a pressure that won't damage the trailer, like 65, I am causing problems with the tires?

A no win situation. The next thing is the brand of tires.......Have read 2Air's Marathon thread info and am really stumped.......I do know that I have had 3 blowouts in like 12k miles, check pressures and cruise at around 60.

Brand perhaps doesnt matter, purchase the grade of tire based upon weight rather than insurance of a stronger tire, run a high PSI (60), and replace every 3 years no matter what the mileage. Would this philosophy be the way to avoid blowouts?

So, what to do?...........thanks for your time and help......Dennis
Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
double post
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Dennis, I know what you mean, it's a tough decision, because smart and respected friends/colleagues have had good and bad experiences with just about every brand of tire.

I've never owned a travel trailer, but for what it's worth, I've run Goodyear Marathon Ds on my boat trailer for over 10 years and never had a problem with them. It's a single axle trailer and the boat/motor/trailer weigh around 3500-4000 lbs.

There are certainly some smart and respected folks who appear to have had good experiences with Carlisle, so I don't think I'd just accept at face value the negative experiences that some might have had. And in general, like anything else, the preventive maintenance is the key-- maintaining proper tire pressures, regularly checking for signs of unusual wear and separation, and the like. And even then, sometimes blowouts just occur...

-Marcus
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Go for it...

I feel your pain. I just purchased 4 Carlisle's - D load rating for my 1970 31' Sovereign. I can't afford to buy these again for a while, so I hope they are O.K. for a couple of seasons. Mine were made 11/07 and in China. I have only put about 250 miles on them, but so far, so good. Feel good towing - minimal/no swaying.

I was in the same place you are now, because before I purchased the tires, I read and read and read about all the negitive comments on each brand. I really struggled with the decision.

I wish you the best, and can say that once you make the decision to buy whatever you choose, life will be easier.

Regards,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hi Dennis,

We went with another solution to the tire failure dilemma: after 4 out of 5 Goodyear Marathons tires that came with our 2005 30' Safari separated, we were not going to put another Marathon tire on our trailer. We switched to 16" rims and Michelin XPS Rib tires. You can see the thread here.

So far we have 5000 + miles on the Michelins with no problems. Others we know have had a similar experience after the change-over with no negative consequences. You can adjust the air pressure in the XPS Rib tire to the load capacity precisely given the inflation chart available at the Michelin RV tire web site.

I hope this helps.

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Paul,

I see that AS is using 16 x 6 rims on the new Pan American 34 footer to carry the weight of the toy hauler. But the tires are Greenball Hiway Master. Sigh.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Paul.......I really wish I had the money to go with all new wheels.......and yes, I know how much monetary damage can be caused by ONE failure.......It's on my list to do this; but not right now......When I need axles, disc brake conversion, and then switch out the wheels..........BUT FOR NOW.......

Scott and UTEE.........thanks for the thoughts and really for the understanding of the dilema......

At any rate, we are in Destin at the Army Rec Camp.......here till the 18th when we move on to a shoot for the Navy over at Jacksonville.........Get up....drink some coffee.....go down to the beach......lunch.....nap......get up and edit......cook dinner....edit some more......ahhhhhhhhhhh such a life.......
In other words, I can put off the decision till we move on the 18th so can sit back and research a bit more or just trust in HIM to take care of it.......Dennis
Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I love the Florida panhandle-- IMO the most beautiful beaches in all of the USA. You're a lucky man.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Does anyone use Carlisle tires? They have an E that is rated at 2830 lbs at 80 psi..........

Any feedback would be apprecicated as I need a set and am not gonna go with Marathons.

Thanks.........Dennis
Dennis, I have the Carlisle radials on my 31' load E (2830lbs @ 80psi). The PO put them on 2 weeks before I bought the trailer 2 years ago. I have since put several thousand miles on them with no issues thus far. They are monted to the original aluminum mags and I inflate to 80 psi. They have never lost pressure and I have not had any issues with "rough ride".

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote