Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

What do you know about this brand of tire?
That tire is made by Kenda. Here is there web site:
Here is the answer I got when I was searching for a tire better than the Marathon. Replys like this one drove me to go to 16 inch wheels and LT tires.

You may not know this sender. Mark as safe | Mark as unsafe
Sent: Thu 10/20/05 11:05 AM
Cc: Cindy McGrail (

Hi ,

The trailer tires all designed for speed rating at 65 mph. Lots of people towing at much higher speed is not what tire manufacturer recommended.

The consideration of upgrading to 16" tire seems related to loading capacity issue instead of speed rating issue. As far as I know, there's no 16" tire has same loading capacity with same OD as 15" tire. Even if it has that most likely will be a LT tire not the trailer tire. You will having the risk of using LT tire or pay more for people make the reinforced LT tire to be fit for trailer application.

We will have a 10P ST225/75R15 tire at 2830 lbs capacity available soon if that's what you need.

Hope this help!

Hank Chang

I assume that you have a 30FT slide (heavier).
You may need the Load Range E tire, however, The long pole in this is speed rating. You need better rubber compounds to withstand the higher heat or inflate the tires til there rock hard(Goodyears suggestion to overinflate by 10 psi to run faster than 65) but that will just beat the devil out of your trailer.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Whoa !, It makes you think if there is such a thing as a quality tire for travel trailers!.

Beginner, thank you for the info.

2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

This reply and others like it from other tire manufacturers of ST tires is why I stopped raging on just Marathons. Its a tire type/class problem. Again, would I put ST tires on my boat trailer that goes across town at 45 miles an hour or less on a trip that lasts 45 minutes or less? Yes I would.

That being said, Cooper makes a Custom Trailer Plus, ST22575R15
Cooper Tires - Tire Specifications
with a speed rating of S (112 MPH).
Tire Tech - Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

These Cooper Sustom Trailer Plus Tires are hard to get a hold of, but if they perform as advertised, theoritically, you will not have any trouble with them.
BF Goodrich Commercial T/As in the LT22575R16 Load Range D are a lot more available on the road (you still hit stuff on the road you know).
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Originally Posted by lewster

Are you sure about that max cold pressure. Typically, LR 'D' tires get 65psi and LR 'E' tires like the LT 225/75-16 that I run on my Sprinter and now on my 19CCD go to 80 PSI max cold.

Better check the sidewalls of your tires again....please!
Yup, The side walls say 80PSI max. cold. I use a digital tire pressure gauge and I will set them all at 79.5 psi. the guage resolution is +/- .5psi, so that way I know they are all within 1 psi of each other.
Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (charter member)

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
Yup, The side walls say 80PSI max. cold. I use a digital tire pressure gauge and I will set them all at 79.5 psi. the guage resolution is +/- .5psi, so that way I know they are all within 1 psi of each other.
Thanks Dave!

I'll sleep better tonight .

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote