Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That table eheffa mentions lines up with a Michelin chart in another location with pressure vs payload numbers. In one or two places, the weight in this table was 10 pounds less than the other table. Ten pounds is not a big difference in payload when you are at 2,560 or 2,550 pounds at 75 psi. That is within scale error.

Yesterday, I ordered the T03-66655T SenDel wheels. Today UPS brought the Centramatic wheel balancers for both the 2014 24FB Classic Airstream on order and our Dodge tow vehicle.

When the wheels arrive next week, I will confirm the diameter of the valve stem hole in the wheel and hopefully be able to order a Dill TPMS. Dill mentions supporting valve stem diameters of 0.453" and 0.625". My initial guess is that I will order the Dill #1506-501T that includes the #1900 monitor system.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That table eheffa mentions lines up with a Michelin chart in another location with pressure vs payload numbers. In one or two places, the weight in this table was 10 pounds less than the other table. Ten pounds is not a big difference in payload when you are at 2,560 or 2,550 pounds at 75 psi. That is within scale error.

Yesterday, I ordered the T03-66655T SenDel wheels. Today UPS brought the Centramatic wheel balancers for both the 2014 24FB Classic Airstream on order and our Dodge tow vehicle.

When the wheels arrive next week, I will confirm the diameter of the valve stem hole in the wheel and hopefully be able to order a Dill TPMS. Dill mentions supporting valve stem diameters of 0.453" and 0.625". My initial guess is that I will order the Dill #1506-501T that includes the #1900 monitor system.
Hi switz

I am looking to order a set of these too. Where did you order your Sendal Wheels from?

- evan

Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Sendel Wheel Purchase

I purchased mine online at Performance Plus Tire:

Sendel Wheels || Sendel Rims - Buy Wheels and Rims Online from Performance Plus Wheel and Tire
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #102
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
CapriRacer: I have read numerous places that when using a "P" tire for a trailer application, we do in fact have to use the "de-rated load formula". However, I have read that when using a LT tire for trailer, we do not have to de-rate from the stated sidewall load. Any comment on that would be appreciated.
First, it is true.

Why? I traced this back to the introduction of P metric tires in the 1960's. The very first appearance of this note coincides with the first appearance of the P metric load table in the Tire and Rim Association yearbook.

An educated guess on my part is that "trucks" are different than "cars" by the fact that the suspensions on "cars" are much softer than they are on "trucks". This means the tires on "cars" don't have to absorb as much road input as the tires on "trucks".

A principle of tires is that load carrying capacity is a function of the size of the tire (its physical dimensions), the inflation pressure, the operating speed AND the roughness of the road surface. While that last one only seems to apply to specialty tires, I think that was the rationale behind the derating.

I put the words "cars" and "trucks" in quoted because it is getting harder and harder to distinguish the boundary between the 2. Is an SUV a "truck". How about a van? And remember, the note was first applied in the 1960's where the difference is much clearer.

I don't think I have to explain why a trailer is considered more like a "truck" than a "car".

The rule is applicable to "multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck, bus, or trailer". I think that first entry means vans.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #103
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I've talked about this on some other threads and here too.......Jack
I'm truncating the post I'm responding to to save space. Besides, no one re-reads those things anyway.

First, the Discount Tire statement is mis-leading because of the way they have stated it.

There is an engineering principle called "fatigue", where the strength of something affects the number of cycles it takes to cause a failure. This is described by an S-N curve (stress vs number of cycles) for the material involved. Roughly speaking cutting the stress GREATLY improves the number of cycles to failure - orders of magnitude.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on the subject:

Fatigue (material) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially note the S-N Curve for Brittle Aluminum about 1/3 the way down the page. Most S-N curves look something like that - including rubber.

And for reference, 50,000 miles is about 60 million (10^6) cycles.

I think what Discount Tire was trying to say was that after 3 years of use, approximately 1/3 of the tire's fatigue life is used up.

But, Jack, I've done the math, and I think even the Load Range E's are marginal for fatigue. I think you need to go up another step.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
Thanks.

- evan
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I ordered the five SenDel wheels from my local Discount Tire as recommended by SenDel. The wheels were $103 plus $10 freight on each plus the governor's contribution for a total of $610.48

The tires will come from CostCo the week before the trailer arrives so they are as fresh as possible.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Monkton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post

Thanks.

- evan
Check the availability at performance plus. I ordered in June and they were out of stock. Said they would have them first week of July. Mid July asked for update wouldn't be in stock till mid August. Canceled order and went elsewhere.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #107
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Hi switz

I am looking to order a set of these too. Where did you order your Sendal Wheels from?

- evan
Also, if you have a tredit location near you, I believe they are a wholesale/retail supplier of Sendel
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

I've been using the Dill since I put my LTX Michelins on one year ago. After having a TPMS now, I would never want to tow without one. Tire pressure is a crucial part of maintenance and safe driving. The Dill is convenient, and it raises confidence to know all your tires are "spot on" the target pressure.

In my application (Suburban) I had to use the Dill roof antenna mounted all the way on the back end of the Suburban roof. The small rubber duck antenna for the dash mount wasn't strong enough. With the roof mount, it worked perfectly and reliably.

My one quibble with the Dill model I have is that it shows the tire pressure (or temp) sequentially in rotation. It would be better if it stored the four readings and showed them all on the display at once. Minor point.

Enjoy your new rig!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Sendel Lug nuts

I am about to pull the trigger on some Sendel T02 Rims.

Do I need to buy new Lug Nuts or will the OEM lug nuts on the AS suffice?

-evan
Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I would suggest contacting SenDel to verify the lug nut socket design is the same in the T02 wheel models as in the T03 wheel models that Airstream uses.

Going into the Airstream online parts manual that includes the Eddie Bauer models to the wheel section, one sees that the same lugnuts are used on the 15" Airstream wheels and 16" SenDel wheels.

Having said that, I did order McGard 64010 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (1/2" - 20 Thread Size) and the matching McGard 24138 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks (1/2" - 20 Thread Size) from Amazon. These are solid metal, not a shiny thin foil over a steel lug nut like what comes from Airstream as OEM equipment.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Hi switz

- evan
I got my Sendel T02s and Michelin 16s from America's Tire (Discount Tire) They have over 850 stores in the US. Never balked about installing the wheels/tire on the trailer.

Their stores seem to be run with military precision and their prices are very competitive.

There is a Discount Tire in Bellingham. WA
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
Check the availability at performance plus. I ordered in June and they were out of stock. Said they would have them first week of July. Mid July asked for update wouldn't be in stock till mid August. Canceled order and went elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Also, if you have a tredit location near you, I believe they are a wholesale/retail supplier of Sendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I got my Sendel T02s and Michelin 16s from America's Tire (Discount Tire) They have over 850 stores in the US. Never balked about installing the wheels/tire on the trailer.

Their stores seem to be run with military precision and their prices are very competitive.

There is a Discount Tire in Bellingham. WA
Thanks everyone.

I tried all of these outlets online. The best option after dealing with the quite variable & expensive cross-border shipping turned out to be easternmarine.com. I have my Sendel T02 rims on order now too.

Thanks to everyone for their help...

What a great resource this forum is! I don't know how we could have steered through all these issues & questions without the use of this group's expertise & experience.

Now on to the Centramatics question.

-evan