Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #441
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Did Airstream announce that somewhere? Could you share a link to the story please? Thanks.
Users have reported here that they came on their new 2017 models, and I asked AS about getting them this summer when I take my unit in for service. They said they could and that they just started getting them in.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #442
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Interesting. Thanks SeaLevel.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #443
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have not had any problems with the gym's, 22,000 miles ,3.5 years they show even wear at 50 0/0. Replaced with 16" michelins. I run them on my big trucks , also the steer axle tire is the same on my trailer, so far showing no wear at 10,000 miles....you get what you pay for, there are no bargains out there.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have not had any problems with the gym's, 22,000 miles ,3.5 years they show even wear at 50 0/0. Replaced with 16" michelins. I run them on my big trucks , also the steer axle tire is the same on my trailer, so far showing no wear at 10,000 miles....you get what you pay for, there are no bargains out there.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #445
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
After about 50 years of driving on Michelins I had my first blow out. I was driving my car equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport Y speed rated tires. While driving up the ridge cut on I-24 in Chattanooga I was sandwiched in with a tractor trailer in front and on the right. A pickup truck was on the left. All of a sudden I saw something yellow come out from under the trailer in front. Too late to avoid it I struck it with my right front tire. The tire immediately blew, but the car remained very much under control. I exited to the emergency lane to change the tire. Shortly after a Tennessee TDOT safety truck pulled up. Asked if I saw what I hit. I said I only had time to see that it was yellow. From his truck he pulled a huge steel hook. He said that it must have fallen from a tow truck used to retrieve tractor trailers. The tire side was blown out by a cut. The M-B aluminum wheel was bent, and the front facia was trashed. About $2,500.00 damage to the car. Thank goodness the car did not behave erratically. The tire did not shred.

Absolutely not the fault of the tire. The rim was bent even inside. In fact the good construction of the tire maybe responsible for not having an accident. Yep, replaced it with another Michelin.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #446
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Michelins vs GYE?

Guess the question might be, why is AS offering the Michelins as standard equipment on the flagship Classic and some other special models, and as options now on other models, vs GYE or GYM? Seems they should get better pricing if they stuck with one mfg. or maybe that is just my logic?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #447
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Manufactures (of all products) will do different things on high end, special issue models that is not done on lower end models. Not saying this is the case here. It just has been my experience.

Or dress up a similar model to create a new model. (with a different look)

The proof of all of that is in sales and market demand. In addition a manuafacture may decrease or increase the list price (or dealer cost) by small margin (say a $100) to see what impact that has on sales in the same period a year previous. If putting on less expensive tires and dropping the sales price results in greater sales, all manufactures are going to do that.

The industry in general has a bad rap for cheap tires. And tire companies make cheap ST tires because manufactures request them. The market place is so much different than passenger cars, where the RV market place uses this product on an infrequent basis. In addition many more passenger vehicles are to get from point A to point B. A travel trailer is to live in on a short term basis. Movement is part of the usage however there is a signifcant percentage of RVs that do very little movement. If it isn't moving why have a high end tire. The manufacture does not know the end user, only what sells the most. If the competition is selling for less you have to train your sales force to educate the buyer on why to pay the extra money. Or drop the sales price to meet the market. (Or some combination) IN addition to all of that is the market place changes all of the time. So the hot seller today may be so so tomorrow for no other reasons than the market changed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #448
2 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Southwest Michigan , Michigan
Spare storage

I will be posting tomorrow on this forum. I did the change over to 16" wheels and tires. Part of the post will be pictures of what I did. This includes the new tire and rim in the original area for the spare on the trailer. It fits, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Some upgrade the spare. They say it will fit- sometimes with slight bending of the pat that holds the tire in.
I did not upgrade the spare. Budget-
Another wheel/tire would have been another $265 or more.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #449
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We acquired a SenDel S62-66655G galvanized wheel for our 16" spare on our Classic. I also have a spare SenDel T03-66655T wheel "just in case" in storage.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #450
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Ray- Just up graded to the 16" Sendel wheels /Michelin LT X tires. Very happy with up grade. Just one note of caution, just be sure to torque the lug nuts until they are completely seated in. How do you know when they are seated in? When the lug nuts stop moving when being torqued. Unfortunately there is no specific number of miles. Three of mine set in during the first 200 miles, the fourth wheel decided not to cooperate and took off down the I-10 freeway in Tucson AZ along with six lug nuts. Minor damage to the lower rear quarter panel. Felt nothing from the AS, wouldn't have known anything happened were it not for the rear view camera. Saw it bouncing down the freeway. Whoops. Fortunately I bought 5 wheels and tires . Robed lug nuts from the other 3 wheels to bolt on the 4th. Got me to my destination 90 miles later. Had shop remove brake and replace all lug studs and new lug nuts. Took over 500 miles before new wheel and lugs set in. Never had this happen before. Always torqued to spec.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #451
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Ray- Just up graded to the 16" Sendel wheels /Michelin LT X tires. Very happy with up grade. Just one note of caution, just be sure to torque the lug nuts until they are completely seated in. How do you know when they are seated in? When the lug nuts stop moving when being torqued. Unfortunately there is no specific number of miles. Three of mine set in during the first 200 miles, the fourth wheel decided not to cooperate and took off down the I-10 freeway in Tucson AZ along with six lug nuts. Minor damage to the lower rear quarter panel. Felt nothing from the AS, wouldn't have known anything happened were it not for the rear view camera. Saw it bouncing down the freeway. Whoops. Fortunately I bought 5 wheels and tires . Robed lug nuts from the other 3 wheels to bolt on the 4th. Got me to my destination 90 miles later. Had shop remove brake and replace all lug studs and new lug nuts. Took over 500 miles before new wheel and lugs set in. Never had this happen before. Always torqued to spec.

Wow, that sucks.. torgue lug nuts..guess one more thing to add to the newbie remember to do list.
txnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #452
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
My AS owners manual says "If the wheel was replaced, check the torque every 10, 25, and 50 miles."

I have tried to remember to do this on my trailer. And I have found nuts that moved a little when I re-torqued them. But not when I'm beyond a hundred miles. 500 miles seems like a heck of a lot!

Any chance your torque wrench has gone out of calibration?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #453
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:

I had a right rear rim on my pickup stress fracture around the bolt holes while pulling a 22'er and the WD hitch kept the rear of the pickup level, but I saw a tire passing me on the passenger side going downhill in rural KY. Took me a moment to say, THAT'S MY TIRE! Stopped and went looking for it. It was a great tire even if the rim was ruined.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #454
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
My AS owners manual says "If the wheel was replaced, check the torque every 10, 25, and 50 miles."

I have tried to remember to do this on my trailer. And I have found nuts that moved a little when I re-torqued them. But not when I'm beyond a hundred miles. 500 miles seems like a heck of a lot!

Any chance your torque wrench has gone out of calibration?
Nope torque wrench OK. This left rear wheel and one or two lug nuts on that wheel seemed to always need a flat turn every day Or so while the AS was parked even before I left the storage facility. Checked at 10 miles out seemed ok. Checked again at 200 miles one nut required a complete turn. All the other 3 wheels Ok. Wheel left me 200 miles later.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #455
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post

I had a right rear rim on my pickup stress fracture around the bolt holes while pulling a 22'er and the WD hitch kept the rear of the pickup level, but I saw a tire passing me on the passenger side going downhill in rural KY. Took me a moment to say, THAT'S MY TIRE! Stopped and went looking for it. It was a great tire even if the rim was ruined.
Nope didn't go back. Freeway widening construction on right shoulder underway complete with concrete "k" rails blocking right shoulder. Not safe under the best of conditions in daylight, this was 8:00 pm at night.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #456
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
lakeland , Florida
Send a message via AIM to nursematt
got to love them marathons

i have been thinking of upgrading my wheels and tires. had a 1500 mile trip last week and two blow outs both marathon's. that is not the only time had a blow out. wouldn't be so bad except when they blow they do so much damage. anyone else having the same problems? i so sick of changing tires on side of the road. i do ck the psi before each pull and the shape of the tire to make sure no visible dmage. even bought one of them tpms. to make the wife feel more comforrable. any help appreciated.
nursematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #457
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursematt View Post
i have been thinking of upgrading my wheels and tires. had a 1500 mile trip last week and two blow outs both marathon's. that is not the only time had a blow out. wouldn't be so bad except when they blow they do so much damage. anyone else having the same problems? i so sick of changing tires on side of the road. i do ck the psi before each pull and the shape of the tire to make sure no visible dmage. even bought one of them tpms. to make the wife feel more comforrable. any help appreciated.
1 read the whole thread.
2 there are lots of other threads that say similar things.
3 to sum up most of the threads on this subject, many people have swapped to 16 inch Sendel wheels and Michelin LT tires. Those who have done so seem exceedingly happy. Airstream also offers the 16 inch whheels and Michilin tires as a upgrade, and on some trailers, standard equipment.
4 if you don't want to go to 16 inch whheels there are Michilin and Nokiaan tires that people have had success with, but smaller numbers of people have chosen this route.
5 some refuse to use anything other than a "trailer tire" on their trailer, even though there seems to be more anecdotal evidence that ST tires are problematic.
6 YMMV

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #458
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Junk the Airstream lug nuts with metal casing

I have to agree with Mike and Post #457. I also want to add:

When I 'upgraded' my wheels and tires... I discarded the lug nuts that came with the 15 inch wheels. These are those lug nuts with the thin metal covering to make them look better... or? I have never understood why this kind of lug nut, but that is not the purpose of this Thread. They are easily damaged when removed and the socket will not easily fit.

The lug nuts were cost effective that were offered with the Sendel Wheel purchase. They are solid and in all appearances, much superior to those that came with our Airstream.

Some mounting a wheel onto their Airstream, may not have practice how to properly tighten the lug nuts, rotating the wheel and do it in a methodical method. This way each lug nut is seated properly and there is a method to tighten them, opposite one another to get the lug nut and wheel 'seated' to the drums (in our case).

I have not had loose lug nuts... ever. I check them from time to time, but the first time I have a lug nut become loose... I would remove that one and look it over.

Losing a wheel while moving would be a good reason to check out what kind of lug nut you are using. It could be the lug nut and not the user's installation.

I have NEVER had a loose lug nut on my vehicles nor trailers. Much like installing head gaskets onto an engine block, it is important to do it right. Otherwise, you will be having to redo it.

I prefer the SOLID lug nuts over the Airstream provided lug nuts. The Airstream lug nuts would not make very good fishing weights... either. Junk them and use lug nuts recommended to be used with your new Sendel wheels.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #459
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Be careful when selecting after-market lug-nuts. There are different shapes that might not be apparent at first glance.
There are "conical" and there are "bulge" and there are "conical-bulge".... and it's important that the nut accurately fit the hole in the wheel in order for the torque to not change or completely loosen the nut. (The "fit" of the nut against the wheel involves the surface-area-friction which prevents the nut from loosening.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #460
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I have to agree with Mike and Post #457. I also want to add:

When I 'upgraded' my wheels and tires... I discarded the lug nuts that came with the 15 inch wheels. These are those lug nuts with the thin metal covering to make them look better... or? I have never understood why this kind of lug nut, but that is not the purpose of this Thread. They are easily damaged when removed and the socket will not easily fit.

The lug nuts were cost effective that were offered with the Sendel Wheel purchase. They are solid and in all appearances, much superior to those that came with our Airstream.

Some mounting a wheel onto their Airstream, may not have practice how to properly tighten the lug nuts, rotating the wheel and do it in a methodical method. This way each lug nut is seated properly and there is a method to tighten them, opposite one another to get the lug nut and wheel 'seated' to the drums (in our case).

I have not had loose lug nuts... ever. I check them from time to time, but the first time I have a lug nut become loose... I would remove that one and look it over.

Losing a wheel while moving would be a good reason to check out what kind of lug nut you are using. It could be the lug nut and not the user's installation.

I have NEVER had a loose lug nut on my vehicles nor trailers. Much like installing head gaskets onto an engine block, it is important to do it right. Otherwise, you will be having to redo it.

I prefer the SOLID lug nuts over the Airstream provided lug nuts. The Airstream lug nuts would not make very good fishing weights... either. Junk them and use lug nuts recommended to be used with your new Sendel wheels.
Underscore Ray post #457. Like Ray I never lost a lug nut, let alone a wheel on any of my vehicles including my former 2007 Safari 25 FB. Hard to know what the "cause" of loosing a lug nut. All four wheels were installed and torqued according to the method Ray describes. All four wheels were checked as mentioned above and verified with the torque wrench "click". Me thinks perhaps as Ray suggest one or two of the lug nuts was faulty initially causing the wheel to loosen up from vibrations. ( I did have Centramatic balancers on the wheel) hmm dunno.