Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
Well it started with checking the brakes...

I have a 1978 AS Tradewind and this weekend decided to check my hubs and brakes. Best thing I have done. I had a broken brake clip and saw that my pads were nearing replacement and decided to ,while I had the wheels off ,to attempt to replace the brakes. Long story short I and digging into this I am now thinking about just replacing the axles while I am at it. I found that by dropping one side of the axles I could pull the rusted nuts off of the bolts but had to grind the last one off.
Anyway, what do you guys recommend? Just replace the brakes or pull and replace the axles and brakes?
what would I be looking at pricewise for two complete BOLT IN Hendschen axles for the Trade wind?$$$$
either way the brakes will be replaced. How often do these axles tend to break and when they do break, what exactly breaks?

any help is appreciated
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
On our Sovereign, when the axle broke the rubber mount failed that holds the spindle (trailing arm) in place, and supported. Net result was that trailing arm nearly fell off the axle.
Usually, the failure is the rubber stiffens to the point that it no longer flexes, and all road shocks are transmitted into the body of the trailer. If when you jacked up your trailer, the wheel didn't drop down, but pretty much stayed where it was, you'll need new axles.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
For that particular axle brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantz
... what would I be looking at pricewise for two complete BOLT IN Hendschen axles for the Trade wind?$$$$

...any help is appreciated
inlandrv.com lists prices for new axles. Add a couple hundred for freight.

Or just call the place on Monday to confirm prices.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
I will phone Inland tomorrow and receive an estimate.
Its amazing how one small job can start to snowball. However brakes and tires are something to never skimp on.
After fighting with those rusted bolts I am think that my time and money would be best spent on upgrading and not trying to salvage 30 year old axles. and would be best to just frop both axles and be done with it
Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's a slippery slope...
You are currently in the "Mightaswells" stage of aluminitis.
You will find a 1/2" air gun extremely usefull in removing and installing the fasteners holding the axles in place. A squirt of Blaster, or Howe's oil the day before removal, will help a lot. Andy will give you a new set of grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers to install the new axles.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
One way out of a brake Job

Quote:
I will phone Inland tomorrow and receive an estimate.
Its amazing how one small job can start to snowball. However brakes and tires are something to never skimp on.
After fighting with those rusted bolts I am think that my time and money would be best spent on upgrading and not trying to salvage 30 year old axles. and would be best to just frop both axles and be done with it
I was very happy with what I got from Inland. The axels bolted right in and aligned. I got the axels with the brakes. My AS does sit noticably higher now. The axels will run about $800 plus freight. If you are getting two they will be banded together. Watch it when you cut the band, those things are heavy. Two men can carry one but it is difficult, a fork lift or dolly is handy. Two wheel dollys work perfectly for moving the axels around. Plenty of great advice on putting on axels in the forums. I think you will be happy with the result and not having to do the brake job.

Oh and the PB blaster/penatrant is definately good advice.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
brother overlander you sure called it. I am in the "might as well " mode pretty deep now
my 1/2 impact wrench paid for its self many times over on saturday as did the PB blaster. you sure know who your friends are as my good buddy helped out
those blasted nuts on the back part of the brake were a devil and i had to end up just grinding off the bolt since the last nut rounded off. I have 3 more complete sets of 5 ( 3 hubsw/ old brakes) to go it might as well be time to just replace the axles rather than keep busting knuckles and fighting and showing my neighbors all the cuss words I know..
I am worried about some of the info about Inland RV not crating the axles and getting a damaged axle. I had a friend who had a gun safe damamged when the shipping company didn't tie down the safe and it fell on the lock and caused extensive damage
any idea what a complete axle assembly weighs?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
As memory serves me the pair was 560 Lbs
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since you will be replacing the axles, you "mightaswell" replace the shocks, they are bolted to the axles, and go on easier with the axle off...
An FYI, Inland doesn't crate the axles, they get them as you receive them. If you are farther away from them than the factory, the axles will come to you direct from the factory.
Weight on ours was listed at 225 pounds each, and I had no reason to believe it was less...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
smokin camel great idea on the dolley. I might have to borrow our crate dolly to help get them under the AS. to do this easily I can now see my next project will be replacing the propane line that runs to my hot water heater.
I am ordering the shocks also. Looks like IRV has them for $30 until the end of this month.
where is the factory and I thought I saw something about INland having an east coast location??
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
smokin camel great idea on the dolley. I might have to borrow our crate dolly to help get them under the AS. to do this easily I can now see my next project will be replacing the propane line that runs to my hot water heater.
I am ordering the shocks also. Looks like IRV has them for $30 until the end of this month.
where is the factory and I thought I saw something about INland having an east coast location??
Henschen's factory is almost next door to the Airstream plant in Jackson Center, Ohio. They do stock a limited number of axles, and will ship them to you from whichever place is closest to you. In case you can't tell, I've been down the axle road recently, so I have this info sitting in a file folder in an overhead compartment where I'm sitting...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
... The axels will run about $800 plus freight. ...
That's for EACH axle.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
I figure when all is said and doen this repair will run me about $2,000. considering I only paid $5K for the AS last year I am not doing that bad.
Soi INland RV will drop ship teh axles from the Henschen Ohio plant? If they do that will be very good as I was dreading the freight from California.
Hey Overlander, How fast did they ship you your axles after ordering??
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I found a floor jack handy to line up the bolts on the last side (You can hold up and bolt up the first side easy). Also found that the shocks seemed to want to go on before the axle bolts, so i got to uninstall and reinsall the first axle. Put the axles on a rug or something, slide right under the AS no problem.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
now we are cooking. good ldea about the rug which just may keep me from replacing my gas line after all. It does appear that you would be best served putting the shocks on the axle first. I just hope I get the new axles on in the right direction.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
now we are cooking. good ldea about the rug which just may keep me from replacing my gas line after all. It does appear that you would be best served putting the shocks on the axle first. I just hope I get the new axles on in the right direction.
Here is a link to the thread where I replaced our axles. The axle-specific content starts about post #166:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...s-32395-2.html
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
great write up.
I am ready to get er done and attend the local AS rally in May.
thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Say HEY!

Hi, I'm in Virginia Beach. Been a member of these forums for about 3 years. Hope you have a good indoor place to work on your A/S - these rains and cold nights can really get to you.

Good luck with your axle repair. Hope to see you down the road soon.

Paula
Old 03-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
new axles ordered today with Inland. a couple of weeks for delivery should give me some time for removing the clearcoat and making it shine
thanks for the help;
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I was very please with the service from Inland. The axles made a lot of difference over the old ones, which were frozen in place. I swapped the out, alone in about 3 hours. A floor jack is an neccesity and a freind would be a lot of help.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote