Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Remove brakes to replace axles?

Having read some stuff here and taking a look at the position of my axle arms I see that they need to be replaced. That also explains some recent minor interior damage. It also looks like it will be necessary to remove the mounting plates for the electric brakes in order to get on the axle bolts with an impact wrench. Is this correct?

If so, while it would be easy enough to soak the axle and shock bolts for a few days with PB Blaster by just crawling under the trailer, I was wondering if the bolts for the brakes normally need such a treatment or if the impact wrench alone should be able to take them off.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Having read some stuff here and taking a look at the position of my axle arms I see that they need to be replaced. That also explains some recent minor interior damage. It also looks like it will be necessary to remove the mounting plates for the electric brakes in order to get on the axle bolts with an impact wrench. Is this correct?

If so, while it would be easy enough to soak the axle and shock bolts for a few days with PB Blaster by just crawling under the trailer, I was wondering if the bolts for the brakes normally need such a treatment or if the impact wrench alone should be able to take them off.

Christopher
Why bother with the brakes, unless they are new?

Just use a couple of wrenches with some effort.

Or, burn the bolts off.

We supply new grade 8 hardware with our replacements.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Andy,

The brakes are old. Probably the original from 1979. I would certainly pull the old drums off to lighten things up for removal, but really want to know if the mounting plates block a "straight shot" to the bolt heads, preventing use of an impact wrench. If so I would take them off just to use the impact wrench as I don't have a "flame wrench."

FYI, I will be buying the axles from you, but saving shipping costs by picking them up at the axle factory in Jackson Center. I have the good fortune of living about two hours from there. New shocks too of course.

Christopher

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Andy,

The brakes are old. Probably the original from 1979. I would certainly pull the old drums off to lighten things up for removal, but really want to know if the mounting plates block a "straight shot" to the bolt heads, preventing use of an impact wrench. If so I would take them off just to use the impact wrench as I don't have a "flame wrench."

FYI, I will be buying the axles from you, but saving shipping costs by picking them up at the axle factory in Jackson Center. I have the good fortune of living about two hours from there. New shocks too of course.

Christopher
I will be back in the office about 9:30 today.

You can get at the bolts from the back side, with the impact.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
You'll have to wait for that phone call. I'll be placing the order in a month or so.

As for getting to the bolts from the backside, that will be possible with some but not all. The enclosures for the fresh water and holding tanks will be in the way of most, allowing only enough room to get a box wrench in.

I know I could leave the brakes in place and get a breaker bar in on the front side with a pipe extension on the handle and get them loose. I just prefer the air impact wrench whenever possible.

Christopher

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I was able to use an impact wrench to remove my axles and did not have to remove the brakes. Mine were not really sagged out but it would be easy to check on your trailer by running a tire up a ramp and removing the other, just like changing a flat. The bolts should be staring you in the face.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote