Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
FYI - I replaced my axle because the replacement axle that was put on failed internally. The rubber rods had frozen in place. I got a chance to talk with the previous, previous owner and she told me that the original Caravel axle had failed going over a set of railroad tracks. That explained to me why my outrigger was bent and why I had the skin damage on the right side. I went with the Henschen axle because I cold just swap it out with minimal fuss. Even though it costs more, it was worth it to me to have an OEM replacement that I could just bolt on.

Brian, If you believe your axle has been replaced previously you would be good to go with the things I spoke of in my last post. However, if you are able to determine if your axle is indeed the original 41 year old axle. I would urge you to think seriously about replacing the whole thing, backing plates and all. You don't have to go with the Henschen. Stefroberts used a Dexter axle on her Caravel. It worked out well for her. I'm sorry I didn't read the entire thread before my last post. My bad. I just assumed that you were working with a newer axle.

One way to tell if you have an original is the bearing size is different and the spindle size is different as well. I don't have the specs., I hope someone here does. Maybe Andy at Inland RV could chime in here with an easy way to tell. My Caravel is on its 3rd axle believe it or not.

Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by C Johnson
<snip> the original Caravel axle had failed going over a set of railroad tracks.
Interesting...the one we witnessed was going over a livestock grate. Same kind of jarring motion and very slow speed.

P.S. Thanks for the first hand report.
I think that makes three '65 Caravels, all with the same issue vs zero other models or years.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote