Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2002, 08:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Grabbing Brakes

I just put on new shoes, magnets. drums, bearings and seals. I pulled the trailer 500 miles with no problem but on the return trip the brakes started to grab.

While driving at speeds above about 25 MPH and applying the brakes there is no problem but when I come to a slow speed stop like in traffic the brakes grab hard like a panic stop. Even as I manuevered the TT in my driveway the brakes were either all or nothing. Could it be the controller (Prodigy) or is the problem in the brakes (mechanical)?

I tried to adjust the power knob but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Peace, Brian
Old 08-08-2002, 08:14 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You might want to get a meter and measure the voltage that your brake controller is putting out when your tow vehicle's brake pedal is depressed. I would measure with the vehicle dead stopped on level ground. That should be the absolute minimum of voltage being sent to the trailer brakes.

Unfortunately I have never done this measurement so I don't know what is proper but if I were in your shoes I would start my diagnosis here. You might contract the manufacturer of your control. They should be able to give you some numbers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:21 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Prodigy controller

I have a Prodigy, also, and it is very smooth. Your symptoms sound like what I experienced when I was first setting it up.

The Prodigy has 3 modes of applying the brakes. In two of the modes, the brakes get an initial heavy shot of current before going to the deceleration sensor. One mode gives a moderate initial current, the second mode gives a really heavy initial current. I can't use the modes that give the initial heavy current or my brakes grab too hard at slow speeds, just like you describe. These modes are supposed to improve performance with very heavy trailers. I don't need them with my 5000# trailer.

What I am guessing is that you somehow put the controller into either of the heavy initial current modes. You do this with the pushbutton switch on the right side of the controller with the trailer hooked up and, iff I remember right, your foot off the brake. The display shows what mode you are in. if the number is #.1, then you are in the moderate initial current mode. If the display is #.2, you are in the heaviest initial current mode. If there is no decimal number, then there is no initial shot of current.

I hope I described this adequately.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I believe after replacing brake components you should readjust the controller.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
Contributing Member

What changed at 500 miles? That is the question

If you read the original post again, the brakes were fine for 500 miles, then something changed. This is obviously not an initial adjustnment problem or an initial controller gain problem.

If something changed at 500 miles and the controller has three modes, two of which modes will cause brake grabbing at low speeds, the obvious first place to look is to find out what mode the controller was in when the problem occurred. The mode can be changed by accidentally bumping the button on the controller so it isn't far fetched to guess that the mode changed.

BTW: The Prodegy is normally wired hot to the battery, but can be removed from the mount and unplugged. I don't know the effect of unplugging the Prodegy; whether the mode is reset or changed when this occurs. I leave mine plugged in all of the time. It would probably be prudent to recheck the controller mode whenever the controller is removed and replugged.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-12-2002, 06:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
The advise you have received on checking the prodigy is good and should be the first thing I would check. My prodigy has one, two, or three lights that come on to tell which mode the brake controller is in. I cannot use any mode but one or my brakes will be grabby on light braking. If this does not solve the problem, look for grease on the brake linings. This could happen on a new job if too much grease was applied initially and it got pass the seals after using it for a while.
Good luck.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:55 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Prodigy controller

Apparently they changed the later Prodigys to have the 3 lights. Mine is one of the earliest ever shipped (I ordered before first shipment) and it has the decimal numbers as I described rather than the lights.

In either case, bets are that the controller ended up accidentally in one of the 2 modes that cause brake grabbing.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-12-2002, 08:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Brakes

Tekonsha has some troubleshooting on their site.

www.tekonsha.com

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Tradewind
I just put on new shoes, magnets. drums, bearings and seals. I pulled the trailer 500 miles with no problem but on the return trip the brakes started to grab.

While driving at speeds above about 25 MPH and applying the brakes there is no problem but when I come to a slow speed stop like in traffic the brakes grab hard like a panic stop. Even as I manuevered the TT in my driveway the brakes were either all or nothing. Could it be the controller (Prodigy) or is the problem in the brakes (mechanical)?

Peace, Brian
I had this problem with the right front wheel brake on my 97 25ft excella. I was caused by hard spots in the cast iron drum. inferior iron cast in china can contain hard spots and they are actually visible to the eye as a very shinny area. I had to replace the drum and brake assy. youy must also keep the brakes manually adjusted for wear as they kink a little and grab.
I do not believe the controller is involved.
ray midgley
Ray Midgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Another thing to check is contamination of the linings. If there is any stray grease in the brake assembly (following the bearing repack), it may have warmed enough during braking to drip onto the linings.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You can really smoke em with that thing set on 3 by mistake. Thanks
The guy next to the wheels thanks you to, not happy with me and will always remember the day he saw the old airstream.
"What's that honey?"
"Oh my God it's attacking!!!"
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Most vehicle drum brakes have leading and trailing shoes, don't know if this is true on AS. One shoe has more grip and is designed to grab and push both shoes against the drum. Reverse them and you will have problems. If there are different color linings they have a designated location.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Actually, after 500 miles, the brake shoes and drums may have finally "bedded in" and are working properly - it takes awhile for them to wear in to each other. And if your controller was set fairly high before when the old brakes were out of adjustment, maybe they are just feeling grabby now that they are working better. Might have to back it off some.

What kind of reading are you getting on the Prodigy display when you come up to a slow speed stop around town? I would first try lowering the voltage with the adjustment knob, in small increments. Mine rarely gets over 2.4 on slow speed stops. If it is set higher mine grab also, especially when cold. At higher speeds they can take a more voltage without feeling grabby. Of course comparing my old brakes to a newer setup is not probably valid anyway.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

I experienced this very same issue with my '57 caravanner and a Prodigy after driving a couple of hours. When moving in stop and go traffic, it would really start to grab. My feeling was the Prodigy was fine...

Scott
seaaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I used the Prodigy on the first boost setting until recently. I drive conservatively, no unusual hills or speeds.
A recent brake inspection revealed heavy wear on the brake magnets, and scores on the brake drum where the magnets ride.
These were brand new brakes on new axles, about 5000miles maximum on them. The linings are fine.
I also experienced grabby brakes, especially at slow speeds, or while driving in traffic. I now run with the boost setting off, and a little more brake power for normal braking. The diagnosis is that the Prodigy will slam the magnets too hard when the boost setting ( any of them ) is engaged and will cause pre-mature brake magnet and drum wear. I now recommend to NOT use any of the boost settings. I will also be looking for a different brake controller. After this last incident, I am less than pleased with the Prodigy.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #16
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
Speaking of Brake Magnets...can anyone point me in the right direction for a brakeing system schematic, drawing, or pictures? I am tring to do some maintenance myself and would like the reassurance that i am doing it correctly.

Thanks,
Steve
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
N. Richland Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If you read the original post again, the brakes were fine for 500 miles, then something changed. This is obviously not an initial adjustnment problem or an initial controller gain problem.

If something changed at 500 miles and the controller has three modes, two of which modes will cause brake grabbing at low speeds, the obvious first place to look is to find out what mode the controller was in when the problem occurred. The mode can be changed by accidentally bumping the button on the controller so it isn't far fetched to guess that the mode changed.

BTW: The Prodegy is normally wired hot to the battery, but can be removed from the mount and unplugged. I don't know the effect of unplugging the Prodegy; whether the mode is reset or changed when this occurs. I leave mine plugged in all of the time. It would probably be prudent to recheck the controller mode whenever the controller is removed and replugged.
FYI, new brakes shoes take a few miles to conform to the exact shape of the drums, this could be the reason why they did not initially exhibit the grabbing syndrome, and did afterwards. Suggest logging onto the manufacture's web site and reading his technical publications on the subject. Rest asssured you are not the only person who has experienced this white knuckle event. Cheers!
T2Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Tradewind View Post

Peace, Brian
Back off the brakes a bit
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
As long as they all lockup at the same time, don't worry. I would recalibrate the lockup voltage at the speed where they are locking up. These brakes work better at low speeds. You can also back off the lockup point more than usual and adjust boost settings to 0 or 1. I expect they will need some breaking in. Also self adjusting brakes are good because you have all 4 brakes adjusted the same. I have my brakes at something like 5V or I get lockup. Sometimes if you are driving in slow stop and go traffic you have to back off the boost or the voltage setting for lockup.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
16 year old thread comes back!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote