Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Kingston Springs , Tennessee
Do I need new Axles?

I have a 1975 Soverign, 31 Land Yacht. I have the trailer jack up and the axles on block I was going to replace the Electronic Brake Backer Plate. While the trailer was jacked up and under no load I jacked the axle brake arm of the toro-flex axle. The arm only travels a distance of 1 inch up before the trailer starts to lift off the jack stand. Does this mean that the rubber rods in the axle are solidified and the axle needs replaced?

I have heard the rule theat if there is no maovement after 5% up then the axle is shot. I do not know how to measure the 5% criterion. But I am thinking that an 1 inch of movement is not sufficient to have an adequate suspension.

Can anyone please advise me?

If so can you suggest where I can purchase replacement axles?
How do I get the proper axle for the trailer? Where do I find the axle number?
jrvly1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Call Andy at Inland Rv, he can help you figure all that out. www.inlandrv.com
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Drop the trailer back to the ground and look at the angle to trailing arm makes with the ground. If the arm is parallel to the ground or pointing upwards towards the rear of the trailer you are in the market for new axles. Just the age alone says you most likely need them.

Shop around there is now more than one source and the price reflects that.

Henschen is now using Chinese bearing so you may want to just buy bare axles and build the hubs and backer plates.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
the top of your wheel well should also split your tires if the top of your rim is at the bottom of the wheel well then you have shot axels..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Everybody is using Chinese bearings, Timken and Koyo are available but at 5 to 6 times the price of the Chinese stuff, the other side of the coin is that the Chinese bearings are made to the same tolerances. Has anyone had any failures from the cheaper brands? Realize that the Airstream trailers are using 12" components while all the othersame size/weight box trailersare using 10" stuff.
Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Assuming you have the original axles, they are 34 years old.

Yes, you need new axles.

Do not waste your time replacing the backing plates. (I did that with my first one and it took as much time as replacing the axles, but all I had to show for it was new backing plates.)

You can replace your axles with either OEM Henschens (from InlandRV) or Dexters, provided you give them the correct measurements.

I put new Dexters on my '73 Sovereign back in 2007 and it's not that difficult.

Just returned from a 2000 mile road trip to Niagara Falls (furthest point north) and the axles performed wonderfully. They make a HUGE difference in the ride (and corresponding inner chaos).

PM me if you need more info.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Kingston Springs , Tennessee
exter Axles and Positioning

I undertand that the dexter axle requires drilling other mounting holes. How do you mount them so that you do not change the alignment?

Can you use one of the existing holes and just drill the second hole to fit?

Thanks for all your help?
jrvly1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As long as you have ONE ORIGINAL bolt on both sides of an axle they will be aligned as well as any production axle could be. Now that said production axles are not aligned with themselves to the extent you would want. If you install new axles check them yourself or have them checked at a truck trailer shop. The easy way to check them is to lay an 8 ft florescent light bulb along the center line of the tires and see if all tire surfaces touch the bulb. You can accept about 0 to 3/32 toe in. Just make sure you are touching the same surface on each tire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvly1976 View Post
I have a 1975 Soverign, 31 Land Yacht. I have the trailer jack up and the axles on block I was going to replace the Electronic Brake Backer Plate. While the trailer was jacked up and under no load I jacked the axle brake arm of the toro-flex axle. The arm only travels a distance of 1 inch up before the trailer starts to lift off the jack stand. Does this mean that the rubber rods in the axle are solidified and the axle needs replaced?

I have heard the rule theat if there is no maovement after 5% up then the axle is shot. I do not know how to measure the 5% criterion. But I am thinking that an 1 inch of movement is not sufficient to have an adequate suspension.

Can anyone please advise me?

If so can you suggest where I can purchase replacement axles?
How do I get the proper axle for the trailer? Where do I find the axle number?
You can check the axles out yourself, by reading the article in Airstream Central.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
the top of your wheel well should also split your tires if the top of your rim is at the bottom of the wheel well then you have shot axels..

It was brought to my attention recently that there was a difference in the axle mounting height and the wheelwell cut-out height in some years. This may be from earlier models than we are talking about here, I'm not sure. The comparison of the wheel to the wheelwell is not enough to go on for a decision on axle replacement IMHO. I would only rely on the axle movement method(jacking up the axle to check travel). It should move more than 1" in any case, more like 2-1/2" to 3" for safe travel.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I second the above comment!

After doing my replacement, according to the "wheel well test" my axle would be marginal.

I suspect it most cases the test is probably ok, but I wouldn't spend money without taking a look at the travel.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvly1976 View Post
I undertand that the dexter axle requires drilling other mounting holes. How do you mount them so that you do not change the alignment?

Can you use one of the existing holes and just drill the second hole to fit?

Thanks for all your help?
At least on my '72, there is no possible way to mis-align the new axles becaise the axle tube itself fits up into a cut-out of the "fish-plate", the flat steel stock welded onto the chassis frame. I had to re-drill ALL the mounting bolt holes on my Dexters, but with a "blair-cutter" (like a hole saw, for steel) it was not that hard..
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
At least on my '72, there is no possible way to mis-align the new axles becaise the axle tube itself fits up into a cut-out of the "fish-plate", the flat steel stock welded onto the chassis frame. I had to re-drill ALL the mounting bolt holes on my Dexters, but with a "blair-cutter" (like a hole saw, for steel) it was not that hard..
Yes you could have a misalignment.

Airstream engineers had the axle mounting plates on the curbside, moved a little more forward from the road side, by 1/16, 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch.

If you mounted the axles in the square notches, they still could be out of alignment because the position of the axle mounting plate would force that issue.

There is another post that better descibes that situation, in detail.

Andy
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Yes you could have a misalignment.

Airstream engineers had the axle mounting plates on the curbside, moved a little more forward from the road side, by 1/16, 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch.

If you mounted the axles in the square notches, they still could be out of alignment because the position of the axle mounting plate would force that issue.

There is another post that better descibes that situation, in detail.

Andy
Curious info. Now, please describe for all of us the proper way to mount new axles, which apparently would involve either modifying or completely disregarding the "square notches" in the mounting plate, in order to correct the apparently intentional mis-alignment of the original equipment by Airstream Engineers. Thankyou- tim
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I second the above comment!

After doing my replacement, according to the "wheel well test" my axle would be marginal.

I suspect it most cases the test is probably ok, but I wouldn't spend money without taking a look at the travel.

True this is some give and take but my rim was on or in the wheel well so it was very obvious I needed new one....

I think a lot of people are in this boat. If it is marginal, then you probably still have a little like in your axles...

The ride was so much better after I got the new axle it was like towing a new trailer...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Curious info. Now, please describe for all of us the proper way to mount new axles, which apparently would involve either modifying or completely disregarding the "square notches" in the mounting plate, in order to correct the apparently intentional mis-alignment of the original equipment by Airstream Engineers. Thankyou- tim
Installing new Henschen axles on all 1969 and newer Airstream trailers, is real easy.

You lift them in place, and insert the two 5/8 inch bolts on each side.

In the case of the axle mounting plates being located differently, simply move the axles forward on one side or rearward on the other side. We suggest moving them rearward.

Moving them entails enlarging the square notch forward or rearward as the case may be, then also making the mounting holes oval instead of round, on the same side, only.

If the axle/axles are being replaced, using grade 8 mounting hardware, properly torqued, that will prevent the axle from moving.

Under NO circunstances is the square notch disregarded as you suggest.

Andy
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
33 year old axles with 33 year old materials ( basically rubber) the answer is yes.

You won't need an axle number if one exists.

Several vendors will have axles for you.
OEM is Henschen from one vendor Indland RV in CA
Dexter - I believe they are the largest axle producer
Axis may have axles
And there may be others

There are many threads on axles in this forum if you do a search. Use the search key at the top of this page.

Getting the "proper" axle for your unit is some what of a person taste thing. Many owners will get a replacement that has a greater load capacity than the orignal. The OEM replacement will do this with the VIN of your unit. The others will do this with specs based on the measurements made of the old axle.

Searching the old threads will serve you well.

Action
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Installing new Henschen axles on all 1969 and newer Airstream trailers, is real easy.

You lift them in place, and insert the two 5/8 inch bolts on each side.

In the case of the axle mounting plates being located differently, simply move the axles forward on one side or rearward on the other side. We suggest moving them rearward.

Moving them entails enlarging the square notch forward or rearward as the case may be, then also making the mounting holes oval instead of round, on the same side, only.

If the axle/axles are being replaced, using grade 8 mounting hardware, properly torqued, that will prevent the axle from moving.

Under NO circunstances is the square notch disregarded as you suggest.

Andy
Very interesting. How do you determine which mounting plates have been intentionally mis-aligned, needing this modification you describe, and which ones are ok? And- why were any axle mounting plates intentionally mis-aligned in the first place? What is the proper torque for the grade 8 bolts? Thankyou- tim
Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Very interesting. How do you determine which mounting plates have been intentionally mis-aligned, needing this modification you describe, and which ones are ok? And- why were any axle mounting plates intentionally mis-aligned in the first place? What is the proper torque for the grade 8 bolts? Thankyou- tim
Grade 8 1/2 inch bolts are torqued to 119 foot pounds.

Grade 8 5/8 inch bolts are torqued to 230 foot pounds.

It doesn't matter which axle mounting plate is off.

Make the smaller dimension match the larger dimension.

The is another post that goes into the "why" details.

Andy
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the "why" post

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...0&postcount=27
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote