Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think you're 100% correct. If you don't have unusual tire wear, everything is butiful.

As far as those measurements go, camber is set by the axle manufacturer, toe in should be 0, +/- 1/32", and I have no idea what on earth caster is, or how you would measure it, on a duo-torque (sp) axle. It's a number that just doesn't make sense to me for a swing arm axle.
yeah, forget I said "caster". thinking of another kind of wheel. doh!

fwiw: the manual says "toe in" should be 1/16", tolerance 1/16 plus or minus.
camber should be 3/4 degree Pos, tolerance 3/4 degree plus or minus.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:49 AM   #30
Site Team

, Minnesota
Chuck,

Does it say how you get the toe-in set to 1/16"? Seems to me you would need to bend the spindles, or bend the axle tube.
Either way, the setting would be pretty small (<1/10 degree) compared to the camber setting (3/4 degree).

Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Chuck,

Does it say how you get the toe-in set to 1/16"? Seems to me you would need to bend the spindles, or bend the axle tube.
yeah, I believe that's what it says..."bend the axle tube", with that special axle bending device. of course, I'm at work now, without my service manual, so I can't triple-check but anyway, this device can bend an axle on either the vertical, or horizontal plane. there are some useless photographs on the page...but a legible line drawing that shows where to place it along the axle tube for each operation.

so I guess we can conclude that "allignment" isn't an issue. but what about the other issues that have been mentioned? what other "fabrication" is required in order to use a dexter axle? is it just a matter of drilling new holes for the mounting brackets? or something else????
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Anyone here know about my question--can you go from duratorque (like) to leaf axles?

Mary
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 AM   #33
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
. . so I guess we can conclude that "allignment" isn't an issue. but what about the other issues that have been mentioned? what other "fabrication" is required in order to use a dexter axle? is it just a matter of drilling new holes for the mounting brackets? or something else????
Chuck,

Sure there are fabrication and design issues involved. I think that's pretty clear from other people that have done this; it's not a job for a first time do-it-yourselfer.

On the other hand, a lot of people here have the experience and ability to do a job like this. It takes some thought, pencil and paper, design work, and then some metal fabrication skills.

Can you justify the cost savings? If you have the skills to do the design work and know how to weld, yes! If you need to outsource the design and fabrication, probably not.

I do think there is some false information in previous posts that says Dexter axles are poor quality or will pound your trailer to death. I guess I would be willing to go with a manufacturer that has probably built 100X the number of axles that Henschen has built.

Fireflyinva,

Of course you could replace a duratorque axle with leaf springs, but I don't think anyone would recommend it.

Everyone I have seen that replaced leaf springs with a Duratorque has been pleased with the results.

Maybe you could do it if you planned to park the trailer in one spot, or only move it a few miles per year. Then you might be able to buy 'stock' leaf springs and an axle at a trailerstore for a couple $100. Of course, you would be seriously compromising the roadworthiness. So you could sell it on eBay.

If you wanted to replicate what Airstream used in the late 50's, you would need to go to a full service frame and spring shop. If you are serious about this I can send you the specs on the leaf springs on my '59 Tradewind. I think it would end up costing just as much to put on new "OEM" leaf springs as to replace with a Duratorque.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Thanks again, Don...

I shake my head when I think that I would ever even give consideration to doing this kind of work. I must be nuts. My family can't believe it...I am the girlie sister, not the tomboy! Oh, well, I still like barbie dolls!

So, I'm signing up for a welding class (really). Even if I don't use the skill, it will help me understand what can be done.

Mary

BTW What's a cleco?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 AM   #35
Site Team

, Minnesota
Mary,

Good for you! The thing you can't put a price tag on is the sense of accomplishment you get from having done something new.

A cleco is a temporary rivet. You use dozens of them to hold a sheet of aluminum in place while you check the fit. Then you put in permanent rivets.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 AM   #36
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Thanks again, Don...

I shake my head when I think that I would ever even give consideration to doing this kind of work. I must be nuts. My family can't believe it...I am the girlie sister, not the tomboy! Oh, well, I still like barbie dolls!

So, I'm signing up for a welding class (really). Even if I don't use the skill, it will help me understand what can be done.

Mary

BTW What's a cleco?
For ever, I have wanted to learn to weld.. I have looked for classes in many places, and never found one, that it on, when I am around.. I would LOVE to be able to weld... In storage, I have both a MIG welder, and a Gas Set, waiting for the knowledge to use them.. I will look at my next place, for welding classes, or some guy with time.. I looked here, and could not find anywhere.... *sulk*

Adding leaf springs to my airstream would be an interesting modification - I could REALLY do with getting the Long long tube off the ground some.. The axles under it, are in very good condition, but it is, by design, a low slung trailer.. This stops me from getting to some of the more adventurous places I love to boondock in..
Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I'm taking the classes through a local arts center. They teach how to do heavy metalwork to make sculptures. Oddly, it's cheaper than taking the classes through the community college here.

Check your local community college. Most of them have trade programs teaching this. You just have to use all of that stored equipment!

Oh, and the girlie side of me really digs wearing the mask that just flips up and down with a shake of the head!

Mary
Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 AM   #38
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Thank you, I will look into that.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #39
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
Adding leaf springs to my airstream would be an interesting modification - I could REALLY do with getting the Long long tube off the ground some.. The axles under it, are in very good condition, but it is, by design, a low slung trailer.. This stops me from getting to some of the more adventurous places I love to boondock in..
Wow! I'd be afraid to get off the Interstate if I was pulling a 34'er.

Did you see the 'off-road' that Andy did a few weeks ago?