Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

new braunfels , Texas
Summer AC Unit on 1966 Tradewind- need help please

I have a "Summer TAC 110-" existing air conditioner on my 1966 tradewind. I need to replace the AC with a newer model-- I am not looking for the same brand and can modify the top or put a new unit on top of a different vent.

I am not an AC man by any means, but by the looks of the unit on my trailer, it looks like it is just a compressor and there is no air handling unit-- were these old AC's a split system and I am missing a piece of the puzzle here?

Under the unit on my roof, there is no penetration for air to enter the trailer other than a tiny 2" hole--

In order to get a Coleman or other unit, what do you guys suggest doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo tag.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	125090   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Top.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	125091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside under compressor.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	125092  
poezlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
AC is a single unit. If your at all handy...you can do a great job on the installation yourself. It is just a job getting the unit s both off and a new one back on (the roof area.)
Check EBAY...look for cheapest or free shipping...that stuff ruins all good deals.
There is always PPL in Houston...again, look for sales.
I am sure there is a deal on used units...just be sure it works well.
There a couple places in the Austin area that will install for you if you need it.

Go with at least a 15000 btu here in Texas. I prefer low profile units on Vintage too.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

new braunfels , Texas
OK-- after looking closer here-- this had to be a split system-- I can see the outline of the inside unit-- what size opening do new AC's need? can I just move it over a different vent?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

new braunfels , Texas
Melody, thanks for the reply- I am confused then-- where did the air enter the inside since there is no penetration under the roof unit? There is a 2" (probably more like a 1.5"" with copper lines running thru it as if they were going to an inside evaporator coil (split system). I appreciate the response-- thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
You will need a 14" x 14" opening cut and reinforced.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by poezlaw View Post
Melody, thanks for the reply- I am confused then-- where did the air enter the inside since there is no penetration under the roof unit? There is a 2" (probably more like a 1.5"" with copper lines running thru it as if they were going to an inside evaporator coil (split system). I appreciate the response-- thanks for the help.
You will also need a drain pan, so that the water does not run down the sides of the trailer, from the AC.

That, in itself, limits what brand AC you can install.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

new braunfels , Texas
Thanks for the replies-- I can reinforce the other vent opening and place it on top in the front-- as far as the drain line, I can run it inside into the floor and out the bottom-- the trailer is totally gutted now and being converted to a commercial kitchen-- thanks alot for the replies.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by poezlaw View Post
Thanks for the replies-- I can reinforce the other vent opening and place it on top in the front-- as far as the drain line, I can run it inside into the floor and out the bottom-- the trailer is totally gutted now and being converted to a commercial kitchen-- thanks alot for the replies.
Install the new AC, in place of the old unit.

The city power does not go to any of the vents.

Also, if you move the AC to the front, you will alter the tongue weight, and would have to do considerable shell beefing up. And if not done correctly, you will never run out of bad words.

Just some helpful hints.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Try this on for size

Here's how I take care of the AC problem, out the front, home window unit, cover to hide it, take out when you're finished.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...t-41052-2.html
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

new braunfels , Texas
Andy-- the airstream is currently 100% gutted so any reinforcing, rewiring is not a problem. I currently have about 100 new braces installed throughout the shell-- all the skins are removed, the wood decking was replaced, the frame was reinforced via welding new tubesteel, etc-- I literally have not even paid one bit of attention to the AC unit until now. A new one is already on its way and a new piece of aluminum has been ordered to cover the hole from the old AC. Thanks for the replies and help-- I appreciate it. Andy-- I love your store- it has come in very handy recently.

Tags