Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Original Armstrong A/C keep, or buy new ..?

hi folks, i'm sure discussed a thousand times but can't really find the right thread. i have a recently purchased 1972 Sovereign.. it's in good nick, fridge works, a/c seems to still work .. (although furnace and water heater don't.)
my question; is it worth investing in a new a/c shroud ($$) and no doubt other parts as this unit hasn't been used in literally years... lots could go wrong or there again .. how long could this keep going ? are parts even available and in decent supply still? I'm not all that handy but could probably learn basic skills to fix when needed .. but if needed professional help it could get very costly, right ?
i don't plan on using the a/c very much as live in northern california and most camping will be in cooler regions. Inland seems to be the only place to get the shrouds and they are pricy .. when you throw on shipping.
so more cost effective to buy an entire new unit or keep the old one ? any thoughts much appreciated !!
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Keep the Armstrong. It is repairable, unlike the new units. I have the original Armstrong on my '72 and it gets a workout in the Texas summers. Best AC ever.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hi folks, i'm sure discussed a thousand times but can't really find the right thread. i have a recently purchased 1972 Sovereign.. it's in good nick, fridge works, a/c seems to still work .. (although furnace and water heater don't.)
my question; is it worth investing in a new a/c shroud ($$) and no doubt other parts as this unit hasn't been used in literally years... lots could go wrong or there again .. how long could this keep going ? are parts even available and in decent supply still? I'm not all that handy but could probably learn basic skills to fix when needed .. but if needed professional help it could get very costly, right ?
i don't plan on using the a/c very much as live in northern california and most camping will be in cooler regions. Inland seems to be the only place to get the shrouds and they are pricy .. when you throw on shipping.
so more cost effective to buy an entire new unit or keep the old one ? any thoughts much appreciated !!
Your AC is a good unit.

Have someone check it out completely and then decide about the shroud.

Not using it for an extended time, is not a bad thing.

But, lube the fan motor.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
is it worth investing in a new a/c shroud ($$) and no doubt other parts as this unit hasn't been used in literally years
Find out whether it works first. If it works, the shroud is worthwhile. If it doesn't, it depends on what's wrong and is a judgment call.

Quote:
... lots could go wrong or there again .. how long could this keep going ? are parts even available and in decent supply still?
The parts that fail most often are the electrical controls (starting relay, capacitors, thermostat). All these are readily available with some parts substitution sometimes required. The second most common parts failure is the fan motor. These are out there but can be hard to find because of an unusual shaft configuration. Replacement compressors are available although finding a tech to do the work is problematic in some areas.

Quote:
New units require cutting and reinforcing a new 14x14" hole in the roof. The refrigerant from the old unit must be recovered and disposed of by an EPA certified shop before the old unit is removed. Usually it's a better choice to save the Armstrong.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The Armstrongs are amazing machines that are built to last.

My 72 Armstrong works GREAT and I have worked it hard over the last two years.

IMO, even though the unit is just a thing, it deserves better than to be unceremoniously scrapped in favor of a new disposable unit that has a designed lifecycle of five years.

The unit on my trailer, placed there over forty years ago and still going strong IMO deserves a modicum of respect that I will recognize. When it breaks, I will fix it.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
good to know guys, thanks ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Keep the Armstrong.
I would look at a local sheet metal shop to see if they would be willing to make one (a shroud) out of aluminum. It could even be riveted.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Keep the Armstrong.
I would look at a local sheet metal shop to see if they would be willing to make one (a shroud) out of aluminum. It could even be riveted.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
This^^^
The shroud on my 1975 Armstrong is in pretty rough shape. We are going to fabricate a shroud in our shop from some Alclad that I have left over, might cost as much as a new fiberglass one, but IMHO will look much nicer. We did a mock up out of poster board a few years ago just to see how much metal it would take.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It will take near about 2/3 of a 4x8 sheet in my quick guesstestimation..

IDK, I think the fiberglass ones can look pretty good...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416639195.886506.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	227131

Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I had a 73 it had a working Armstrong. I was able to patch up the shroud with fiberglass. I painted it aluminum and being on the roof the patches were not noticeable. The old fiberglass is probably very brittle being over 40 years old.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
The Armstrong on my '76 works like new. I will be cleaning, straightening, de-hornet-nesting, and, yes, keeping the shroud, which is a little worse for wear, but looks like it will be fine. I kind of like the "battle-tested" look.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There was enough left of my shroud left that I could have patched it, but it was so brittle and fragile that it would have required a total coating of fiberglass or it would have in time busted past the many patches anyway. So I bought a replacement cover from Andy.

I don't know what my original cover was made from, but it wasn't fiberglass. Its replacement is fiberglass, and it is a high quality piece.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
There was enough left of my shroud left that I could have patched it, but it was so brittle and fragile that it would have required a total coating of fiberglass or it would have in time busted past the many patches anyway. So I bought a replacement cover from Andy.

I don't know what my original cover was made from, but it wasn't fiberglass. Its replacement is fiberglass, and it is a high quality piece.

The original was made with plastic that was heat formed.

Andy
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Original Armstrong A/C keep, or buy new ..?

The fiberglass one you sell is many times better than stock, and the stock one lasted forty years.

I have bought plenty of aftermarket fiberglass pieces, this is by far the highest quality fiberglass repop I have ever had the pleasure of buying.

Unlike most fiberglass repops, this one is truly high quality and worth the money. I guarantee that these covers are not cheap to produce.

They are thick, well formed, stable, and well finished with plenty of gel-coat to facilitate a great finish without the need of primer. ( there is no need to paint if a person likes stock white, but they sure paint pretty)

Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Well, now. . . . That's high praise indeed! And sound advice, too. I'll have to re-think my strategy next spring. Hornets be damned!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
The Armstrong on my '76 works like new. I will be cleaning, straightening, de-hornet-nesting, and, yes, keeping the shroud, which is a little worse for wear, but looks like it will be fine. I kind of like the "battle-tested" look.
There is a real problem with the old brittle Armstrong AC covers.

They indeed have had a great life, but when they are 'done" the plastic is very brittle.

Keep in mind that when traveling at 60 MPH, there is a large wind force hitting that shroud. There have been reports of a part of the old shroud flying off and causing damage to another vehicle.

That makes a liability case from the get go.

Attorney's today, look for any excuse, so they can sue someone.

Could that happen from a piece of the shroud flying off?

Sure can and does, not often, not impossible.

And the worst thing, those pieces can fly off without the driver ever being aware of it, until later.

Andy
Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Yes, all good arguments for replacement. I'll look forward to a new shroud in the spring. I love the Armstrong AC itself!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
OK, my first post on Airforums.com

I just bought a 1971 Sovereign. As far as I can see so far, every appliance is original. This AS was parked in a palm tree field for a long time.

I'm starting to bring all the systems back to life. The tag on the AC says it's a TR21-1. I haven't tried to start it yet because I'm missing the plastic cover on the inside. I'm probably missing knobs too but I don't know what it's supposed to look like so I'm not sure.

Anyone have an idea where I can get the interior cover?

Thanks.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Everyone seems to agree

My old AC works fine. It's a little loud and a little too cold.
But I have been kind of waiting to hear about a new AC design that will work off of a 20 amp service……...…like the AC units in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote