Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New air conditioner advice?

Thinking about an a/c for my (new to me) '57 Overlander - 26 footer.

Searching past posts, I've been reading about various locations and styles. Anybody have any thoughts on a QUIET solution? Favorite brands? Recommended size of unit?

I'm assuming that the rooftop units are quieter than some of the other solutions that contain a residential unit within.

Thanks!

Dave
Mr. Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I can't help you much since you are dealing with a vintage unit, but if possible it would be nice if you can get an A/C unit which will automatically allow the blower to shut down once you get the inside down to the comfort level you want. Keeps the humidity at a much better comfort level.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I will warn you about this. Your camper will not be set up to suport the weight of a roof top unit. It can be added but it does require a lot of work.
Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3973

Somebody else also told me to check into some of the A/C they are using on pop ups and such. The A/C unit doesn't go on the roof it would install in the side. I have a friend with such a camper but have not camped with them yet this year so I have not had a chance to look at it.
It would require an outside vent of some sort. I'm hoping that I could vent through the floor like the Reefers do and then just add a outside access door that would appear original. On our 59 we have a side access door. We also have a spare tire carrier. That particular area is under the bed and I might be able to install the unit and access door and have it hidden by the spare.
I want to look at one and hear how loud they are since I would basicly be sleeping right above it. Then make my decision as to what one will be the better option.

Right now I have a awfull looking window unit through the front window that the PO's PO installed. It will stay till I can locate a window.
Please update us when you make a choice. I would like to hear your solution. I have already put that change as a next year project. I'll be replacing floors this year.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

max weight between supports?

Toaster,

Just read the previous post. Interesting. Very nice diagram by John.

Anybody know the max weight that can be supported between supports? How about the max weight at ribs?

Due to the arched design of the roof, I'm guessing that a fair amount of weight can be carried, even between the supports. Especially, if one adds an angle around the opening. This should prevent oil-canning.

FYI, the tile in the older airstreams is most likely asbestos based. As an architect, we've run into this before on remodels. The recommended practice is removal by "asbestos experts" Read pricey or simply to cover over with new flooring - the most often pursued option. It is utterly benign if it is not "friable" or broken up into little bits.

Truthfully, I don't know when airstream phased out this type of tile. Does anybody know more about this tile?

Dave
Mr. Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
From everything everybody has told me the weight is not an issue once the braces between the ribs is added. There is another post in there somewhere by somebody else and This was addressed a little. The other issue is the new syle A/C's have a stiff closed cell foam rubber gasket that much be compressed. One size fits all arrangment. The bracing again is the key to keep from flattening out the pannel.

Well I know the PO (my Father-in-law) has done some floor repair on this unit in the past. I think most of the aspestos tile is already gone. ...I hope....
Under the goucho I can see outlines were tile once was. Same with the open area under the bed.
I may have some time to pull the carpet out next week and investigate further. I'll deffinatly be using a quality respirator when I start yanking it appart.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote