Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Adjusting burner on upright furnace

When I fired our upright type furnace up it worked fairly well, much to my amazement and satisfaction. I let a big sigh out when I didn't torch the rig firing it up. Problem is the burner furthest from the inlet seems to be burning with too much oxygen (tall yellow flames). Does anyone know how to clean or adjust one of these?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
I don't understand what you mean by your " upright furnace ". If a burner is burning yellow, it's usually a sign of not enough oxygen, however if you have just started it up, it could also be a spider web in the venturi ( burner tube ). You should probably take the burner out & look at the inside of the burner tube or if it's big enough, run a small brush thru it. Spider webs sometimes can be hard to remove. Hope this helps.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Based on the symptom you describe here and in another thread regarding the fridge I wonder if you are experiencing low LP Pressure? Have you tested it lately? 11 IWC is what I belive you need to have in the system. Without sufficent pressure some appliances will not work. I would start there prior to adjusting / troubleshooting each appliance individually.

A yellow flame is a sign of too much?? Air in the mixture, there should be some but not alot.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
oops!!! My mistake. I thought you were working on an "upright furnace" & not your fridge.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Furnace on this one

I did find a good sized leak on a line yesterday, after trying stuff. This thread was for the furnace. I will try removing the burner assembly and blow it out and wirebrush it.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote