Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Holy-Moly the heat pump is noisy

We ran out of propane in the middle of the night last night and we gave the Heat Pump a try. What an incredible series of sounds that thing makes. More than just the cycling on and off, evidently there is some sort of defrost cycle that sounds a little like the garbage truck backing up to the camper.

It all seems to work, so I guess there is nothing to fix, but it surprises me that this seems like good idea to anyone. A little bit of resistance heating would be just fine with me. I liked the "Chill Chaser" on older units.

While I am at it, why isn't there an electric option for the main furnace. My wife is ready to go to Walmart and buy a heater.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
The heat pumps are a bit noisy, but you get used to it. At least I do. When it goes to defrost is when I wake up. We have a 31' and use two ceramic heaters as well. One in the bedroom and one in the galley area on the counter. Separate circuits so a breaker does not trip. Most of the time these two heaters are adequate to keep the trailer warm unless it is REALLY cold as it has been a few times lately, then the HP comes on.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
... While I am at it, why isn't there an electric option for the main furnace. My wife is ready to go to Walmart and buy a heater.

Actually there is a 3rd party add-on that some find interesting.

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com

A couple of considerations: Is there room to install this sidecar to the furnace and is the electrical supply adequate to support it?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
We ran out of propane in the middle of the night last night and we gave the Heat Pump a try ...

Something to keep in mind... The system is designed so that if the outside temp drops into the 30s, it will switch off the H/P and turn on the furnace. There are 2 reasons for this. As temperatures drop, the H/P becomes less efficient as a heat source. The warm air coming from the ceiling vents doesn't warm the floor and in freezing temperatures some of the heat ducted from the furnace is directed to the plumbing under the floor.

If it were to have gotten cold enough last night, you would have had no heat.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas

Quote:
... What an incredible series of sounds that thing makes. More than just the cycling on and off, evidently there is some sort of defrost cycle that sounds a little like the garbage truck backing up to the camper ...

There good news is that the noise is nowhere as obvious to your fellow campers, but if they are out walking the dogs, they may be convinced there is a nut case living in the Airstream running the A/C when it's 40°F outside. The condensation running off the roof created by the defrost cycle also reinforces their belief you are really running the A/C.

The noise also drowns out the passing planes, trains and trucks 😄

My 1st experience with the defrost cycle was about 3 AM, when it woke me, sensing something was wrong, not from the noise, but from the absence of it. I quickly came out of my stupor realizing the compressor unit was running but not the blower - that can't be good! Yes, the little display on the thermostat shows Defrost when this is going on but easily goes unnoticed at 3 AM. During the defrost cycle, a valve reverses the direction of the freon flow essentially switching to A/C mode to cause the outside fins to heat up thawing the frost buildup. The blower is switched off to prevent an arctic blast from the vents. After a few minutes, the valve switches back and the blower comes back on. The whole thing can draw images of a steampunk boiler room. Nothing like the heatpump at home.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
. . . . . . . The condensation running off the roof created by the defrost cycle also reinforces their belief you are really running the A/C.
. . . . . ..
This condensation running off the roof recently fooled me and others to thinking that the condensation drain was plugged. A savvy friend straightened us all out and told us what was going on. I was impressed that she knew so much about the AS heat pump.

When the AC is running, the drain is in the wheel well. When the heat pump is heating, the condensation is running on to the roof. By the way, this lets you know if you are "nose down" since it will run off on the front end! It was this that alerted me that something was different.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
... When the AC is running, the drain is in the wheel well ...
I think this feature is pretty much unique to Airstream, not seen on other trailers. It has been common for a concerned neighbor camper to point out that I must have a water leak as they spotted the drip drip coming from inside the shell near the tire.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I am surprised that you have any unusual noises from the heat pump. Here in central Texas, I use the heat pump nearly all the time heat is required. I probably haven't run the furnace 40 hours in 11 years of owning two heat pump-equipped trailers.

My heat pumps make a soft clunk when the defrost cycle starts and stops. While they re defrosting, they make only a faint hum because the inside fan is not running. The biggest sound is the "wooosh" as the interior fans start up again. Otherwise, it is no noisier than the AC.

If you are getting significant noises, I think you have something wrong with your heat pump.

By the way. The units are natively heat pumps and, when AC is required, they have to switch to AC mode each and every time they start up. This is exactly the same switchover that occurs when they go into defrost. You hear the switchover because the fan noise is not covering it up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
... My heat pumps make a soft clunk when the defrost cycle starts and stops. While they re defrosting, they make only a faint hum because the inside fan is not running. The biggest sound is the "wooosh" as the interior fans start up again. Otherwise, it is no noisier than the AC ...

That's pretty much how I would describe the way mine sounds. I would agree that if one was accustomed to the relatively quiet furnace, the heatpump is considerably louder. Mine was particularly noisy at first particularly when the blower started up and after gaining access to the blower I found that the end play on the motor shaft was allowing the fan to rub the housing. Loosing the set screws and slightly repositioning the fan on the shaft made a noticeable difference.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
We ran out of propane in the middle of the night last night and we gave the Heat Pump a try. What an incredible series of sounds that thing makes. More than just the cycling on and off, evidently there is some sort of defrost cycle that sounds a little like the garbage truck backing up to the camper.

It all seems to work, so I guess there is nothing to fix, but it surprises me that this seems like good idea to anyone. A little bit of resistance heating would be just fine with me. I liked the "Chill Chaser" on older units.

While I am at it, why isn't there an electric option for the main furnace. My wife is ready to go to Walmart and buy a heater.
If you have the same air conditioner that I do (I imagine you do since we both have 2010 classics), there is a provision for electric heating elements built into the A/C. For some reason Airstream decided not to install that option. However, you can buy the elements and add them yourself. I have not done that, but have though about it. My heating/AC control head has the position for the heating strip.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If you have the same air conditioner that I do (I imagine you do since we both have 2010 classics), there is a provision for electric heating elements built into the A/C.
Ken
About the best that the heating elements can do is to take the chill off on a cool morning. Not very many BTUs compared to the heat pump. A better bet is to simply carry a small electric heater which will provide as much heat and will have a much quieter fan and can be moved about where you most want heat. The better ones have thermostats. I often set mine on the bathroom counter while I shower.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote