Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Getting on the Roof Safely/Replacing a/c shroud

I took a look at my roof yesterday and noticed a significant hole in my a/c cover--had some big hail around here lately.

First concern is where to get a replacement for it? It's a Duotherm 620315 Penguin a/c.

Second concern is how do I get up there safely? It's a 1996 21ft Sovereign and I'm a little over 200 lbs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Nick,
Almost any larger RV dealer or an online place like Camping World will carry your cover. If you go on your roof keep you weight on the lines of rivets. It is very sturdy if you stay on the rivets.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Brad. I wasn't sure whether the later more flat-topped roofs were as sturdy as the older rounded style. Sounds like even if they aren't, they'll still hold me up. I really appreciate your help. Quite a collection of Airstreams you have there
Cheers.
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi nick

more current roofs are reported to be more sturdy...cross bracing between ribs is more plentyful....

use a taller ladder than you really need...2 if ya got em. really tall ladders.

place a 1x12 across the ladders near the top and carry the cover up, sitting it on the board.

use a couplel of big carpet squares turned pile down...at sitting places fore and aft the ac.

my ac cover is the new style and only weights 50-70 llbs...
so i did this swap alone...
and i'm 250-260 after lunch.
held me fine....

well i did have someone one the ground contolling the ladders and tools...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote