Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Dometic Penguin or Coleman Polar Cub for 1967 Caravel??

Can those of you with experience changing out your AC help here? I am debating whether to use the 9000 btu Coleman Polar Cub with a built in drain hook up or the Dometic Penguin 11,000 btu which needs a pan from Airstream. The Coleman is slightly cheaper. Should I use a wall thermostat or is it unnecessary? What's your recommendation??
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I'm not familiar with the Polar Cub. We have used Dometics now for several years and have had no problems. What type is currently on your trailer? If you can get a similar replacement it may be easier on the installation.

We had wall thermostats on our current and previous trailer. Before that we didn't. I prefer the thermostat because it maintains a more constant temperature.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
I have the original Armstrong Bay Breeze on it now. Looking to install an entirely new unit.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Dometic makes a drain kit that is reportedly cheaper than the Airstream one.

Check the threads on changing from an Armstrong as it's involved.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I have owned both Coleman and Dometic and I will tell you that the fan in the Dometic makes twice the noise of the Coleman. It is so loud it drives us nuts.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
That post about the fan is the kind of thing that is priceless. So is the Dometic that you have that has the loud fan a Penguin????
Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Is your Dometic that has the loud fan a Penguin??
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I thought the post was regarding a Dometic Penguin, therefore I was refering to a Penguin. Did I go off course somehow?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
I was trying to compare the Dometic Penguin with the Coleman Polar Cub. So, you are saying the Penguin is noisy. That's good to know.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dometic makes an auxiliary drip kit that will eliminate the need for a drain pan. I use these on the larger motor homes that use internal tubing for condensate drains so the roof stays dry.

The Dometic part number is 3107688.016 and adds 2 catch cups to the drain holes in the pan, tubing to join them and all fasteners and clamps as well as a second bottom gasket that raises the unit slightly so the new drain cups will clear the roof.

As far as noise, remember that both units have the evaporator blower right above the ceiling grill, so you WILL be hearing a good bit of noise. Both are equally noisy, unless someone gets an actual dB reading and can compare the noise levels.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My husband & son installed a Dometic Penguin in my daughter's Argosy last summer. There were issues from the get go with an electronic thermostat that could only be fixed through a dealer. It took forever for them to figure out what was wrong with it. That aside, the newer units (unlike my old A/C) turn completely on/off when they reach the temperature desired. That means the whole fan turns off too. So, when you're sleeping, the unit comes on (not a quite noise) and then, once you're used to the noise & sleeping again, it shuts down. (I know all this because I heard all the complaining from her!). I'd much rather have continuous noise where the fan runs continuously & the compressor comes on as needed. Just my two cents!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Have maybe 300 hours on my Dometic 15K heat pump and could not be happier. It replaced an older coleman. The fan can be set to run continuously with the compressor kicking in and out, it cools and heats well, they ALL make fan noise, and it boils down to service, installation, and price.............God bless......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
My husband & son installed a Dometic Penguin in my daughter's Argosy last summer. There were issues from the get go with an electronic thermostat that could only be fixed through a dealer. It took forever for them to figure out what was wrong with it. That aside, the newer units (unlike my old A/C) turn completely on/off when they reach the temperature desired. That means the whole fan turns off too. So, when you're sleeping, the unit comes on (not a quite noise) and then, once you're used to the noise & sleeping again, it shuts down. (I know all this because I heard all the complaining from her!). I'd much rather have continuous noise where the fan runs continuously & the compressor comes on as needed. Just my two cents!
Becky,

If you have the Comfort Control Center (CCC) electronic thermostat with your Penguin, there should be 3 fan settings (some units have 4) that are low, (medium) high and auto. In the auto mode, the fan and the compressor both stop when the thermostat is satisfied. In the high/low setting, the fan continues to run and the compressor cycles as needed according to the ambient temperature in the room and the setting on the CCC.

If have the CCC and it doesn't work like this, you need a new CCC, as yours is defective and should be replaced. And BTW, I am a factory authorized Dometic service center.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
A couple random thoughts-

The Polar Cub may be able (no guarantees) to run on 2000 Honda inverter generator. I've seen reports of success with that combo. The Penguin has higher starting and running current draw.

The Penguin, in my opinion, is the most attractive and sleek looking of all the roof air units. I'd buy it for this reason alone. They look great on all the RVs they're installed on.

Both Penguin and Cub units I owned used the built in thermostat, and both work well.

I've had both the noise is similar. Rather innocuous white noise from both. But if one is quieter, its probably the Coleman.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
A Honda 2000 will definately run the Polar Cub for extended periods, but you may need to change the start capacitor in the A/C unit. The new capacitor is called a SPP6E and is quite easy to install. It greatly decreases the start current required for the Cub compressor. The new capacitor will also allow you to run your A/C from a 15 amp house circuit. I don't know about the Penguin. I opened up the electrical box on my Penguin and almost immediately closed it right back up! It was quite complex compared to the Cub and I decided not to upgrade the start capacitor not knowing if the new capacitor would allow the A/C to run with the Honda 2000 or not. Contact me if you need a SSP6E! I have one. Does anyone know if the new start capacitor will install into the Penguin?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
A Honda 2000 will definately run the Polar Cub for extended periods, but you may need to change the start capacitor in the A/C unit. The new capacitor is called a SPP6E and is quite easy to install. It greatly decreases the start current required for the Cub compressor. The new capacitor will also allow you to run your A/C from a 15 amp house circuit. I don't know about the Penguin. I opened up the electrical box on my Penguin and almost immediately closed it right back up! It was quite complex compared to the Cub and I decided not to upgrade the start capacitor not knowing if the new capacitor would allow the A/C to run with the Honda 2000 or not. Contact me if you need a SSP6E! I have one. Does anyone know if the new start capacitor will install into the Penguin?
Not to be a contrarian, but don't you suppose that if your new capacitor was a solution to hard starting that the designers and manufacturers of these units would have provided them when they built these units? Also, I can tell you from experience, that you WILL void your factory warranty if you change the start capacitor or any other component in a new roof A/C unit......both RVP and Dometic (I am a factory authorized service center for both OEMs).

I also have just finished installing a new RVP 15K roof air in a Winnebago as an auxiliary unit. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of overpowering noise from the evaporator fan.........and it sure got COLD in there in a hurry. Nice very low profile design also with integrated drain apparatus and condensate pump, eliminating the need for drain pans of other contraptions. RVP units are also made right here in the good old USA!!!

I'm sure that the cub will be much quieter, but I would question the cooling capacity of an 8K unit in an aluminum trailer on a 90* day in the hot sun. One reason to go for a bigger unit.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I totally agree with you that the change will probably void the warranty but.... I have installed the SPP6E in my unit and three others and in all four cases the A/C would run perfectly with the Honda 2000, whereas they would not run without the larger capacitor. (The compressor would bog down the generator) I don't know why the manufacturer doesn't install the larger capacitor except that it might cost them a few more monies. As a repairman, you probably see a lot of things done by the manufacturer that really surprise you. I guess the proof is in the pudding!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Rockvale , Tennessee
Perhaps the Honda should have the capacitor, not the AC. It may be important to view the generator output waveform for correct RMS voltage, and peak voltage. The capacitor may help improve the generator regulation, it may also result in undesired peak supply voltage. A scope is helpful in making the measurements.
KitCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCarlson View Post
Perhaps the Honda should have the capacitor, not the AC. It may be important to view the generator output waveform for correct RMS voltage, and peak voltage. The capacitor may help improve the generator regulation, it may also result in undesired peak supply voltage. A scope is helpful in making the measurements.
Welcome to the forum.
Why would Honda, which has one of, if not the cleanest power outputs of any generator in the world, start putting capacitors on their generators to compensate for an air conditioner compressor? What would that do to people's electronics when they plug in their televisions and computers?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Just installed a Polar Club in a 18 footer. The Honda 2000 ran the air great for hours even in Eco mode. We are very happy with the size and low noise level even on high. Just wished it had a three speed fan.
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, air conditioning, caravel