Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Caledonia , Michigan
Best air conditioner

Wondering what is the best unit to install?
Ajunghans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajunghans View Post
What is your definition of 'best'??
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO the best A/C unit to get is none at all.

If you can get away with installing a couple of Maxxair fans, one to blow in and another to blow out, you could very well get away without having to buy and maintain an expensive A/C unit. This would also save you quite a bit of weight and decrease water leaks into the trailer.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Tony obviously does not live in Texas. I have Dometic, Coleman and Carrier low profile. Even though Carrier is no longer making the low profile...it is, by far, the best I have.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Unless you are doing your camping up north, Fans won't keep you comfortable. The question is 13.5 or 15,000 BTU units. The difference being you can run a 13.5 off generators for a 15 you need shore power. I got a low profile Dometic Penguin. Works good but an AC which sits higher would be a bit more quiet. Isuzusweet is kind of right. Speaking for myself most of the time I don't use the AC, even here in the southwest, but when it's hot out it's really hot and can make the difference between enjoyment and misery.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Tony obviously does not live in Texas. I have Dometic, Coleman and Carrier low profile. Even though Carrier is no longer making the low profile...it is, by far, the best I have.
Nope, I don't. I live in the GWN and when it does get humid here I just head further north. In the summer the further north you go, the longer the day you have to enjoy.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I think I'd like those longer days, Tony.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #8

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , TX
I'm trying to decide now between 13,500 and 15,000 for our 1967 Airstream Overlander 26. And I live in Texas. What do you mean by "shore power"?
Farmer Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Erin View Post
I'm trying to decide now between 13,500 and 15,000 for our 1967 Airstream Overlander 26. And I live in Texas. What do you mean by "shore power"?
Shore power means being plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. My 67 Overlander was cooled by a 12,000 BTU mini-split unit which was ultra quiet and drew only 11 amps. It was mounted up front but still cooled the trailer nicely except for the bathroom. I would think 13,500 would work well unless it was super hot. We simply opt not to go camping in the height of the Texas summer.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It is unreasonable to think you can be comfortable in an AS without AC. Fans don't cool the air rather move it at it's current temp in the hopes of evaporating moisture on your skin... In humid climates, that's a no go!
Get a Penguin
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajunghans View Post
Consider where the condensate goes. Make sure that whatever you buy will work with the existing drain pipe. Water running on the roof all the time during the summer will encourage algae growth on the surface.
I've replace a few with Dometic Penguin, one with Dometic Brisk Air, and a long time ago one with a Coleman. I like the Penguin best.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
This is a really old thread. The OP likely has made a decision long ago.

For posterity of future users, I did a lot of research here in circa 2018/2019.

The highest rated capacity units are the Atwood Air Command units (now acquired by Dometic). They are rated at 16k-18k output. They are a bit different of an animal in regards to thermostat and condensate collection. But then again, so are the newer Dometics with catch cups vs catch pans that Airstream use to use in the 2000s.

That said, of Dometics formal line of A/Cs, the Blizzard NXT is the "best" in terms of cooling output and airflow. Penguin is best for low profile aesthetics.

Even though all models are rated at 15k BTU, there are meaningful output differences that aren't capture in numbers. Here's some data suggesting detail differences between compressor/fan/refrigerant capacity which would lend to output differences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASACpwrcompare.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	340909
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #13

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , TX
Choosing Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Unless you are doing your camping up north, Fans won't keep you comfortable. The question is 13.5 or 15,000 BTU units. The difference being you can run a 13.5 off generators for a 15 you need shore power. I got a low profile Dometic Penguin. Works good but an AC which sits higher would be a bit more quiet. Isuzusweet is kind of right. Speaking for myself most of the time I don't use the AC, even here in the southwest, but when it's hot out it's really hot and can make the difference between enjoyment and misery.
Thanks for sharing this information. Ultimately, we want to be off-grid so I went with the Penguin II, 13,5000. We'll see how it keeps us cool mid-August.
Farmer Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
@pteck

Wish I had seen your chart before I bought my Brisk II 15K. Looks like NXT is the way to go.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #15
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Even though this is an old thread it may be useful to add some new information. For us, the "best" air conditioner would certainly be more quiet than the existing units in our trailer or our Class B.

Advanced RV has exclusive rights to sell what appears a very quiet air conditioner. I don't know all the specs so some of you may find it's not suitable for your situation. Advanced is in the business of building and upfitting Class B's so I don't know if the unit is suitable for a trailer but it seems like it would work on a trailer too with use of a drip pan and drain hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	181
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	340967  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
even though this is an old thread it may be useful to add some new information. For us, the "best" air conditioner would certainly be more quiet than the existing units in our trailer or our class b.

Advanced rv has exclusive rights to sell what appears a very quiet air conditioner. I don't know all the specs so some of you may find it's not suitable for your situation. Advanced is in the business of building and upfitting class b's so i don't know if the unit is suitable for a trailer but it seems like it would work on a trailer too with use of a drip pan and drain hose.
$2749...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Did you install one of these quiet air conditioners in your Interstate?
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by byu2beach View Post
Did you install one of these quiet air conditioners in your Interstate?
Hello, welcome to Air Forums.

No, we did not install the quiet AC from Advanced RV. We had hoped to stop by their place to see the unit in operation sometime in spring 2020 but our travel plans changed.

I'm curious if you've heard of other brands of AC, or other sources, for the AC that Advanced RV sells. If there's a lower price or better alternative please do elaborate.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hello, welcome to Air Forums.

No, we did not install the quiet AC from Advanced RV. We had hoped to stop by their place to see the unit in operation sometime in spring 2020 but our travel plans changed.

I'm curious if you've heard of other brands of AC, or other sources, for the AC that Advanced RV sells. If there's a lower price or better alternative please do elaborate.
Recpro RP-AC3400 is the one that I've been researching both on Amazon and direct from Recpro $1124. I just don't know anything about Recpro accept that they are an RV and Marine accessory supplier. My research thus far shows me that the "Houghton" units are manufactured in the same plant as "Dometic" and "Recpro" units are manufactured. Import records verify shipments from Ningbo Hongdu to Advanced Rv, Dometic, Atwood and others. The China Company is Ningbo Hongdu Electrical Appliance Co,, China. It appears the units are being Manufactured by, sold by and shipped by Ningbo Hongdu. Houghton has basically disappeared but their name lives on. I messaged Wachuko about his unit but thus far haven't received a reply. Finch Australia Australia, a major Houghton distributor, may play a role, I'm just not sure.
B
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote