Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
AC Trouble

Need some help, folks. This morning, at about 6:00am, the trailer started to get warm, down here in the Keys. My wife pointed out that the fan was the only thing running, and that was going in and out. Finally, the whole ac shut down. We dug out the manual and tried to reset, but now all we get is an "EE" error code on the duo therm comfort control panel. I tried shutting everything down for a half hour. I discovered that the air filters were clogged and cleaned them.
I'll be calling colonial at 9:00 when they open, but I was hoping someone out there has been through this and could help.
Is it possible the unit shut down because it overheated from the clogged filters? If so, can it be restarted. And what about the error code, that's all that shows on the control now?
Help, it's gonna get hot down here!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Could the AC froze up ? What fan speed did you have it set on? Low or high
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Have you tried resetting thermostat? Hold top two buttons in and turn on off switch to off and back on.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The first thing I would look at is did the evaporator freeze over from the low air flow with clogged filters? If the unit has been off for a couple of hours I would try it again.

Not familiar with your control read out of EE. It may be a built in protection system to shut the AC down under a freeze condition.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
After talking to Airstream, Colonial, and the local Dometic guy, the concensus seems to be that EE is a communication error code. He's coming out later today to get up on the roof to figure out if it's a module on the unit itself or the control panel. Best $55 sevice call I ever paid for. Still under warranty for parts and labor, hopefully.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If this happens again pull the cover down and look at the face of the evaporator for ice.

If there is ice it is either because of low air flow or low charge in the unit itself. If it is low charge you want to exercise your warranty for a new unit. Recharging small units is an art that not many have.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Update

I just wanted to let you all know how I made out, particularly anyone with a newer model. Phil, from Spindrift RV, came out about 2 hours ago, got up on the roof, removed the cover of the ac and quickly realized that the problem was that water was collecting at the bottom of the unit and shorted/corroded the low voltage to the controller. The cause, Phil discovered was that the unit didn't properly drain because it was clogged with sloppily applied caulk around the drain.

I thank Phil, from Spindrift, Summerland Key, very knowlegable, my Airstream service guys, Bob & Tony, for their help. Thanks to you guys for your input, and I hope if this happens to anyone else in a newer model, you'll remember this as a possibility.

I even have a certain sympathy for the assembly line guy who shot just too much caulk in there, I know you've got somebody pushing you.

My message is for Airstream. I love you dearly, but why was it that the first thing Phil said was, "the older ones are much better"?

On a "glass half full" note, today was the coolest day we've spent here, and the only day without air. God do bless babies, drunks and idiots. And I aint no baby. :-)

Lost in the Keys
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A/C problems

M'pants,

Glad that you had your problem solved.

Typically, the 'EE error code on the Comfort Control Center (CCC) indicates a communication error between the CCC and the relay board in the upper unit. Obviously, your tech did a good job of finding the corrosion from the excess condensate there.

Just a quick correction to one of the posts in this thread, the CCC re-set procedure is as follows:

1. turn off the CCC at the bottom slide switch
2. press in the TOP and BOTTOM buttons on the CCC simultaneously and HOLD them in
3. turn the CCC on at the bottom slide switch
4. release the buttons, again simultaneously

You should get a reading of 'FF" if everything is normal.

Dometic Team 2000 Factory Authorized Service Center
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Evaporator freeze-up

BTW,

Most newer RV air conditioners have a little device called a 'Freeze Switch' or 'Freeze Sensor' that is inserted right into the evaporator coils to read the temps there.

It's purpose is to communicate with the relay control board to shut down the compressor if freezing temps (evaporator ice-up) is detected. The blower fan continues to run in this case until the evaporator is defrosted and the unit will start to work normally again.

Clogged intake air filters will definitely contribute to freeze-up as it diminishes the amount of return air that is available for the evaporator, but this case was electronic in nature, with the lack of DC voltage to allow the CCC and upper control board to communicate.

Also, it is generally NOT a good idea to run your fan speed on anything other than high, especially in hot, humid conditions, as this will also decrease the return air flowing across the evaporator causing........you guessed it.......FREEZE-UP!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote