Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
You all are so right. Boy have I learned a tough lesson. Recieved picks today of dent. I can't be sure it wasn't already there...I'll try to post pics. I ddn't have previous pics of this particular area. It is next to AC.
Next on the demerit list... parts man ordered the wrong vent...#$%^&*....told them to forget about it....send it back...I would not pay for shipping ect. Leave it alone.
Andy...thanks for the advice....I am trying to be a good citizen and not slam anyone here...but if anyone in VA needs work....please PM me and I will gladly tell you to avoid this place.
If Saturday doesn't go well....I'll have to break bad and post the name anyway.
cutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterbug View Post
You all are so right. Boy have I learned a tough lesson. Recieved picks today of dent. I can't be sure it wasn't already there...I'll try to post pics. I ddn't have previous pics of this particular area. It is next to AC.
Next on the demerit list... parts man ordered the wrong vent...#$%^&*....told them to forget about it....send it back...I would not pay for shipping ect. Leave it alone.
Andy...thanks for the advice....I am trying to be a good citizen and not slam anyone here...but if anyone in VA needs work....please PM me and I will gladly tell you to avoid this place.
If Saturday doesn't go well....I'll have to break bad and post the name anyway.
Please post a good photo of the dent.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
pics of dent

Here are the pics we recieved of the dent....like I said previously....I can't really say that this wasn't already there...We have exterior pics...but not of this area. It looks like it's been there a while. The unit sat uncovered on the lot for approx. 2 weeks. I'll be happy to get it back. This looks like the culprit of water seeping into the AC area if you ask me. I just don't understand why we never had leaks previously not even a smell of must or dampness.
(Obviously their camera date needs to be reset)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0102.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	80195   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0103.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	80196  

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That AC looks a lot like an original Armstrong to me. My 75 had a slightly different cover with a opening on the top, but the ones in the later 70's like yours did not.

My trailer had the exact same dent in the roof which I believe was caused in part by the original installation. There was no support between the inner and outer skins and over the years the weight of the unit cause the outer skin to start to bend in. My dent had been there for several years and there was evidence of many layers of Vulken used to fill the gap.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
We thought original Armstrong too... At first the techs said original then changed their thoughts to Coleman.....at any rate....they will NOT be touching it.
It may need to be replaced indeed....but it will not be done at this dealership.
We'd like to camp next weekend....but if the rains come as expected...it may stay at home in it's shelter until this project is complete. We'd rather not have moisture or water on our new redo inside. We're just anxious to sit back for some R&R.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
We thought original Armstrong too... At first the techs said original then changed their thoughts to Coleman.....at any rate....they will NOT be touching it.
It may need to be replaced indeed....but it will not be done at this dealership.
We'd like to camp next weekend....but if the rains come as expected...it may stay at home in it's shelter until this project is complete. We'd rather not have moisture or water on our new redo inside. We're just anxious to sit back for some R&R.
That cover is for a 76 to 79 Airstream Armstrong AC. That cover won't fit a Coleman AC.

Look at our part # 69831. It's exactly the same.

I don't think the dealer had anything to do with that dent. Granted, it's there, but I think it's really an "oil can" dent that comes and goes, depending on the temperature of the sheetmetal.

Unfortunately, it appears that you got involved with a "wanna be" service department, that attempts to sell "BLUFF" as opposed to "SKILL".

Andy
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Quote:
Unfortunately, it appears that you got involved with a "wanna be" service department, that attempts to sell "BLUFF" as opposed to "SKILL".

Andy
I can't thank you enough for responding and giving such good advice. It made our evenings a little more sane.
Our optimism is still high for the people out there who are knowledgeable, honest, and fair....for the folks who love their Airstreams and are willing to share.
We know little...have a lot to learn...and hope to do the same for someone else.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Unit is home....dealership is done

Picked up the bill and my unit Sat. The manager I have been dealing with said he would come be right with me...I read over the bill....waited....asked a few questions to the receptionist...waited...paid...($710. 29) waited . I then decided to hook up....by myself...I am very capable of doing this....However.... someone assisting would have been a nice courtesy and made things go a little faster....at that point...I didn't care.
No one walked through with me to go over services rendered.
Pulled my unit up...asked about an awning wheel... left.
I realize that this thread is about the AC...so I'll skip to that.
I drove right to a campground close by. Met all my friends... hooked up....AC worked great....in fact cold...had to turn off !!!!
Looks like the techs may have had it on FAN rather than AC....by the way....the drain plug....working fine! THANK GOD...I asked them NOT to touch the AC....AND...it rained all night....no water collecting! Hmmmm.

The rest of this epistle may bore you....so just skip... but I am now going to use this thread as documentation for the owner of the dealership to read.
I originally took this unit in for a 16 point inspection (special 39.95) with a list of other things to check....the 16 point inspection? not listed on the bill! Hmmm.
I asked for a check for plumbing leaks...I had noted a small leak near the water heater plumbing. The bill states that they did a full system check...pressure tests...hooked up to city water for 8 hours....no leaks found. (56.00)
I asked for a check on the black and grey valves...and replace if needed...they said the entire bath assembly would need to be removed...that's when I said....leave it alone. (no charge)
I requested a front vent cover be replaced (cracked)...they called at the last minute and said the wrong part had been ordered ( charged me for shipping of the wrong part...36.00) They put plexiglass on instead.(56.00) Upon inspection? Cracked vent is still there...(I have pics.)..slapped a piece of plexi on top pf the cracked vent.
I had asked that they replace a missing awning wheel/screw at the top of the awning release... They said...no problem...we have them...won't even charge....Upon pick-up day, they shared that they couldn't find one...ordered... it hadn't arrived in time (my unit has been there for 3 weeks)
I requested new 25ft power cord...last minute call stated...we don't have one....just a 50ft cord....we'll cut it down...with no charge to you for 50 ft....labor 134.40....part 82.86.(Total for power cord/install 217.26)
State inspection 16.00
I asked that the bearings be packed. Bearings packed on tires...total labor and parts 239.00.
I asked that they check the water heater....flushed and found some debris....after the flushing no debris... working fine...suggested that the heater be replaced after this season.(56.00) another 30.00 for RV supplies?
Here's the bomb...and the reason I will stop payment and contact owner...
Upon arrival at the campground...(mind you same day I paid and picked up)I hooked up to city water...ect. My friends let me know that there was a lot of leaking going on at the back of my trailer. Sure enough...major leak at hotwater heater plumbing.... lots of water seeping through belly pan....I turned off the water....disgusted and tired. Today I called a tech to my house to document....took pics...Tech said this was a CRIME!!!!
He went right to the plumbing leak...also found that the bypass valve on water heater hadn't been turned...so probably not tested...found mud daubers in the vent area....water heater wasnt' fired....also release tube for water under bumper area wasn't hanging out...all water had probably been running under belly pan....
He could NOT believe the detailed bill I shared with him.
He has a report ready and will return on Thursday. I took pics of the saturated (new flooring)....removed the new flooring in the bath area....placed fans in my unit....took out the old hot water heater and will replace it along with new plumbing.
I am giving this organization one last chance to make this right. I will now have to verify that my bearings were indeed packed. I will have to replace my flooring....and....I am now paying someone else to do what I asked for in the first place....check for leaks...diagonse the problem.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Picked up the bill and my unit Sat. The manager I have been dealing with said he would come .
I am giving this organization one last chance to make this right. I will now have to verify that my bearings were indeed packed. I will have to replace my flooring....and....I am now paying someone else to do what I asked for in the first place.
You have already given them way way too many chances.

It also appears that the "bill" is loaded.

Make super sure that "IF" the bearings were repacked, that they "replaced the grease seals." If they did not do that, I would refuse to pay that part of the bill as well.

Based on the discription as to the quality, or pardon me lack of quality, they have done on other things, I would bet that "IF" they packed the bearings that they pounded out the old seals and then pounded them back in. that is an absolute NO NO.

Did they adjust the brakes????

Did they clean all the dust and dirt out of, and off of, the backing plates????

In fairness to yourself and others, after your next, and hopefully your last visit to that dealer, that you as a service to other owners in your area, post the name of the company on this Forums.

A good business relationship is seldom mentioned, but is always welcomed by the providing company.

A bad relationship, that is realistic, should always be made known to others.

Errors and mistakes can happen in any repair business, even though most humans try not to make those mistakes, but even the most dedicated shop, could "boo boo", or even have a new part failure.

But "fraud" is not an acceptable mistake or error.

Unfortunately, you have been had, and I hope the wounds quickly heal, for you and your Airstream.

Making the Better Business Bureau in that area, and the local Chamber of Commerce aware of your problems with that business, is also helpful to others and to that community.

If we can help in any way, please let us know.

Andy
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I was taking notes as I read your bill to suggest items you should contest. As I read I saw you had already made the right decision as far as payment.

However I would not give any consideration to letting them have a second chance. If you have ever heard what happens to a meal sent back to the kitchen you would understand why I say this.

Just stop payment and save your documentation if they want to go to court.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Thanks guys....no more chances....I will never go to this dealership again. I have stopped the check....have a growing file. Found a great RV tech that some friends of friends who heard about this fiasco hooked me up with. He's a keeper. He has worked on Airstreams for a long time...and is documenting/composing a letter of all things NOT done and loaded on the bill. I have contacted the owner to make him aware of all this...no response... left a message each day. Have pics....wait till you see these....what a trip. Will have the bearings checked this week. Thanks again for your awesome help.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Last update...whew! Thanks again for all your advice and support. I was able to talk with the owner at length. I had the bearings checked....all looked good ...so...I will be paying for the inspection....the eletrical cord replacement and the bearings being packed....and I will never go back to this place again. All the other bogus charges were dropped. Lesson learned. Done. Here's a pic of Dora the Explorer....after our renovations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00832-2.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	81704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00837-2.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	81705  

Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #33

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
So what ever happened to your trailer? Did you resolve the drain issue... was the dent huge?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote