Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
Upsizing Fridge in Argosy 24' - Potential issues?

So I solved my bathroom vent fan question from earlier this week, and I'm on to a new problem!

My Argosy 24 came with one of the very small refrigerators, and I knew from the get go that I wanted to replace it with a 'standard' RV size model. The sizing isn't an issue, and I'm going to rebuild a cabinet around it, but my question is about ventilation.

I've already removed the old fridge and the small cabinet above it. The small fridge had a wall scoop behind it leading out a vent in the ceiling, as well as a hole in the floor covered in wire (was that standard?).

Does the newer, larger refrigerator need to be off of the floor a certain amount? Does it need to vent in a different place or can I cut the scoop back until it's above the unit and leave it be? Are there going to be other issues I'm not thinking about?

I haven't found a fridge yet, but I've found a few possibilities… one of them being a newer (but still used) Norcold N821LT.

Any advice for a newbie before I get myself into something big here?
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The new fridge doesn't have to be off the floor, and you need to trim the plastic scoop so it starts just above the upper cooling fins on the back of the fridge.
While you have everything apart, it would be a good time to put a small, 12 volt computer fan somewhere along the wall behind the fridge, with the airflow going up, to help keep it cool on hot days. If it doesn't end up needing the help, great. If it does, you saved yourself a lot of aggravation installing it later.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know, thank you! I may have more logistics questions when I actually find one and go to install it, but I feel confident to keep looking now.

On to the next problem!
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote