Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Unhappy Rotten Meat Smell in Fridge

ok now I camped in the NTM Bambi twice but could not find the culprit for the rotten meat smell in the fridge. It has been cleaned out several times. I do not smell anything as long as the fridge door is completely closed but when it is open, it smells awful even when its cold.

What do I do?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Rotten Meat Smell in Fridge

Put either a box of baking soda in it with the door closed, or a 1/2 cup of fresh coffee grounds in it the same way. Let it sit for a week or so.

Also flush out the drain hose. Sometimes stuff gets into the line and gives off a stink.

Do you prop the door open when it’s in storage? Sometimes smells build up when the door is closed.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
I left the door open while in storage. I have a small bag of potpourri and baking soda bag as well. I guess I will work on the drainage tube.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 08-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Check Outside as Well

After you clean out the drain tube,
open the outside access door and check to see if the same stench is present.
If so, or even if you are not quite sure check under the fridge with a flashlight. Use a mirror to really take a good look under it.
If you find a dead critter. Check for holes in the screen that covers the ventilation hole in the floor (if your model still has one.)
P.S. If you don't find and remove the source of the stench, no amount of baking soda and/or coffee will solve the problem.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Are you sure you are not smelling propane?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Propane smells like rotten eggs, Halford1.
There is a critical difference.
ITSNO60 may be on to something.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Fortunately, even a dead critter will eventually stop stinking.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Are you sure you are not smelling propane?
Thank you... I am profound deaf myself.... my sense of smell, feeling and vision senses had increased to compensate for the loss of my hearing at age of two.

I KNOW what propane smells like. I grill (not BBQ) a lot BTW . Once i smelled a gas leak at home and had gas man come to find the leak, but the gas leak detector did not pick up the leaked gas so I had him to stay while I smelled around and eventually found the loose copper pipe fittings by hot water heater.

I will use my nose this week to find that damn source.

I remember seeing that white tube with screen at end of the tube. I will have to (sic) smell that or look around the fridge. I believe the source is concentrated inside because it only smells so bad the second I open the fridge. gonna need to get me a looooooong tube cleaner!

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #9
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Propane smells like rotten eggs, Halford1.
There is a critical difference.
ITSNO60 may be on to something.
Many years ago when I had a Lance truck camper we had returned from a fishing trip. The following week every time I went into the camper I smelled what I thought was dead, rotting worms. I was sure my buddy had left his worms in there somewhere but as I gradually emptied out the rig I couldn't find them. I finally realized that the oven was on pilot without being lit and it was propane I was smelling. Not sure why the propane was still on, that was a long, long time ago and I probably didn't know any better, or else there was still stuff in the fridge.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Many years ago when I had a Lance truck camper we had returned from a fishing trip. The following week every time I went into the camper I smelled what I thought was dead, rotting worms. I was sure my buddy had left his worms in there somewhere but as I gradually emptied out the rig I couldn't find them. I finally realized that the oven was on pilot without being lit and it was propane I was smelling. Not sure why the propane was still on, that was a long, long time ago and I probably didn't know any better, or else there was still stuff in the fridge.
2nd reason why I am positively, pretty sure that it is not the propane is because I shut it off.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 08-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I once did a major boo boo and turned off the RV fridge, forgetting that the wife had used the freezer for some overflow storage. I was pretty sure I'd ruined the fridge as none of the usual solutions solved the rancid meat smell in the freezer. I've been unable to find my exact procedure so I'm going on memory. I tried this solution posted by a commercial refrigeration guy. I removed everything removable and soaked in a large tub of bleach/water. I poured bleach into the freezer compartment, about 1/2" deep, closed the freezer and let it sit for 24 hours. Obviously after 24 hours or so you clean the mess up. Seems like I had to do it twice to completely eliminate the smell. My recollection of his explanation was tiny food particles in nooks and crannies are the culprit and the concentrated chlorine permeates every nook and crannie eliminating the source of the odor. Try this or not at your own risk as I am going by memory and even if my memory is correct it may not be a brilliant idea. But after much scrubbing, much baking soda, coffee, ammonia, you name it, the bleach soak finally solved the issue. I still use that fridge on a daily basis and no longer get that rude reminder of my mistake. Only your story brought back the not so pleasant memories.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Biglerville , Pennsylvania
I’ve found that weed eater string makes a great snake for this type of cleaning tasks. I’ve used it in clogged fuel lines and rain gutter drains on my car. Cheap and chances are you or your neighbor has a spool laying around to use.

Your fridge drain line is a perfect candidate for this approach.
Dad250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
To the op, maybe the original owner left the fridge closed with food in it and the power off. If so it might not be fixable.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We used a mix of hot water and baking soda to defunk our fridge when we experienced an unattended shutdown. It required a few treatments followed by rinsing each time. We applied the mixture with a pump up sprayer, then left the fridge closed to steam things loose. Then we rinsed with high pressure cold water and wet vacuumed the effluent.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Do not use potpourri. Use fresh wave gel, baking soda and. Preventative, clean out with clorox wipes, put in the fresh wave and baking soda. Keep the door ajar when storing. If you have not found a critter or drain issue, this will take out your smell. Keep baking soda in your frig at all times. Change monthly. We had a bambi and thecspace is crowded. You may want to off liad some items into a Yeti so you have better circoin your frig. I have been OCD on this method of cleaning and storage. Worked well for me. Fresh wave can be found a Bed Bath Beyond and Ace Hardware. I use freshwave in the closets in the units. Also at home. Teally works
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We had a small mouse accidentally smushed by a panel in the rear of our car during a campling trip and it was horrible. We'd known he was in there, we could find evidence of nibbling. Two brazen boys took everything out, flipped up the panel, checked everywhere, annouced they'd shooed him away. Apparently they nailed him when they flipped the panel back down.

Car started to smell a bit funky, but traveling with teenage boys and camping that was sort of the norm. Then a bit stronger but we were headed home and thought it was just all the dirty stuff in the back end. Once we got home, got everything out and cleaned the car it just got worse and worse...eventually we found the poor thing (now fondly referred to as "der flatsy mouse") and scraped him up. Took several months of airing and cleaning until we weren't constantly reminded of our summer vacation.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Uvalde , Texas
Charcoal can usually do the trick. Not ones that have fuel in them.
Retawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Give the fridge a good wash down with dish detergent and bleach. Pour some full strength bleach into the darin at the back of the frige. It gets clooged with debris and greoth because it is always wet and in a warm place on its way to the drain point outside. You may have something in the insulation in the door. Might need a trip to the dealer for a look.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Point made above

Definitely have to prop door open when in storage and fridge is off. There are small tabs available that tuck into the fridge catch to hold the door open a crack to let air circulate. Also you need to completely dry the fridge and freezer before storage. Good time then to wipe it down with mild bleach solution.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Former spouse left a full bag of Costco broccoli Florentine in our Volvo when we had it shipped from Phoenix to Portland and stored for 3 weeks. It was most rank. Air, ozium, and time did the trick.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote