Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrly View Post
Did you say "6 times"??

Guess I'll have to hire me some muscle to help. Or just buy a bar fridge and procrastinate removing the original fridge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Barb,

Terry is saying that because he had a really bad string of "fridge follies", where he was taking out and putting in his fridge more times than a sane person could handle within a short period of time. Good thing he's not sane . I can say this because I know him as a personal friend. A friendship where a bit of insanity is required and encouraged.

Back to taking out the fridge....I believe it is usually at least a 2 person job. Terry has super powers so he did it by himself .

Mary
I first went with a rebuilt cooling unit, then a refurbished used fridge with a rebuilt cooling unit, then three more replacement rebuilt cooling units (because the tubes became clogged inside the cooling unit), and finally a brand-new fridge direct from Airstream. By the time I got done replacing them, it was taking 90 minutes for every removal and re installation. Too bad Nascar doesn't have fridge swapping...
Now you know why I suggested bypassing everything in between, and going with new.
You will have to run a 12 volt power wire to the new fridge, as the RM70+xx series doesn't have a piezoelectric igniter, but a flint wheel for ignition. Other than that, it's not a tough swap.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Barb,

Terry is saying that because he had a really bad string of "fridge follies", where he was taking out and putting in his fridge more times than a sane person could handle within a short period of time. Good thing he's not sane . I can say this because I know him as a personal friend. A friendship where a bit of insanity is required and encouraged.

Back to taking out the fridge....I believe it is usually at least a 2 person job. Terry has super powers so he did it by himself .

Mary
Hmmm...notes to self: Terry has super powers. Mary knows Terry. Mary thinks Terry is insane. That means Mary is... ...or maybe by association

Since I don't have superpowers (at least not fridge-removing-super-powers), I think I'll learn from Terry's experience and probably go with just swapping it out rather than trying to repair it...
__________________

__________________
happygrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
...Too bad Nascar doesn't have fridge swapping...
If they did, you would win hands-down

Thanks for the tips...I think I'll be going the swap route!
__________________
happygrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
I replaced the RM 75 in both my Overlander and Sovereign with an RM 2820. The new ones are really nice and include an inside light.

I would not even think of trying to salvage the original unless it was in pristine condition.

Replacement is not difficult but you must remove the partition to the right of the unit to reveal the hold down plates (one on floor, one on outer wall) to remove the old one.
Thanks, Ron. Based on everyone's feedback on this topic, it looks like a swap out is the way to go.

I figured the partition might have to be removed, so it's good to have that confirmed...
__________________

__________________
happygrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need help identifying these rims NatchezBear Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 4 11-02-2008 07:31 PM
Help with Identifying Silver Threads Off Topic Forum 7 08-06-2007 10:56 PM
Help Identifying Trailer toddster 1961 Safari 3 05-15-2007 08:02 PM
Dometic model fridge in 64' Tradewind? campngirl Refrigerators 5 11-06-2006 04:00 AM
Identifying the Caravel Monte Jones 1969-1971 Caravel 7 07-19-2006 11:19 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.