Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
DPDT Switch Depth - where did you find one deep enough?

I am doing the 2 fan upgrade on my refrigerator replacing the noisy factory fan with 2 SilenX 46CFM fans.

I wanted to install a DPDT switch to control the fans but after looking at the available switches at home depot/radio shack, it appears that none of the switches have enough depth to them to span the width of the particleboard that surrounds my fridge on the '08 23FB. (This is the particleboard that is covered with the thin wood veneer.)

I wanted to install the switch inside the closet to the right of my refrigerator so we could control the fans from insdie the unit instead of having to go out to the outside.

Has anyone successfully found a DPDT or regular toggle switch that would span that gap and allow the thread that seats the toggle to be threaded down to fit the width of the particleboard? If so, where did you buy it?

I ideally would like to find a switch that is illuminated so I know when it is on versus off.

Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Try here: http://order.waytekwire.com/scategor...itch/Switches/ and look at the Carling brand switches. They are rocker type and come in different configurations, including DPDT and illuminated.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I am doing the 2 fan upgrade on my refrigerator replacing the noisy factory fan with 2 SilenX 46CFM fans.

I wanted to install a DPDT switch to control the fans but after looking at the available switches at home depot/radio shack, it appears that none of the switches have enough depth to them to span the width of the particleboard that surrounds my fridge on the '08 23FB. (This is the particleboard that is covered with the thin wood veneer.)

I wanted to install the switch inside the closet to the right of my refrigerator so we could control the fans from insdie the unit instead of having to go out to the outside.

Has anyone successfully found a DPDT or regular toggle switch that would span that gap and allow the thread that seats the toggle to be threaded down to fit the width of the particleboard? If so, where did you buy it?

I ideally would like to find a switch that is illuminated so I know when it is on versus off.

Thanks!
Have you looked at J B Saunders in Boulder? I haven't been there for a few years, but they have a lot of stuff.

I am curious why you need DPDT. Do you want to switch back and forth between the old and new fans?

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I looked through Grainger's DPDT switches and you may have to go with a rocker style switch rather than a toggle. You will have to make a rectangular cut out. I have not seen a toggle with a long enough treaded section to work.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Have you looked at J B Saunders in Boulder? I haven't been there for a few years, but they have a lot of stuff.

I am curious why you need DPDT. Do you want to switch back and forth between the old and new fans?

Regards,

Ken
I'd like to be able to turn one fan or both to control airflow. Thanks for the tips so far!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I've never seen a toggle switch with a long barrel. There are push on-push off switches with long barrels.

Otherwise, you can counterbore the particle board from the rear to provide clearance. Or, bore a large hole from the front, and mount the switch in sheet metal trim.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
If I understand what you need there is a requirement to have both fans switched off. If that is the case then you need a DPDT three position switch.(ON-OFF-ON). The Digikey folks have the switch you need and a nice tutorial on switches.
Regards
Bill

DigiKey Corp. | Electronic Components Distributor | United States Home Page
Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelocta View Post
If I understand what you need there is a requirement to have both fans switched off. If that is the case then you need a DPDT three position switch.(ON-OFF-ON). The Digikey folks have the switch you need and a nice tutorial on switches.
Regards
Bill

DigiKey Corp. | Electronic Components Distributor | United States Home Page
Thanks

This is what I was looking for.