Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
110 AC/12 DC Refrigerator

1965 Tradewind refrigerator not working. Do not want or need propane! Has anyone installed the "Ice Box 110/12 Volt Conversion Kit" sold by Vintage Trailer Supply in this application? Or any other suggestions?!!! Thank you!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Oriental , North Carolina
110/12v

No. I have no knowledge of the kit you asked about. However we recently installed a 110/12V fridge. Our 17 year old Dometic died. Instead of a replacement ac/propane, we opted for this choice. Turns out the hardest thing was getting the old one out. There are several manufacturers, sizes etc.
Ours is an Isotherm model used in boats. It takes up a little less overall space but actually has more room inside than the old one. We are very happy with the switch. Good luck with your project.
BrunoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykytiukr View Post
1965 Tradewind refrigerator not working. Do not want or need propane! Has anyone installed the "Ice Box 110/12 Volt Conversion Kit" sold by Vintage Trailer Supply in this application? Or any other suggestions?!!! Thank you!
Would look at either Isotherm or Vitrifrigo for a conversion kit. Both sell marine grade units that run on 12VDC and are excellent! Not sure what VTS sells.

Another thought to consider is the condition of the door seals on your existing RV fridge. These are usually 'challenged' right from the factory and generally can not be counted on when trying to upgrade to a marine cooling unit.

Also, new marine units have magnetic door seals and far better latching mechanisms. I install them on a regular basis and have never had a complaint about the performance, even in very high ambient temperatures.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Would look at either Isotherm or Vitrifrigo for a conversion kit. Both sell marine grade units that run on 12VDC and are excellent! Not sure what VTS sells.

Another thought to consider is the condition of the door seals on your existing RV fridge. These are usually 'challenged' right from the factory and generally can not be counted on when trying to upgrade to a marine cooling unit.

Also, new marine units have magnetic door seals and far better latching mechanisms. I install them on a regular basis and have never had a complaint about the performance, even in very high ambient temperatures.
I have a marine grade refer on my short list. The ones I have been looking at draw between 3-5 amps. I have a '73 Tradewind that has a battery compartment for ONE battery. I can't afford the LION batteries, so... how long would the refer run on a good AGM battery? Would a portable solar array with two 100w panels be enough to keep the battery charged? I have switched all the lights to LED. The only other major amp draw I can think of would be the heater; intermittently.

Thanks so much Lewster, I have read reviews on your installs and you seem like the man to ask these questions to.
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadvox View Post
I have a marine grade refer on my short list. The ones I have been looking at draw between 3-5 amps. I have a '73 Tradewind that has a battery compartment for ONE battery. I can't afford the LION batteries, so... how long would the refer run on a good AGM battery? Would a portable solar array with two 100w panels be enough to keep the battery charged? I have switched all the lights to LED. The only other major amp draw I can think of would be the heater; intermittently.

Thanks so much Lewster, I have read reviews on your installs and you seem like the man to ask these questions to.
PM sent.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Oriental , North Carolina
We have had a dc fridge on our sailboat for over 10 years. When the propane one in the Safari died, I was actually glad. Except for the timing. In the end we went with Isotherm. Got a great price and no shipping costs. Oh it was less than replacing with a new Dometic propane model. The unit is smaller than the original Dometic foot print but has more interior space. Power wise it falls in under 5 amps. We use the ac to get it to temp for trips then to dc while traveling. My mechanical skills are limited but ended up doing installation mostly myself. Which means it was easy. The ac and dc were already there. A couple of butt connectors and a fuse. I hired a carpenter I know to do the finishing work.
We have 2 lifeline agm gc batteries. Currently collecting the solar parts and hope to have that done in a month. On the boat we have to old Seimen 75 watt panels and they keep up with the frigaboat fridge fine. On the Safari it's going to be 2 140 watt panels.fully believe it will be the same outcome. The installation is easy and getting rid of propane fridge is a big plus as far as I'm concerned.
Lew helped all along the way. It helps that he has tons of knowledge on both rv's and boats. And he is extremely open to sharing his experiences and expertise.
Wish he was closer I owe him a dinner.
BrunoT is offline   Reply With Quote