Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
you won't have any trouble. We camped in Grant Village with a Tundra CrewMax and our 19'. It was a back-in site.

We now also have a 23FB and would probably book a drive-through next time.

We saw a rig with a large Ram 2500 crewcab pulling a fifth wheel, which in turn was pulling an ATV trailer. It was probably pushing 60'-65' total length. He fit in a drive through but was overhanging. The rangers did not ask him to leave.

As previously noted, the length noted on the sites refer to the trailer length.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #62
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
This is my favorite place to stay on the west side of yellowstone - it's about 12 miles from the park, off the beaten path and has a great view - ask for one of the sites at the edge of the park for an unobstructed view of meadows and mountains.

http://www.redrockrvpark.com/index.html

You can read reviews here: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...edrock-rv-park

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #63
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I called the reservation center and the lady said I was 3 feet over even though I told her I had an overhang of 7 feet from the trailer back bumper to back axle. She told me they were strict at the park and would hate for me to drive there and get turned away.
wdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #64
Rivet Master

take a look at this website of pictures: http://www.campsitephotos.com/campgr...nt-Village-002

You can see the various trailers in there. Are you sure you don't have a 19' plus the Tundra of about 20' for a total of 39'????
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

One other suggestion; the roads around the campsites are one way so you would want to reserve a site that you pull in on the right so that your trailer door is facing the picnic table and fire ring, and not the road.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #66
wdh
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Well I called the Yellowstone Reservation back and the sites are definitely based on the combined length of truck and trailer. I questioned the lady about the sites I saw in the pictures from the link Steamy1 provided and she told me they had sites up to 50ft long. The pulldown menu from their website did not give an option for greater than 40ft. I did get a reservation from the different lady so I will see Yellowstone this summer.
wdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We stayed in Fishing Bridge. It's tight and hardly a place to sit around a campfire, which is prohibited anyway. If I were to do Yellowstone again, then I'd stay there again.

To me, Yellowstone is hardly a place to stick around the campsite. We were out all day every day. So coming back to the trailer was just to sleep, we ate at the cafeteria as well. It was nice to have full hookups.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
We have reservations at Fishing Bridge for just that reason,full hookups to sleep and eat at. When visiting you are so busy it's nice to go back to.

The Streaming Gantt's
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
We stayed in Fishing Bridge. It's tight and hardly a place to sit around a campfire, which is prohibited anyway. If I were to do Yellowstone again, then I'd stay there again.

To me, Yellowstone is hardly a place to stick around the campsite. We were out all day every day. So coming back to the trailer was just to sleep, we ate at the cafeteria as well. It was nice to have full hookups.
You are absolutely correct. Campsites in National Parks are for eating and sleeping. Packing them is preserves more of the park.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Fishing Bridge - Attempt to get a site in one of the four front loops. The roads on those loops were recently surfaced. The upper loops have older roads, which work, but have more chuck holes to dodge. Also, FB is supposed to be Grizzly territory. That came from another ASer so it must be true. We saw no animals in the FB camp ground other than ground squirrels and puppy dogs, but.......

We recently purchased a National Geographic video Series on the Geography of National parks. The lecture is a bit scholastic, but there is no test and the info does explain why the Teton and Yellowstone parks are so different. It's all quite interesting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and it is a 10+ park, walking distance to everything.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Fishing Bridge RV Park has no fire rings or picnic tables because it is located in a Grizzly rich area. Last year, a few were seen moving through the area but none hung around. That is generally a good thing.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstewart23 View Post
I was able to make a reservation at Headwaters RV not far from the YS park, and I was also able to make on at the Mountainside KOA at the west entrance. I have a teen so internet at the trailer might be a good thing and I need to check on my job. So I'll probably stay at the west entrance and just rough it with the traffic etc. Also I read where Headwaters RV Park's sewer hookups in some sites too high off the ground to use successfully, that is a concern, I do not want to have to look for another location and burn a day doing that. I also heard some of Fishing Bridges and Colter Bay Village are too high too.

Headwaters RV is Flagg ranch and is several miles south from the south entrance to Yellowstone. Mostly sandy sites but plenty of shade, and there is a restaurant and store on site with booze and fuel. For us it was a good way to tour both Yellowstone and Grand Teton. You do have some driving to do for example Old Faithful was about a 60 mile drive one way...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Lots of great info ...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #75
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Fishing bridge is a gravel site with a hard surface access road. The sites are supposed to be angled which gives you the feeling of more space.

We were there last Fall. The first set of loops have been replaced. The back loops were a bit worse for wear.

FB is about the only park that we reserved in our first year of camping.

Brother uses the more primitive CGs inside the park and enjoys a he discount for being over the hill.

If you go to see, FB is ok. If the visit is an emotive experiences, you may not be so happy there, but it is certainly the most convenient.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Just left there last week. All we needed was a clean site easy access,full hookups, close to everything... Fishing bridge did this. No pick nick table no fire ring. Great store walking distance , visitors center( walk down to the beach behind it and relax once!) all you need is to sleep and eat, right? Cause you're in YELLOWSTONE!
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1466428101.729699.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1466428226.787339.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  106.4 KB

The Streaming Gantt's on Airstream Forums
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Casper , Wyoming
Has anyone had luck with Norris campground which is first come first serve? It's the only first come first serve that allows generators and we've been having problems with batteries. Also I'm confused on length. We have a 27 ft and pull with a F250. I never heard there was a length requirement.
Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!
We've stayed at Headwaters Flag Ranch and not too impressed. Other option is Grizzly RV park but want the full camping experience. A lot of those places don't have a fire pit.
Racheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #78
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Norris is nice but has limited long RV sites. Mammoth has larger sites, no resv. and allows gennies. You may have better luck there as it is the last one to fill up. Check out this page which gives all the info on CG's. There is only a length problem if you reserve in advance and can't fit into the site, and there is no other site available,
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Casper , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Norris is nice but has limited long RV sites. Mammoth has larger sites, no resv. and allows gennies. You may have better luck there as it is the last one to fill up. Check out this page which gives all the info on CG's. There is only a length problem if you reserve in advance and can't fit into the site, and there is no other site available,
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Thanks I'll checkout Mammoth!
Racheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Champaign , Illinois
Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone

A couple of years ago we stayed at Fishing Bridge. We made reservations the first part of January of that year because I needed their largest location since we had a 42 foot mh . It was tight backing into the spot but we were successful. Everybody is correct that it is like Walmart with grass but we were looking for location and hookups. I left our grill outside after cooking and the ranger came by and asked that we put it away since it would attract animals, especially bears. They were nice about it and we quickly put it in the coaches basement.
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote