Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Worst Seat in the House

Our experience is somewhat different. We generally pick a CG using ALLSTAYS, call ahead a couple of hours before stopping to confirm availability, and try to land before sunset. The operator generally wants to park us up front in the 'transient' row. I am not shy about doing a drive through and requesting the spot that appeals to us, and generally find the operator quite accommodating.

Churches are an interesting option. We had a very pleasant experience stopping one evening at a Missionary Church in Cary, MS, in the Delta. Simply noticed a small road sign "RV Parking" and followed it over the RR tracks. Fine concrete pads with full hookups in the Church parking lot. A welcoming notice board requesting that we make ourselves comfortable and go to the church in the morning with a $20 donation. Very quiet night.

Safe Travels,

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We constantly arrive late at night well after the office closes. Most KOA campgrounds let you specify what you want at reservation time, so we rarely have an issue. I plan far enough ahead that I can pick the type of site I want well in advance. A few hours planning, making and paying reservations, then building the trip book with all the data needed for the trip is worth the effort.

So far, really long stays have been in a relatives front yard with power and water only. That is on a level concrete pad just long enough for our wheels to sit on, next to his garage. First time out took a quick trip to the home center for an appropriate 30 amp RV outlet and circuit breaker to add to the panel in his garage. Now we are all set for next time. I carry enough water hose to reach a hose tap on the side of his house, and gray water nourishes the lawn on the downslope side. It works, and the grandkids are totally fascinated by the AS.

It takes a little adapting, maybe a few compromises to be comfortable, but we have never have issues with a bad site so far.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I tell them we have a 34' camper.. not an AS.. I also mention I have a bit of a vision issue and that pull-thru's are usually best so I don't wake up the whole place if I arrive late..
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
I would think if you just asked for a pull through, they would give it to you. Never been told no unless they were full.
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Pacific Grove , California
Site selection aides

Google earth is also very helpful when making reservations or to determine if a campground will suit your taste. We usually like a little more privacy or buffer space, so finding a site from an aerial photo can be very helpful. When we don't have reservations if we have researched it first with GE we know basically where we want to set up and do a focused drive thru. We generally find we can get into almost anything with our 25' FB. We usually stay more than one night.

Gretchen & Carl
GFA.arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've had some great sites, and I've had some terrible sites. No pattern I've noticed. We usually make reservations well in advance though.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Could just be good business practice. If as a campground owner you know the highest % of trailers coming thru after dark a larger units MOHO/5TH's why would give a site that they can't fit in, to a smaller unit that can fit just fine and is leaving the next day. If you gave away the larger site and a large rv came in latter you would have to turn them away. You can always put smaller units in larger sites. Can't put a 40'+ in a 25' site. Sell from the bottom up.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by GFA.arch View Post
Google earth is also very helpful when making reservations or to determine if a campground will suit your taste.
I always check Google Earth (or at least the Satellite view on Google Maps) for every campground I'm making reservations for, especially ones where I can select which site to reserve. I prefer a site with abundant shade, so a site that I can't even see for all the trees in the way is perfect for me. That much shade isn't always available, but I'll take as much shade as the campground offers.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote