Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Worst Seat in the House

In our somewhat varied and extensive Airstream camping experience, we have noticed that we very often get the most undesirable site in the campground.

We have, on many occasions, arrived late at a campground with a telephone reservation. It is most often after dark. The campground staff always seems to find us a tight site way in the back that is difficult to find and tough to get into. Then we find when we are leaving in the morning that are are several large pull-throughs right up front that had not been occupied. We have asked about this phenomenon on several occasions, and have been told that they always hold those sights out for the big rigs. These sights are the same price as our crumby sight.

Are we the only one that this happens to? Are we saying the wrong things when we reserve a site?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We usually stay at KOAs, and you can specify a pull-through site when you reserve it. It may coast a few bucks more, but I have always been able to get one--some more spectacular than others. I've had a few tight ones to get in and out of, but fortunately got them AFTER I had a chance to practice with the ProPride setup. It did change the maneuver behaviour a bit--now the AS acts more like a fifth wheel setup than a standard ball setup. Just enough difference to make it interesting at times...we won't talk about the bend in the step frame I acquired when the AS went further right and onto the top of a curb than I thought it would...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In our somewhat varied and extensive Airstream camping experience, we have noticed that we very often get the most undesirable site in the campground.

We have, on many occasions, arrived late at a campground with a telephone reservation. It is most often after dark. The campground staff always seems to find us a tight site way in the back that is difficult to find and tough to get into. Then we find when we are leaving in the morning that are are several large pull-throughs right up front that had not been occupied. We have asked about this phenomenon on several occasions, and have been told that they always hold those sights out for the big rigs. These sights are the same price as our crumby sight.

Are we the only one that this happens to? Are we saying the wrong things when we reserve a site?

Brian
Hi, as you know, we virtually never make reservations; We have also been put way in the back at only a few camp grounds. It might be an Airstream jealousy thing. On our most recent trip, one KOA had everyone in a circle towards the entrance. They put us way in the back away from everyone. But in this case, I actually liked it back there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As an experiment, the next few times you reserve a spot, when they ask what kind of trailer you have, tell them it's a Thor 25.
Let us know if it makes a difference.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We always hated making "cold calls" at campgrounds, but also avoided making reservations whenever possible.

Most days, I would, and do, call ahead for availability, tell them a back in is fine, but level and reasonably close to the bathhouse is requested.

Few problems this way, if they are full up or can't meet my request, they say so.

Some campgrounds hold specific sites for "overnighters".

We have seen some where these are all in the front, all pull-thru, one way in and one way out, very easy and designed to minimize disruption for the longer-term sites.

Some campgrounds give overnighters something less desirable, but not often....have seen it all.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've started saying my 25', which is actually 25' 11", is 26'. I do this thinking there might be a 25' cut off that gets you the next size bigger in a site. It may not help, but it can't hurt.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
They usually never ask what kind of trailer, just the length.
At EZ Daze RV park in Southaven, MS, they give me a pull-through even though I don't ask for or require a pull-through.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
I Thought it was "just us".
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If I'm just staying overnight I ask for a drive through, whether it is when I make reservations or not. I tell them my total rig length since I'm not planning to unhook. I do not remember ever being refused a drive through if a site was available.

If I'm planning to stay for more than overnight I'll ask for the specific lot I want when making reservations. It's pretty much take what is available without reservations.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Never had that problem. But we also don't arrive after dark. On a simple overnight stop, we make it a point to arrive at least 1/2 hour before sunset so we can get set up in the light. Of course, we have the luxury of time so aren't pressed to drive 10 + hours a day for days on end. This time of the year when the sun sets around 5 or 5:30, our routine can limit us to 250 to 300 mile days which is just about our preferred longest daily driving distance anyway.

Oh, and if we are making reservations, we do generally tell the CG that our 27 footer is a 29 footer to help avoid getting a too tight site. So far in over 120 nights on the road this year, we have only had one really bad site in Baddeck Nova Scotia but could have moved if we'd wanted to bother.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We seldom show up after dark.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Many campgrounds have maps online so we have that ready when calling for reservations, ask what is available, then we can pick and choose. If just moving along without reservations and it gets dark the navigator finds us a Walmart, Flying J, rest area or the like.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
WalMart Alternatives

Many churches will graciously allow you to park - especially if you offer to put $20 in the collection plate or poor box.

Several old fraternal organizations have free camping - usually only water and electric - some boondocking. Moosetags why not join the Moose Club?

And don't forget Cracker Barrel, over half have RV parking in the back.

Paula
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Many churches where I attend seminars, meetings, singings, or retreats have hookups and don't charge, but it is first come first served.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Worst Seat in the House

Our experience is somewhat different. We generally pick a CG using ALLSTAYS, call ahead a couple of hours before stopping to confirm availability, and try to land before sunset. The operator generally wants to park us up front in the 'transient' row. I am not shy about doing a drive through and requesting the spot that appeals to us, and generally find the operator quite accommodating.

Churches are an interesting option. We had a very pleasant experience stopping one evening at a Missionary Church in Cary, MS, in the Delta. Simply noticed a small road sign "RV Parking" and followed it over the RR tracks. Fine concrete pads with full hookups in the Church parking lot. A welcoming notice board requesting that we make ourselves comfortable and go to the church in the morning with a $20 donation. Very quiet night.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We constantly arrive late at night well after the office closes. Most KOA campgrounds let you specify what you want at reservation time, so we rarely have an issue. I plan far enough ahead that I can pick the type of site I want well in advance. A few hours planning, making and paying reservations, then building the trip book with all the data needed for the trip is worth the effort.

So far, really long stays have been in a relatives front yard with power and water only. That is on a level concrete pad just long enough for our wheels to sit on, next to his garage. First time out took a quick trip to the home center for an appropriate 30 amp RV outlet and circuit breaker to add to the panel in his garage. Now we are all set for next time. I carry enough water hose to reach a hose tap on the side of his house, and gray water nourishes the lawn on the downslope side. It works, and the grandkids are totally fascinated by the AS.

It takes a little adapting, maybe a few compromises to be comfortable, but we have never have issues with a bad site so far.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I tell them we have a 34' camper.. not an AS.. I also mention I have a bit of a vision issue and that pull-thru's are usually best so I don't wake up the whole place if I arrive late..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I would think if you just asked for a pull through, they would give it to you. Never been told no unless they were full.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Pacific Grove , California
Site selection aides

Google earth is also very helpful when making reservations or to determine if a campground will suit your taste. We usually like a little more privacy or buffer space, so finding a site from an aerial photo can be very helpful. When we don't have reservations if we have researched it first with GE we know basically where we want to set up and do a focused drive thru. We generally find we can get into almost anything with our 25' FB. We usually stay more than one night.

Gretchen & Carl
GFA.arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've had some great sites, and I've had some terrible sites. No pattern I've noticed. We usually make reservations well in advance though.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote