Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Wondering about wandering?

We are planning a trip east in early December and returning home in early January to visit family. We will be departing California and traveling to North Carolina. Last year we did the same trip and used Interstate 40. Interstate 40 was a direct route, though we hit some expected snow in Arizona, New Mexico, and surprisingly North Carolina. We were wondering if this year we might use Interstate 10 to avoid most of the normal snowfall. I understand that last year was an unusual heavy snowfall year, even in areas that do not receive much snow. Has anyone traveled using interstate 10 during December and January? Did you run into snow or any extreme weather conditions? Did traveling near the Mexican border cause you concerns or make you feel unsafe? Is Interstate 10 a good route to use with an Airstream? Are there any favorite RV parks or campsites you recommend along the way? Do you have any don’t miss sites along the way. Thank for all your helpful information.
Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been in Louisiana on or near Interstate 10 many times in January. I think that December and January are the worst months for winter in Louisiana and southern Mississippi, which 10 will also take you through.

It is colder than you might think, and you could run into light snow or ice. We sat through an ice storm last February near South Padre Island, though, so no place is truly safe.

We didn't have any problems near the Mexican border, just behave yourself as the Border Patrol are everywhere.

If you have not spent any time in Louisiana and southern Mississippi, those are beautiful, beautiful parts of the country and would be worth your time to peruse thoroughly.

We like Gulf Island National Seashore in southern Mississippi.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
The information you provided is great. We may try going to North Carolina on the 10 to see new areas. I will put Gulf Island National Seashore on out list. I know I asked a lot of questions, but figured if someone has done It before they know what to see. Many thanks John and Laura, Shiny Drag-on
Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
FWIW, we are supposed to have a winter this year similar to last winter. It is due to a La Nina pattern... Or so our local weather guru says....
We travel from Ashland, Oregon down to Tucson and avoid the mountains altogether. It is too bad because the ride down the I-5 is pretty ugly and there aren't many places to stay overnight. We found a delightful (!) roadside truck stop for a night. It was clean and nice but noisy. Then we go directly towards Bakersfield on another ugly route. If we could find one more decent place to stop for a night, we would. It's a long ride for us but going into the mountains is not an option at that time of year.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I picked up my son in San Diego prior to his departure date for Japan (USMC) and we drove back to Corpus Christi following the US/Mexican border as closely as possible. It is well worthwhile. From, thus, Benson, AZ to Bisbee to Animas to Columbus thence El Paso.

From El Paso, set course for Wichita Falls, and take US-82 all the way to Birmingham, AL. FRom there, 59 to Chattanooga, TN.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
REDNAX,thanks so much for the route information. I hope the trip with your son brings you a lot of happy memories. When you talk to your son let him Know that the Shiny Dragon thanks him for his service...Go Marines.