Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Winthrop WA Balloon Festival 3/4-6/16

It's that time of year again. The Winthrop WA Balloon Festival runs from March 4 to 6 this year. It's a small intimate festival in a small town in northeast Washington. See the website: http://www.balloonwinthrop.com/balloonroundup.html

It's winter camping and it can get cold at night. Two years ago it got down into the high teens but we had full hookups and our Flying Cloud did just fine. We stay at Pine Near RV park which is a short walk to town and short drive to the launch site. Lots of good restaurants in town and shopping too. The RV park website is: http://www.pinenearpark.com/ The people there are very friendly and helpful. There is plenty of snow on the ground but they are clearing out sites as the reservations come in.

If you like winter camping or want to give it a try, this is a good time and place. The balloon launch time is early morning so dress warm with good boots and gloves. At night they shut down the main street and do a "glow" with several balloons tethered to the ground. Weather this time of year can be good as the balloonists need clear calm weather to launch.

For us the drive from Portland is beautiful, a lot of which goes through the countryside with farms and wineries. However, we have to watch the weather for extended road conditions.

I just checked with Anna at Pine Near and 24 of their 40 sites are already booked. That's quite an increase as two years ago, we were the only ones there. The owners have been putting a lot of effort into upgrading the park. If you go, let them know early as they have to dig out a site and get the hookups ready for you.

We will be there with another AS couple so we hope to see you there.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That is an interesting destination event. Can't make it due to a prior commitment, but worth adding to the todo destination list. Baloons are cool. Thanks for the link. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
That is an interesting destination event. Can't make it due to a prior commitment, but worth adding to the todo destination list. Baloons are cool. Thanks for the link. Pat
If you like balloon events, I'm sure you've read about the Albuquerque Balloon Festival one of the world's best. This is very small intimate event with only 12 to 20 balloons. I've been to both and they are a great time. Maybe we will see you next year.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes, we have. Will get to that one sometime. It's been on our list for a while. Couple at JC were headed that way after their service and we talked to some folks about the rally and the caravan that ends up at the BF. We happened upon an event there almost 40 years ago while we were moving out to CA. Quite wonderful to see so many balloons in one place.

This one is interesting, because it is close. I also have some pictures somewhere of a balloon that was flying over Tualatin. They were hunting for a place to land. Tried our parking lot but ended up sitting down in the middle of an intersection. Any port in a storm as they say.

Pat
Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The balloon you saw over Tualatin was probably from a small annual festival at Cook Park in Tigard. I've never been because it's so crowded and there is only one way in and out. There's a car show there too. I might go this year and take me 65 Mustang and can get in easier with a show car. Anyway, as I said, maybe we'll see you next year. I'm from Los Gatos but love living in Oregon.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Here’s a site to follow if you’re traveling through New Jersey and would like to take in a balloon festival at the later end of July. http://balloonfestival.com/entertainment/daily/
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Must be a lot of festivals around the country. Pat
Old 02-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Quincy Balloon Festival

I also understand there is a great balloon festival in Quincy, in eastern WA. http://wenatchee.org/event/hot-air-balloon-festival/
Haven't been there but it is on my list.

Have Fun
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote