Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
What are the Things to do in Jackson Center Ohio

I'm going to Jackson center ohio to the airstream factory at the end of march 2014 what are some of the things to do in the area?
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
There are several existing threads on the subject, scamp. Try this one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nt-116424.html
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
And don't miss the Subway shop on main street. Fine cuisine, for sure.

Actually I had just been released, to begin walking, from a broken heel.

I was doing good to go through the factory tour with a cane.

Regardless of whether you stay at the plant (and your trailer), or find a motel, the tourist fare is challenging, to say the least.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Stay warm while outside.

Actually depending on interests and schedule Ohio has lots to see. I'm an Ohio native but home is now SC.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Bicycle & U.S. Air Force Museums

There really isn't much to to in and around Jackson Center, OH so bring some books! There is the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton OH (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/) and the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen which is about 20 miles away (Bicycle Museum of America)

Have fun!
Bob
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you are there for a few days you can get on the interstate and go to eastern ohio Amish country. Kings island amusement park north of Cincinnati if it is still there. Do not know how far you want to travel in a day. May not be open yet, forgot about the crummy weather in Ohio. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
www.warthers.com

Absolutely incredible museum of hand carved steam engines.

www.lehmans.com

A must see hardware store.

Both are a bit east of you but for your consideration. Columbus OH has a lot too.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
There really isn't much to to in and around Jackson Center, OH so bring some books! There is the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton OH (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/) and the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen which is about 20 miles away (Bicycle Museum of America)

Have fun!
Bob
These attractions are on my list for our September service center appointment.
We also plan to go into Indiana after the service center and tour the Studebaker Museum, The Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum, and The RV Motorhome Hall of Fame.
I can't wait. Chompin' at the bit! Rarin' to go!
I'm so excited I'm about to bust...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I even have an old recumbent bicycle I want to donate or loan to the bicycle museum.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Not too much. There is however a great hardware store out the drive to the left a few blocks. Well within walking distance. Owned by a former AS employee. Cool place, nice fellow.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Sounds like the samll town where I grew up. The only thing to do in town was get out of town!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
In addition to the bicycle museum in New Bremen, the Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Wapakoneta (next exit north on I-75) is well worth seeing.

Armstrong Air and Space Museum | Welcome | Armstrong Air and Space Museum Auglaize County Wapakoneta Ohio

And, as many have pointed out, you could spend days at the Air Force museum and not see it all.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Boredom and wonder.

We toured the factory, which didn't impress a material handling/plant layout/manufacturing engineer. The workers on the floor always had time to stop production and friendly chat with us. We listened to Ol' Don evade and excuse questions like "Why does Airstream still sweep construction debris into inaccessible hidden areas of the trailer instead of simply sweeping all the swarf out the door?"...Answer; "We bought a couple of shop vacs last year, but we can't get anyone to use them". We worried that Ol' Don might not last the tour.

We rummaged through the pile of discontinued old stock for sale, but it was all useless to us. We checked out the service department and concluded that these guys were too slow for $140/hr. and they will never see our Airstream. We wondered at the effectiveness of the sprinkler on a stick that they detected customer's leak complaints with. We walked around the factory grounds and wondered about their recycling and trash disposal. We wondered why the construction debris was under our bathtub instead of in the giant dumpsters. We walked around the wonderful old trailers staged out front. We saw the Bowlus. We bought some high priced souvenirs that we didn't need at the Airstream store out of boredom. The weather was nice, so we toured every street in town and smiled and waved to all the off shift AS Factory Rats drinking beer and smoking in their lawn-chaired driveways. Had a wonderful lunch at the Bistro a few blocks from factory near the closed-up old church/museum. Hardware store was closed. We wondered why Byam chose this town to build trailers, and went home...

It was an informative and pleasant adventure. I guess I'm easily amused.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Downer! We're hoping for a more positive experience in a couple of weeks.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Honestly we make a visit there an event of nothing. We plan out trip by bringing plenty of food and anything else we need. There is a bank of grills available to use but bring charcoal.
Its a great opportunity to stock up on parts and t-shirts type things.
We usually get some housecleaning and some organizing done. The tour everyday at 2pm with Don is great! He is a longtime friend to our family.
Dumpster diving there always scores some good stuff. We then get a pre journey good nights sleep then hit the road to wherever is next. JC is completely too far to use as a home base to journey out.
Nonetheless you'll have a great time if you plan on being there your destination and leave it at that!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Boredom and wonder.

We toured the factory, which didn't impress a material handling/plant layout/manufacturing engineer. The workers on the floor always had time to stop production and friendly chat with us. We listened to Ol' Don evade and excuse questions like "Why does Airstream still sweep construction debris into inaccessible hidden areas of the trailer instead of simply sweeping all the swarf out the door?"...Answer; "We bought a couple of shop vacs last year, but we can't get anyone to use them". We worried that Ol' Don might not last the tour.

We rummaged through the pile of discontinued old stock for sale, but it was all useless to us. We checked out the service department and concluded that these guys were too slow for $140/hr. and they will never see our Airstream. We wondered at the effectiveness of the sprinkler on a stick that they detected customer's leak complaints with. We walked around the factory grounds and wondered about their recycling and trash disposal. We wondered why the construction debris was under our bathtub instead of in the giant dumpsters. We walked around the wonderful old trailers staged out front. We saw the Bowlus. We bought some high priced souvenirs that we didn't need at the Airstream store out of boredom. The weather was nice, so we toured every street in town and smiled and waved to all the off shift AS Factory Rats drinking beer and smoking in their lawn-chaired driveways. Had a wonderful lunch at the Bistro a few blocks from factory near the closed-up old church/museum. Hardware store was closed. We wondered why Byam chose this town to build trailers, and went home...

It was an informative and pleasant adventure. I guess I'm easily amused.
We are always amused by the discomfort of city dwellers visiting our own little village of 700 wonderful people. The draw at Jackson Center is the factory, the heart of lake country at our place. Same tourists wandering around lost in paradise and they don't even know it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Doug, you are so right! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dumpster diving there always scores some good stuff
Really?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have scored segment protectors, led lighting, a new water pump, miscellaneous hardware, rivets by the box, outside shower.....
Not too proud to dive at my favorite factory!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
If the weather continues as it has there will still be snow on the ground . There is a ski resort not far from JC called Mad Mountain so bring your skis if you have some if not I'm sure you could rent some from them . It's on HWY 33 highest point in Ohio .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote