Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Washington Wine Country

We just returned from a nice long tour of the Washington State grape growing regions. A wonderful trip, so I thought it might be helpful to post something of our experiences here.

We left the Seattle area and spent one night in the town of Prosser. In Prosser we stayed at the Wine Country RV Park.

Unfortunately the Park didn’t quite live up to our expectations and we likely wouldn’t return. It was extremely hot without a reasonably sized tree anywhere within the park to provide a hint of shade. The park did offer WiFi, but required permission from management to connect, and utilized an odd connection process in an apparent effort to keep non-park visitors from stealing bandwidth. The sites were small, and our electrical hookup seemed weak. We didn’t try the provided cable TV connection, but a fellow a few spaces over said it gave very poor picture quality. There was a pool, but it is closed in the early evening, so by the time it was within the shade, we were unable to use it. Lastly I should mention that the bathroom/shower facilities were very nice, but alas there was a fee for using them. Nightly rates seemed about average for the area.

We may have enticed one of our neighbors in the park to give Airstream a try. He was in a brand spanking new SOB, and came over to ask about towing as he was shocked that we were able to pull our Overlander with a 1500 Silverado. Apparently his SOB has been giving him a good deal of sway problems. In any event he was curious to learn that we have not had his bad sway experiences, and he seemed quite interested in the fact that an Airstream as old as ours could be so nice inside. Perhaps his next new RV will be of the silver variety.

Beyond the RV Park Prosser is a great place to taste wine because the wineries are mostly located in a compact area, and some of them are quite beautiful. The staffs are generally very friendly and knowledgeable, and some fun wines can be found.

From Prosser we moved to Walla Walla where we stayed at the Fairway RV Resort.

We enjoyed this park, and stayed for three nights. While again it was without much in the way of shade trees, it is a brand new park, and they seem to be making heroic efforts to get the little guys growing. The WiFi was easy to use and fast. The park offers no pull through sites, but the sites were reasonably sized and easily accommodated us. The bathroom/shower facilities were quite nice. No other amenities were offered or advertised. Nightly rates seemed about average for the area.

Two items seem to merit special mention. If one stays at Fairway, it is gated at night, and one had better keep the gate code handy for it is closed up at 6:00pm each evening. Also, the park is divided into two sections with buildings separating the sections. These sections are not visible too each other. We did however walk to the second section, and it is obvious that we were in the nice half. The second area seemed quite dumpy. We don’t know if rates are cheaper there, so some folks deliberately choose it, or if the staff directs visitors to one half or the other based upon their perception of the RV one arrives in. We do know that we were surrounded by very large and newish motorhomes in the nice section, while the other section seemed populated by old looking SOB trailers. Assuming that the staff directs based upon look of the RV, they must not have realized just how old our Airstream really is.

Generally speaking the wineries in the Walla Walla area are not as nice to visit as those closer to the Prosser area. They just don’t seem as large, or as fancy. That said many of them have dedicated tasting rooms within the town, which is quite nice as one can walk from room to room and sample a great variety of wines. It is also our opinion that Walla Walla area wines are of better quality than those from elsewhere. Spring Valley and Otis Kenyon should not be missed and both have tasting rooms conveniently located downtown.

We did, while staying in Walla Walla, travel to Pendleton Oregon, and one restaurant experience there merits special mention I think. Hamley Steakhouse offered an amazing dinner and their own-labeled wine was superb. While there a visit to the Hamley store shouldn’t be missed.

Our last night was spent in Ellensburg, where we stayed at the Yakima River RV Park.

This park was like a step back in time. It offered no amenities, but the location was beautiful, with full hookups and all pull through spaces. Self-service, you pick your spot, and leave your money in a box. It was quiet, in the middle of a working cattle ranch. Surrounded by large trees, and close to the river, we loved it, and will certainly return. A newer Classic was parked next to us, the only Airstream we shared a park with on this trip. The rates at this park were a bit high for the area, especially given the lack of any amenities, but it was so peaceful that we were quite happy to pay them.

While in Ellensburg we found another superb restaurant, Pearl’s on Pearl Bistro. Simply amazing food, with a wine list to match.

We did drive into the two other RV parks in Ellensburg; Yakima River RV is clearly superior provided that one can live without amenities.

Lastly I should mention that on the way back home, driving just east of Ellensburg we were passed by an Airstream so well polished that it made the eyes hurt just lookin at it!

I see that this post has grown quite long; I hope that it proves helpful to those traveling through Washington’s Wine Country.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Wow you were just minutes from us (we're in Yakima). If you are ever looking to hit the tours there are several nice RV places in Naches (just west of Yakima) at Rimrock Lake.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Thank you for the Rimrock Lake tip. I've never been, but look forward to checking out out on my next trip over likely in the spring.
www.cameron-bailey.com
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
This is my favorite kind of post!
Thanks for the detailed and helpful reviews. You're good at it, so I hope you do this again after your next trip.
Happy trails!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We will be headed out to Washington State next mo. and hope to hit the wine country before we meet for a family gathering. Did you happen to see any quaint little towns we should not miss. We are especially interested in antiques and architecture.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Overlander (cough) seems to have it covered,
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Thanks for your wonderful review of the RV parks in the Washington state area! Our son recently moved to Redmond, and we are planning a trip north next summer. Thanks to your reviews and some comments, you have made my job a little easier.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
What a coincidence! Our Overlander also spent a few nights in the tri-cities and Grandview areas this month. We also went to the Oregon coast and to Crater Lake.

We were very pleased with Cape Lookout State Park near Tillamook. Full hookups, paved sites, 300' from the beach, and moderate winds because the dunes sheltered the campground.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Thank you all for your kind compliments. I'm pleased that the post was found useful.

I think that for antiques and architecture the small City of Snohomish can not be beat. It is on the west side of the state, about an hour north of Seattle. Not in the grape growing region, but ten or twelve miles to the south is the City of Woodinville which is home to a tremendous number of wineries.

While traveling north to Redmond I have to recommend a stop at the Washington Unit WBCCI Land Yacht Harbor. It's a great facility.

It seems that Albert and I have very similar tastes in travel. We also visited the Oregon Coast. The KOA at Fort Stevens is a wonderful place to stay (in the premium sites) but very costly during high season. We also greatly enjoyed the Cannon Beach RV Resort.
www.cameron-bailey.com
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Smile washington wine

thanks for the input..will definitely put it on the have to see list.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Good thread! I have stayed at both Wine Country and Fairway and agree with your reviews. I like the location of Fairway, close to town and wineries, makes for a nice day of wine tasting.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote