Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Jcanavera made some excellent posts on these topics in a variety of threads a while back. I found what he & others had to say enlightening. I have not seen him online of late, so I will summarize in case he does not see this thread to comment.

I was using a locking pin for my hitch until it was pointed out that the lock adds more time to unhooking from the trailer in case of major catastrophe (like fire).

Although someone else pointed it out, I will also say it is not a good idea to lock the knobs on propane cylinders. Overlander64 shared a tale about sitting at the campground when someone else's LPG pigtail ruptured, and spewed gas everywhere. Had the valves been locked, it could have been a bad scene since the owner was not there. Its okay, though, to lock the cylinders to the trailer.

I think most states frown on driving with the LPG on. Regardless, I remember Jack indicating that he never refills his tow vehicle at a station where another RV is taking on fuel because there is a distinct possibility that that person did not turn off their gas refrigerator pilot before pulling in.

My personal fear is that someone (and it will probably be my five year old) will pull the breakaway brake line, and either run my battery down or smoke my brakes, or both. To that end, I'm thinking about putting some sort of buzzer on the system to let me know.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I have had someone pull the brakaway cable on me, this trip.. That is so annoying - It can burn out the brakes, and the controller.. Fortunately, it did neither - I don't think it works... I have a CDL so I do a pre trip, every trip, but the brakaway was pulled, as I registered for a campsite, and I did not notice, until I pulled into the allocated site - I know it was pulled there, as I had pretripped the rig 30 miles earlier, and had not stopped anywhere. Get into the habit of checking everything on the rig, after every stop - the world is full of self centered, jealous fools, who think nothing of pulling a pin, or stealing from you.. You have something they do not, so they hate you.. Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
NEVER wonder that! Your efforts make our world livable, can't imagine where would wouuld be if not for the sacrifice so few have made!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We do a walkaround before getting back in the tow vehicle after every stop. A quick glance will tell you if all the important pins are in place, including the breakaway. I don't run with the gas on, so I usually give the handles a twist to make sure they are closed.

I only made this a habit thinking things might shake loose or fall off while travelling. Scary that anyone would actually mess with your rig in a parking lot.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
No Way

Quote:
You have something they do not, so they hate you.. Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
Jealousy has nothing to do with your service; it has to do with the general downfall of society.

Without your service, it would be a lot worse.

So thank you.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
and furthermore

On another note, this is a scary thread. I believe it all because I hear jealous comments about our trailer all the time. People leave notes taped to her wanting to know if she's for sale (they always say "cheap") and people also say ALL the time "I'm going to get one of these."

I think it's best to agree with one of the above posts.. We'll watch your back and you watch ours.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
My personal fear is that someone (and it will probably be my five year old) will pull the breakaway brake line, and either run my battery down or smoke my brakes, or both. To that end, I'm thinking about putting some sort of buzzer on the system to let me know.
Tom,

If I may make a recommendation. Get a backup alarm and wire it to the output side of the breakaway. If the pin is pulled it would set off the alarm. The only question I would have is if the voltage to the brakes when they are working as normal back feeds into the wire that is fed by the breakaway switch.

Just a random thought....
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Just becasue you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...
I am not paranoid.
The other voices in my head are the paranoid ones!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
...The only question I would have is if the voltage to the brakes when they are working as normal back feeds into the wire that is fed by the breakaway switch...
Yeah, that's the part I'm struggling with. It appears that I will need a black box of electronic parts that will sound the alarm only if the juice comes from the battery wire, and NOT the brake wire.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I haven't seen such a device for sale. Maybe I will make one; I could list it on AirstreamBrakeLanyardPulledAlarm.com. I hope Mr. Champ doesn't catch wind of it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
...I keep a padlock through the release lever on my hitch at all times...
Keeping the release lever locked while in transit seems to me to be quite dangerous -- I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
...I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.
Actually, my plan, in the event of an emergency, is to pull the pin holding the drawbar in the receiver, disconnect the safety chains, and hit the gas pedal. My Overlander will be left with the release lever still locked to the drawbar.

Granted it is tough on the trailer jack, but at this point I would be trying to save the tow vehicle.

Tom
Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Keeping the release lever locked while in transit seems to me to be quite dangerous -- I wouldn't want to be scrambling for a key in the event of an emergency where I would need to quickly release the hitch.
I use a lock in the lever. You need to have a pin in there anyway to prevent it from opening while your driving down a bumpy road. (so you don't watch it pass you!) My plan is the same as TomW
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Nice world we live in, isn't it. Makes me wonder if the 27 years I put in, for the military, was wasted time.
It is a cumulative thing. many individuals together can make a big difference.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
I haven't had any problems traveling out here in the northwest. No one has bothered our rig. But I will keep an eye out. Thanks,
Chuck
WBCCI#7854