Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Vogel Park Logistics Recommendations

So, the wife and I are celbrating this weekend 7 years of marriage and 12 years total of being together

We are booked for Vogel State Park in Blairsville, GA. Per google maps it is approximately 4.5 hours drive from our home location of Birmingham, AL.

We are booked for friday through monday. My wife gets off of work Thursday at 9pm. My dad and step mom are keeping our two kids for the weekend.

I spoke to a person via phone from Vogel and was told that check in is at 1pm but could as early as 11am or 12pm pick up a spot.

If I leave b-ham at 7am (central time) I would perhaps arrive between 1pm-2pm (would hit ATL area about 10am). If I try to shoot for earlier I risk hitting (I presume?) ATL traffic around that beltway making that nearly pointless? Any advise about this drive?

I was last night toying around with the idea of just taking off thursday night, get Just around ATL, and find a place to park and sleep just overnight, then get up and easily get to the CG early for my prime pick? I have absolutely no idea at this point where I would park and camp...it would I presume be too hot to dry camp at a gas station or a WM...but its a possibility if someone has a good recommendation...yeah this is sounding a bit too ambitous aint it, lol...

We booked a quick 2 hour white water rafting trip for sunday at the ocoee river over near blue ridge, TN for sunday...we are really excited about that...other plans so far are perhaps a half day hike one day, swimming at the lake, grilling, and just relaxing etc...MAYBE will do a float trip on hiwasee river if we get bored with just R&R (doubtful)...

I hope to see some lovely wildlife and such and shoot some memorable nature photos...I spoke with skatiero (Katie) and they recently were there (just missed them ) and saw a tiny baby bear...I would die to get within reach of that shot...albeit at a safe distance and not be eaten (my long lens is 70-200 f4).

Will bring the mountain bikes for a bit of riding if there are fun trails there (we chill ride, nothing intense).

In looking at the map, if I am able to shoot for one of the spots around #50 spot in the CG, that looks prime? are there any terrible spots to avoid if possible? I have a reservation but they are first come first serve choice.

Any fun shopping in that area worth checking out?

We will try and find a nice place to dine out one night perhaps...hopefull nice, but nuthin "too fancy"...recommendations?

Recommendations, tips, etc are GREATLY appreciated....SO EXCITED! It is rare we are child free...its going to feel weird.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
have not been in a while but the Brasstown Valley Lodge in Young Harris (about 10 miles east) had a nice buffet lunch and of course a great place for dinner..you can check-out their website..also the drive up to Brasstown Bald (the highest peak in GA) is a nice drive with great views from the top...most of the shopping in the area is arts & crafts and antiques..blue ridge has a quaint downtown area with local shops..there is access to the Appalachian Trail from Vogel State Park
happy anniversary!!!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool - and thanks !!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
You will love Vogel. It is one of my favorite mountain campgrounds (Cloudland Canyon SP on Lookout Mtn another one of my favorites). If you have time, Helen, GA is fun. It is a Bavarian village not too far south of Vogel. Also, Anderson Music Hall in Hiawassee just north of Vogel, has name bands playing there from time to time. You can check their schedule on their website. GA Mountain Fairgrounds campground is next to the music hall on Lake Chatuge.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We were just there this past weekend w Katie and Rob. We live north of Atlanta and drove up 400 and 19. A very, very curvy road for the last 30-45 minutes. Beautiful scenery but very curvy as you work your way up. My husband and I talked about maybe trying 575 and the cutting across to Blairsville next time. It's 20 minutes longer per my map program but more of a straight shot - although not sure what the roads are like when you cut across but per my internet research, people are saying it's an easier drive. If you are driving up in morning rush hour time, 575 will have less traffic as everyone else is going the other way. Traffic is heavier going up 400 until you pass Alpharetta as that is a commuting route going that way. You may want to consider this.

They have a nice little lake where you can rent peddle boats and canoes too I think. Very relaxing. There's a 4.2 mile hike right in the park that we didn't have time for but plan to do next time.

Bring a sweater for the evening. I actually turned my electric mattress pad on at night ( just a bit to take the chill off). I bet that will be a welcome change from
Alabama

It's a great area!

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
awesome..

Also, as I consider my drive...there is an alternative route that instead of doing I20 to hit 285 around ATL...I could just go up from b-ham through ft. payne on 20/59, then chatanooga, then east on this 2 lane highway that goes along lake ocoee...then clip bottom left of NC, then down to destination...google maps gives it similar drive time....

Chatanooga could be traffic problem, but arguably nothing like ATL...that highway going east from chatonooga looks nice an scenic as well....US 74 it is I believe

Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
awesome..

Also, as I consider my drive...there is an alternative route that instead of doing I20 to hit 285 around ATL...I could just go up from b-ham through ft. payne on 20/59, then chatanooga, then east on this 2 lane highway that goes along lake ocoee...then clip bottom left of NC, then down to destination...google maps gives it similar drive time....

Chatanooga could be traffic problem, but arguably nothing like ATL...that highway going east from chatonooga looks nice an scenic as well....US 74 it is I believe
the drive around lake ocoee is very scenic, but be aware that the road in many places is narrow, curvy, and has rock overhangs..

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am cautious - but the road is quite doable correct?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
There are several ways to approach the park but only one that I would attempt pulling a trailer and that is via 19/129 from Blairsville south to the turnoff to the park. All other roads involve mountain passes with steep and curvy roads. Ideal for riding a motorcycle but not so for a trailer. From Atlanta I would take 75 north to 575 to 76 east to Blairsville and the 19/129 south to 180 and then into the park.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
There is another route 20/59 to Gadsden then cut east to Rome etc

Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Doable if you have a lot of patience. Lots of small towns each with plenty of red lights and trips around the town square. I've been that way and it seemed to take forever and we were on a Goldwing! If you can time your arrival into Atlanta on I20, you will soon be heading away on 75/575 and then it is four lane all the way to Blairsville.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Problem with ATL is that it may prevent me from getting there by say noon

If I leave home at 5am I hit ATL rush hour

If I leave home 7am I hit ATL at 10am bit would not hit destination till 2

I think I will take the Chattanooga or Gadsden to Rome route but I'm still not sure

I am patient and do t mind the red lights and smaller roads - bit would mind if it is too much a "white knuckle drive"

Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Google shows the route through Rome to be 221 miles and 4 hours travel time to Blairsville. Going through Chattanooga is the same drive time and only 22 more miles. I have been both ways ( I spent quite a bit of time in this area) and if I were going back up there with a 30' trailer, I would go through Rome. Chattanooga is not pleasant to drive through for me.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Thank you!!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My father said the same thing and I started to worry about that drive east of Chattanooga being too white knuckle to enjoy pulling my 30

Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Now, as far as places to eat. Once you have dropped off the trailer and it is time for lunch, time your arrival at Turners Corner for a delightful meal while sitting above the babbling creek. Turners Corner is at the junction of 19/129 and route 11. Leaving the park you turn right and head for Neel Gap. At the pass is an interesting spot if you are curious about the Appalachian Trail. The AT makes it way across the road and there is an establishment called Mountain Crossing which sells all manner of hiking gear and other related items. The trail actually passes through the building and is the only spot along the entirety of the trail where it does. Continue on past the top of the mountain and down, down, down to the bottom of the hill. Hwy 11 will continue straight and 19 will turn to the right. Turners Corner Cafe is at this juncture. Once you have had your fill you can take 19 on into Dahlonega or 11 via 75a way to Helen. Both are equally worthy of the time while Helen is more touristy. Should you decide to visit Helen, return back to 75a as you came but look for the right turn to 348. This road will start you back towards your campsite via the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway. You will cross the AT once again and come close to it as you pass over Hog Pen Gap. At the stop sign turn left and go a short distance to a second stop sign and turn left again heading back to VSP. There is an Italian place there in Blairsville that has had good food in the past as well as excellent coffee and dessert. It is located next to the Best Western Motel on the main stretch.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent info - much appreciated!!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Look at Carter's lake it's 70 miles north of Atlanta near elijay and blue ridge very nice you reserve a site and see a picture of each site . Hope you have a great trip
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We are all packed and ready to roll in the morning bright and early

Packing without kids is much easier!!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
If you go to Helen definitely should check out Top of Ga Airstream park if you haven't already. It's a few mile N of Helen. Vogel is clearly a better experience, but TOG is worth considering another time.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote