Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I just downshift the Tundra until I find a speed I'm comfortable with. If it's a straight stretch, which is not usually the case, I'll go up a gear. Otherwise, with the usual curves on the downhill side of a pass, I drop to 2nd gear. I'll apply some brakes occasionally to keep it at 45-50. Works fine for me, and is easy. But I'm just pulling a 23' trailer..
One of the most sensible approaches I've seen on here. You can drive my truck anytime.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
^^^ Thanks for the suggestions.

The only time I felt uncomfortable in an RV was in our Sprinter SOB Class B coming from La Veta CO to Pagosa Springs on Rt 160.

Things got pretty sporty when we got near the summit and it started to snow lol.

Oh, that and the drive from the Visitor Center to Mesa Verde State Park. Fortunately that was a nice sunny day. At least so I was told, my eyes were closed the whole way.

So far with the Airstream, we've only encountered the Rockies on interstates (6%) and the road down into Furnace Springs (10%).

Going up has never been an issue, just slow and steady. Coming down, I pace my self and keep plenty of room ahead. Also try and take any descending curves very carefully, and not try and brake in the turn.

Appreciate all the suggestions, especially as someone with minimal towing experience.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I just downshift the Tundra until I find a speed I'm comfortable with. If it's a straight stretch, which is not usually the case, I'll go up a gear. Otherwise, with the usual curves on the downhill side of a pass, I drop to 2nd gear. I'll apply some brakes occasionally to keep it at 45-50. Works fine for me, and is easy. But I'm just pulling a 23' trailer..
Nailed it. ^ ^ ^

The steeper the grade, the lower the gear. Reduce your speed BEFORE the descent. We coming out of one of the passes in the Rockies that had a multiple warning signs restricting large trucks to 25mph. I was real comfortable following suit.

Just because you CAN pull at 70 doesn't mean you SHOULD. My speedometer goes up to 120, but that doesn't mean I should try. The speed limit doesn't change just because it's raining, snowing, icy, night, windy, congested, you are towing, or anything else, but wisdom requires you to slow down.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's not just being able to slow down. It's also room to accelerate to correct a sway.

The hitch is constantly in compression. Not good.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
I have a hard time traveling 60 or 65 when traffic is at a 75 avg whipping past me. I typically set the cruise for 70. We are on the east coast so its mostly flat. we tow with a GMC 3500 diesel.....I know it's over kill with a 8800# flying cloud but we tote around a golf cart for the "rv resorts" my wife and kids love.
thoreau2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile speed down hill

This a little off thread but in Il. all roads except interstates are 55 or slower and lot of them are clear for miles with out towns. Having some one driving up and down from 35 to 50 is hazardous and very hard to follow when towing. Back to speed down hill I do as I posted before, let crazies go. I stay in rt. lane down shift as needed to control speed to save brakes tapping if going to fast. Have never cooked or had fade of brakes in 67 yrs. of drivers lic. [car at 15 yrs. old truck lic. at 18 yrs. old], plus few yrs. before lic. driving small to large vehicles. When cars only had manual trans. and mech. brakes, you learned very quickly to down shift and not speed down hills. I'm not slow poke as I'm called a speed demon but drive safely having many yrs. of racing [starting at 15 yrs. old] from stock cars, open wheel of all venues, and motorcycles dirt and ice. Plus also commercial pilot lic. when 79 yrs. old 176 mph at 1/12 mile track, was fun and back to younger days. Will not let wife drive when I'm in car [she is reckless and doesn't use common sense]. Also had euroupian lic. driving in many countries. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
This a little off thread but in Il. all roads except interstates are 55 or slower and lot of them are clear for miles with out towns. Having some one driving up and down from 35 to 50 is hazardous and very hard to follow when towing. Back to speed down hill I do as I posted before, let crazies go. I stay in rt. lane down shift as needed to control speed to save brakes tapping if going to fast. Have never cooked or had fade of brakes in 67 yrs. of drivers lic. [car at 15 yrs. old truck lic. at 18 yrs. old], plus few yrs. before lic. driving small to large vehicles. When cars only had manual trans. and mech. brakes, you learned very quickly to down shift and not speed down hills. I'm not slow poke as I'm called a speed demon but drive safely having many yrs. of racing [starting at 15 yrs. old] from stock cars, open wheel of all venues, and motorcycles dirt and ice. Plus also commercial pilot lic. when 79 yrs. old 176 mph at 1/12 mile track, was fun and back to younger days. Will not let wife drive when I'm in car [she is reckless and doesn't use common sense]. Also had euroupian lic. driving in many countries. Bill
I made typo should be 1and1/2 mile track not 1/12. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote