Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Marfa , Texas
Towing on the freeway!! Tips.

We have had our airstream for about a year now, we've done a lot of towing in rural Texas, but now we have the itch for a big road trip. I like the idea of sticking to smaller roads, highways and outskirts of bigger city's, but I know we will hit some freeway action. I know slow and steady will when the race at the end of the day!, but I'm looking for some friendly advice and tips from some more experienced airstreamer's.
Thanks!

1965 ambassador international 28ft
MarfaTX1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
First, I am sure you have sway control? Right, I knew you would.

I am super freakish about staying in the far right lane while traveling. Of course I use the next over (never the far left which is usually illigal to tow in) when needing to pass, but then get right back over, and I do it before anyone has a chance to think about passing me on the right.

I am of the very vocal opinion that our freeways are less safe because we have archaic speed limits and do not enforce "no passing on the right." My friends and family are sick of me talking about it, so thanks for opening a thread where I can share my opinion with a new group.

How often do you see someone make an unsafe pass on the freeway? How often are these unsafe passes because someone else is riding in the passing lane "aka Fastlane"?

Did you catch that news clip today of the accident on a Texas freeway? The car was passing on the right. It is hard to see a car that is overtaking you on the right where there are more blind spots, especially when towing.

Ride in the right and let the cars go by, but not the world

A different note, watch yourself when at Rest stops along I5 in the west. There is too much bad stuff that happens.

Man, I am with you on the preference to sticking to the back roads. I clearly have nothing good to say about freeways. Nevertheless, I hope your travels are great even when the freeway is involved.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Marfa , Texas
We do have the sway control for sure!!! Thanks for sharing @thiss
Old 07-08-2016, 04:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We prefer back roads as well but for some reason we find ourselves spending and inordinate amount of time on interstates. I have many miles logged in all types of vehicles from motorcycles to riding in big rigs with one of my drivers (former drivers, thankfully retired) and I have no issues with interstates.

Simply we try to travel with the flow, staying at or below 65mph. If that requires the right hand lane as the speed limit in some areas we travel is 80mph so be it.

I would suggest one check the mirrors as often as one looks ahead as on interstates that is often where problems begin with someone coming up behind or beside you.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I stay in the right lane and I drive 55 MPH, sometimes creeping up to 60. I keep my focus well ahead and check my left mirror often. Because I have a ProPride hitch, passing trucks do not bother me although some seem to get awfully close to me. I prefer back roads with little traffic but freeway driving can be fairly restful without people pulling out from every side road. We stop at nearly every rest area but enjoy using our AS for the toilet and lunch facilities.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've never heard it is illegal to tow in ANY lane. New one on me, I'll need to look that one up.

I use freeways a lot. I still work. Usually my weekend trips start with clocking out at 5, then jumping on a freeway for a couple of hours in some direction.

I set the cruise at 62mph and just keep my eyes open and move over when cars are entering the road.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Staying in the right lane is good until you get into the heart of a large metropolitan area where the freeway is 3 lanes wide or more. Then move over to the second lane and avoid all of the local traffic hopping on and off the freeway exits. Most drivers never look until the last moment and expect you to yield for them.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also like the right lane when towing. I have also found that if I tow at 62 MPH in that lane I am not slowing down traffic as cars and trucks have the left lane to pass. If I come upon a vehicle travelling to slow I will pass but first check my mirrors and if safe I will accelorate and move into the left to pass. After passing I again check my mirrors to ensure it is safe and then move back into the right lane.
The challenge is when it is a three or fourlane highway because some vehicles travel at a reduce speed in the middle lanes. If that is the case I will stay in my lane and pass on the right.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
How often do you see someone make an unsafe pass on the freeway? How often are these unsafe passes because someone else is riding in the passing lane "aka Fastlane"?
There is no such thing as a "fast lane." The speed limit is the same in every lane. The right lane is the "slow lane" as in the posted signs saying "slower traffic keep right," but that doesn't make any other lane the fast lane.

But there sure are a lot of people who think the left lane is the "name your own speed limit" lane!

If the highway widens out to three or more lanes (I-635 in Dallas, for instance), I'll move into the second lane because I've lost track of the number of times I slowed to let a merging vehicle get in front of me, only to have that merging vehicle slow down as well so that we still nearly hit each other!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Marfa , Texas
Great advice from all. Thanks!

Safe travels to ya'
Old 07-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
In west Texas you should have no concerns until you get to Houston, Austin or Dallas. I usually look for a way around Houston, but take the Dallas area and Austin area head on, like others have pointed out in the larger cities move to the second lane from the right to avoid merging traffic. I 35 from San Antonio to DFW can be a nightmare - note we live in Temple, dead center of this area.
Towing east on I 10 from Marfa keep your speed down and be alert for strong crosswinds. I seldom tow faster than 60-61 mph or slower than 59 on the Interstate system.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Ditto what Mojo said. And for us, we keep it at 65, there is just no rush! Funny thing, since buying the AS several years back, we even drive slower when not towing....much more enjoyable.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarfaTX1965 View Post
We have had our airstream for about a year now, we've done a lot of towing in rural Texas, but now we have the itch for a big road trip. I like the idea of sticking to smaller roads, highways and outskirts of bigger city's, but I know we will hit some freeway action. I know slow and steady will when the race at the end of the day!, but I'm looking for some friendly advice and tips from some more experienced airstreamer's.
Thanks!

1965 ambassador international 28ft
I am with you on the more rural roads but be sure of your route if in mountainous country or urban areas. Secondary roads in Illinois and Texas for example seem to be well planned and maintained. On interstates I keep mostly in the right lane at a speed about 10 mph below the speed limit but never over 65. I almost never change lanes to let someone in from an on ramp. Changing lanes while towing can be dangerous in heavy traffic. The ramps are designed for incoming traffic to accelerate, match traffic speed and merge. I do give them a gap. There are sometimes idiots with a death wish who race down the ramp, then stop before merging and wind up pulling on to the interstate in front of traffic at below minimum speed. Other comments tell of using the center lane if there are 3 lanes or the second lane if 4 or more. That is good advice but again use special caution changing lanes. When using an on ramp, give a left turn signal to let other drivers know you plan to merge. Most are polite enough to give you a gap. Be prepared to use the shoulder if not.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I too prefer secondary roads, but on longer winter getaway trips, Interstates are pretty much mandatory to reach destination within a reasonable time.

I generally try to travel at the average speed of vehicles traveling with me - some pass me, I pass some!

Having 16" LT tires is a plus in this regard as they are not speed limited to 65mph and interstate average speeds often tend to be a bit higher. I know some RV'ers would consider such speeds unsafe no matter what tires you have but I feel ok at about 70. I use a Hensley hitch and I try to leave lots of braking space ahead of me -not easy of course as people keep filling it!

If there are three lanes in my direction, which often seems to be the case, I generally will pick the centre lane and stick with it as best I can.

The reason I avoid the right lane is because of traffic merging on.

I have no idea why it is, but so many people merging on seem to have no clue about the onus being on them - where possible - to use the ramp to adjust their speed to blend in to the flow easily.

If I do happen to be in the right lane - or in any lane - I usually do try to leave a good size gap in front of me, yet more often than not I will have a car entering on an on-ramp and rather than speed up to get in ahead of me or slow down let let me go, they ride right along next to me on the ramp seemingly intentionally setting up a dangerous situation.

Usually traffic is such that I cannot pull into the faster lane to give them space, so unless I force the person to stop, or he has the brains to speed up and pull in ahead of me, I have to brake to let them in - so frustrating to have that happen over and over! That's why I prefer the middle lane!

The only thing about favouring the centre lane is that of course you really need to be constantly checking both mirrors to be aware of vehicles on either side of you. It becomes automatic.

When in built up areas an a busy multilane interstate that I am not familiar with, I really keep a close eye on the GPS - and turn off the radio so I am not distracted! This really helps so that I can position myself in the correct lane well in advance of having to exit right or left.

Not all - but many fellow drivers are not very courteous in helping you do to that no matter how long you have your turn signals going, so it really helps to get set up well before you reach the exit! It seems often that cars coming up in the lane you need to move to actually speed up to stop you doing so! Maybe I am just paranoid!

I always try to make sure the fuel tank is full before approaching a large city so I am ok if I get stuck in a traffic jam! Not fun with a large trailer trying to fill up in a city - gas stations tend not to have as much space either. If you need diesel, that can be another complicating factor!

I usually try to use major truck stops such as Flying J or Pilot to fill up when we are perhaps 20 miles before hitting a large city.

Those are my few thoughts for what they might be worth!

It really isn't that bad, I think the biggest thing is to keep ones cool and don't be upset by the antics and bad manners of some few of your fellow road users!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You'll do fine. Just adopt an approach when driving no matter the road nor weather that you need to not get flustered by things that can easily be fixed or worked around up to and including not making it to the destination you set out for earlier in the day. Airplane pilots that end up in bad situations frequently get there because of "gotta get there-itis" and end up making bad decisions. If you miss an exit just go around. If you get caught in construction or slow traffic take a chill pill. If you can't drive safely pull over. Overall I try to pick a lane and stay in it through a big city. I am able to go the speed limit for the most part so I don't feel like I'm holding up any traffic in one of the center lanes and I have options as exits and off-ramps come up instead of being caught at the last minute in an exit lane at 65 MPH. I have a camera on the back of the trailer for lane changes and backing up. Otherwise it's just like driving on a normal day without your trailer!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
A few other pointers about towing on the I-roads

We are long distance folks, so interstates are unavoidable even if we prefer the slower pace of state highways and county roads.

Good advice above n speed, lane choice, etc. Here are a few pointers I didn't see as I skimmed the earlier responses:

-Make sure your mirrors are wide enough to see down both sides of the trailer. Get accessory mirrors if necessary. Set them for proper viewing before you start out and use them. There will be times you have to change lanes. Visibility behind is key.

-Test your lights, especially turn signals before you go and at every stop. My pigtail connection gets loose sometimes. When it does, my left turn signal and brake light don't work. The second step to this pointer is to signal every turn and lane change.

-Use your mirrors even with light or no traffic to make sure you know where your trailer is positioned in the lane. In our case, the AS is 2 1/2 feet wider than the TV. Lane positioning requires far more precision with the trailer than without. Mirrors are the key to see that your widest part is positioned in the lane with clearance to both side lane lines.

-Time your trip to avoid urban areas at rush hour. This morning we moved from the North Carolina/Virginia border up I-85 and I-95 to Maryland. That included downtown Richmond and (ugh!) the Washington Capital Beltway through Northern Virginia. We used to live in the Washington area, so I planned this trip to pass through those areas near noon. Even still we had three separate slowdowns. Atlanta on I75/85 is about as bad. In these areas lane width is sometimes under 10 feet on interstates which leaves inches of clearance. Best to tackle it with as little traffic as possible.

I hope that helps.

Say a prayer for the police in Dallas and law enforcement across the USA today!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Don't mean to steal the thread but what gear on the freeway do most of you tow in? I tow with a six speed Lexus RX350 and tow in 4th to minimize the transmission shifting back and forth. I rarely use cruise control. Do many folks use cruise control on the freeway and let the transmission shift more or just keep your foot on the accelerator and try to minimize the transmission shifting?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Freeway Towing Tips

1. Get a good sway elimination hitch. Hensley or similar, do your research, make your choice... no more panic or sway when an 18 wheeler passes you... can be expensive, but how much is your piece of mind worth?

2. If I were full time or towed a lot on freeways, I would invest in a good tire pressure monitoring system. In over twenty years of free way towing, I have had at least two trailer tire blow-outs, one of which did some damage to a wheelwell.

3. Get a dash cam video... how many times has driver tried to cut you off in a free way merge... or cut in too soon when passing you? If you had to go to court after an accident, having a video record could make the difference.

4. Get a good foam fire extinguisher or two or three... again, I have seen several engine fires going down the freeway over the years and was glad I had an effective extinguisher to help. See:

http://www.macthefireguy.com/fire-ex...tion-for-rvers

https://www.amazon.com/ColdFire-Fire...+extinguishers

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+extinguisher

I keep two in my Airstream, one in my tow truck and one in my home kitchen.

5. As others have mentioned... run in the inside lane, but be very careful of those merging from on ramps... move over to the right lane if possible... or run in the second lane over on multiple lane freeways. Maintain a good distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you... more than you would in normal driving conditions with just your personal vehicle... this allows you more time to stop with that big trailer behind you or more options to evade debris or tire debris that might come off the vehicle or 18 wheeler in front of you when they have a blow out...

6. STOP and REST every two hours at a minimum. I rarely run over 300-350 miles a day unless I absolutely have to. Start early, stop early.

7. Balance the use of your truck brakes and trailer brakes going down a steep grade. Downshift if you can to take advantage of engine braking...

7. Like others I rarely run over 62-63 MPH when towing...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I believe most of the concepts have been suggested. I just want to add weight to some. "They are all out to get you! Watch out!"

You can not always move over to let another vehicle enter. Only travel in the right hand lane if there are only two lanes. If you are in the right lane and the merging car is on a collision path. Establish eye contact or honk early. You may have to slow or accelerate. Get the flashers on if you have to slow. I think making the merger slow may be safest, but .. as in many situations it depends. Remember that they are out to get you. Some have poor skills and are inexperienced. Some are distracted. Some have not seen you and will react correctly when they do. Others will screw it up. You can't.

Stay away from major cities during rush hour. That includes lunch. The commuters need all the road they can get and your being in the way is not a help to their day. If you are still working, you get it. The rest of us need to work on the concept. A late start is not a bad thing. Alternatively, travel later in the day and work to the other side of the metro area before you stop for the night. Then you have clear road to start out the next day's travel.

Muddling through stop light to stop light traffic can be an alternative to the speed of an interstate. Folks expect to stop and go at each light. Stopping on an interstate is always unexpected. Use your flashers.

Be aware of the high cost assigned to trailers on the Texas toll roads. Some folks set the GPS for no toll roads.

Some GPS systems are very good at suggesting alternative routing. Take care. It can be easier to maintain your route....it depends. May be a good time to fuel up.

Good luck. Travel safe. Take it slow. Don't cut corners too close. Don't back up without looking first. Watch for low overhangs and branches on side streets and parks. Watch for drop offs, bumps and transitions. Remember "there is 40 ft of train" back there. Don't give up. Trucks get through. You can too. It's just a new learning experience. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Avoid interstates in Idaho if possible mainly from burley to nampa. The semis towing triples are doing 80+ mph. But I run down the freeway around 72 mph with no issues. Just make sure and give your truck and trailer a good checkup before a road trip.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote