Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Tips for towing on I-95 NJ to FL

Looking for a refresher on what to avoid on the drive down south.

Can anyone provide specifics on go-arounds for anything that we should avoid?

Leaving this Saturday.

Also -- any tips for nice campgrounds along the way would be awesome.

Taking three kids, no pets.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
The beltway in DC is going to suck, and try not to hit Richmond or Jacksonville at rush hour. Take the eastern bypass (I-295) around Jax. Never driven thru Philly on 95.

Not too much help on campgrounds. We stay overnight at Green Acres RV park in Walterboro, SC because it is very close to 95 and has pull-throughs. It is convenient but not really what I would call "nice". OK for an overnite, not somewhere I would want to hang out.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have always tried to avoid I-95 south of NJ. For one thing with propane, I believe that you cannot use either of the two I-95 Baltimore tunnels, and must instead take the I-695 loop around the city.

Propane Regulations

The traffic on 95 is very demanding and crowded. Leaving on a Saturday should be better than a business day though. Sunday morning early would be your best bet IMO.

One option is to go down the Delmarva Eastern Shore and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (toll and propane must be off -- double check their regs. too). Much more relaxing and scenic than 95. You end up in Virginia in the country once you clear the Newport News and Virginia Beach area.

Another option is to go west on I-78 to Harrisburg PA and take a left on I-81 south through the Shenandoah Valley which is very relaxing and scenic, with many many campgrounds available nearby, in the foothills of The Applachians.

[edit -- deleted VA CG ideas, looks like they are closed for the winter]

With the weather still so mild in the East, your options will be open-ended IMO, as there should be no rush to get south of the frost/freeze line.

What line is that?

In SW Virginia you can leave 81 to head south on I-77 and I-26 to re-connect with I-95 in South Carolina. This route may be a bit longer, but it is much more scenic and relaxing, with better roads IMO.

Good luck and have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We just did this drive (NJ to Tampa) substantially on I95 about two weeks ago with our 27' FC FB.

We stayed at Cherry Hill RV Park in Greenbelt MD the first night. Would definitely recommend Cherry Hill.

We went through a tunnel on I95 on the way through Baltimore, I was not aware of any restrictions. My tanks were off.

I95 is VERY rough in places, make SURE your rig is securely attached (kinda obvious, bit we are new).

We went directly through Baltimore but took the southern beltway in DC, crossing the Woodrow Wilson bridge.

We also took the bypass around Richmond.

I used to live in Washington so I was pretty familiar with DC/Baltimore traffic. It is just busy all the time. WMAL radio is a good local traffic station for up to the minute reports for DC traffic.

More if I can think of something.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I have always tried to avoid I-95 south of NJ. For one thing with propane, I believe that you cannot use either of the two I-95 Baltimore tunnels, and must instead take the I-695 loop around the city.

Propane Regulations
Oops.

Good info.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Oops.

Good info.
I believe the fines are very steep if you get caught, and some forum posts mention a "must appear" ticket [can't plead guity and pay fine by mail alone?].

PS -- search results for Baltimore tunnel propane for other threads:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...pane&gsc.sort=
Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
For sure you must avoid the Baltimore tunnels. Not too bad to go around but even better how about 301. You pick it up just over the bridge in Delaware and it will bring you back to 95 just north of Richmond. Take the 295 by-pass and from there south it's not too bad. I've taken 95 through Phila and it's not bad but not sure about construction. Avoid rush hour on that one for sure. You can avoid the bridge toll by going through Phila. So if that's one of your goals go for it. There's a toll in Delaware and one in Maryland. I have figured out how to avoid them so it can be done. I'm really not sure if it's worth it. The Delaware toll is pretty easy to go around. The Maryland one not quite so easy. I think it's 695 that will take you around Baltimore. It's a good road and not a bad trip but try to avoid rush hour if you can. Otherwise the Key bridge works to go around the tunnels. I usually take 301 when coming northbound. It's a good road and the only toll is the Annapolis bridge. Much more relaxing a ride than 95 through Balt / DC. If you have a 2 axel trailer these tolls can get pretty pricey. We're heading south in a couple of weeks but we left our trailer in Georgia so we'll be going that far without.

Good luck. Have a good trip

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey

Ok, so:

1. take 695 around Baltimore (propane restrictions in tunnel)

2. Take 495 around DC.

3. Take 295 around Richmond

After that, I recall it being pretty easy. Sound about right?

Q: do I go 495 west or east (left or right side of DC when looking at the map) ?

Maryland websites says propane ok if you have 10lbs or less per cylinder? Up to 10 cylinders?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I've gone both ways around DC. Pretty close to equal in travel but I like the eastern route better.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Propane Regulations

The traffic on 95 is very demanding and crowded. Leaving on a Saturday should be better than a business day though. Sunday morning early would be your best bet IMO.

One option is to go down the Delmarva Eastern Shore and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (toll and propane must be off -- double check their regs. too). Much more relaxing and scenic than 95. You end up in Virginia in the country once you clear the Newport News and Virginia Beach area.

Another option is to go west on I-78 to Harrisburg PA and take a left on I-81 south through the Shenandoah Valley which is very relaxing and scenic, with many many campgrounds available nearby, in the foothills of The Applachians.

[edit -- deleted VA CG ideas, looks like they are closed for the winter]

With the weather still so mild in the East, your options will be open-ended IMO, as there should be no rush to get south of the frost/freeze line.

What line is that?

In SW Virginia you can leave 81 to head south on I-77 and I-26 to re-connect with I-95 in South Carolina. This route may be a bit longer, but it is much more scenic and relaxing, with better roads IMO.

Good luck and have fun!

Peter
Eastern shore/Cape may lewes ferry and Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel looks like a nice trip (propane looks to be ok per their site). Does anyone know if that route is open?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
It is always open. We prefer it.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Personally I would go south on I-95 or the NJ Turnpike to Philadelphia and Wilmington, then go south on 13 to the bridge/tunnel, and skip the Cape May Lewes ferry, both for cost and time. If any portion of this route was not open, it would be in the news IMO. Propane must be off in the bridge/tunnel.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto;

Q: do I go 495 west or east (left or right side of DC when looking at the map) ?

Maryland websites says propane ok if you have 10lbs or less per cylinder? Up to 10 cylinders?
I would go east side of DC. You miss the 270 as well as the interchange around Tyson's Corner and Route 66. It is a lot of commuter traffic. Not saying East is uninhabited...

Since they redid the Springfield exit, it is fairly easy; just keep left after crossing the Woodrow Wilson (Potomac River) bridge to head down I-95 to Richmond.

Trivia: The VA DOT destroyed all the houses on the street I lived on (Bison Street) in Springfield to build the new Springfield Interchange.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If planning a stop near Savannah, we like Skidaway Island State Park. It is a ways off of 95 but has well spaced sites in a hammock, some with sewer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I have travel the eastern shore via the Cape May-Lewes ferry four times this summer and fall and it was a much more enjoyable ride than 95. It does not really take much more time, the ferry is a nice break from driving and the kids will think it is cool! I am doing a similar trip as you, going to West Palm Beach on the 26th and will definitely NOT be driving thru Phiilly or DC! I hate sitting in traffic but even worse is a rough ride for my rig. Safe travels!

"Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare".
🌎
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If planning a stop near Savannah, we like Skidaway Island State Park. It is a ways off of 95 but has well spaced sites in a hammock, some with sewer.

Al

Yep, that is where we are staying on our trip south!

"Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare".
🌎
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
NJ to FL

If you need to spend the night around Brunswick, GA there is a nice campground with full hookups with easy on and off to 95. It is Coastal Georgia RV Resort.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/ca...cgid=290001035
Very new and very clean with some of the nicest bathrooms ever. There is also a nice TA truck stop conveniently located at the exit to the campground.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

To me it's a trade off

I like the 78 W to 81 S route…no tolls except a few bucks leaving Jersey, very scenic, less exits to watch for,no restrictions to deal with, but it's hilly, and maybe a bit longer.

95 S, is flatter. Less fluctuations with the speed of the the big trucks
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:29 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
When there's propane restrictions, what do you do with the tanks? Place them in the trailer or travel without them?

I would think placing them inside the trailer would be more dangerous than leaving them mounted on the trailer.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:41 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
OTRA: when you say propane off, do you mean turned off, or physically off of the trailer? Sorry I'm dense