Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
what's the weather like there in June/July/Aug...we gotta get out of this heat next year!

Very unpredictable (literally), but not likely to be hot.

In early Sept 2007, we left Seattle with a week to get home to Colorado. The weather on the Oregon coast was clear and highs near 80 and predicted to be that way for several days. We arrived at Fort Stevens in mid afternoon and beautiful weather. Luckily we decided to unload the bikes and enjoy the afternoon. We pedaled around for a few hours and settled in for the evening expecting to get some time on the beach the next day.

During the night we heard the dreaded sound of rain on the roof. When we got up it was cool and rainy, and forecast to be so for the next few days. I checked the weather in the Willamette Valley and it was forecast to be nice for the next few days. We packed up, headed over the Coast Range, and found a nice RV park near Eugene. The weather was near 80 once again and very pleasant. We awoke the next morning and were shocked to find the visibility about 1/4 mile and drizzle. OK, we thought, "there are two more mountain ranges to cross between here and home" so we went over the Cascades to La Pine State Park just south of Bend. There we once again found beautiful weather and it stayed that way while we enjoyed ourselves biking, hiking and sight seeing until we had to leave for home.

In Washington and Oregon, you can usually head east and find nicer weather.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sea Perch looks like a very nice place and it apparently costs $65/night.

Unless I'm missing something, Cal. 1 does not get to the Oregon border as it sounded like in a previous post. 101 pretty much follows the most northern coast except for one area west of Humboldt Redwoods State Park that contains the small town of Petrola. We've been there and it's nice, sparsely populated and not easy to get to. The roads are narrow and winding. If I remember correctly most of them are dirt. One access is from Ferndale, a town known for Victoriana.

Cal. 1 starts at Leggett where it junctions with 101 (101 stays inland) and crosses the Coast Range. It's slow, winding, and has some steep grades. A lot of logging trucks use it. If they can do it, towing an Airstream is certainly possible and we did it. There's a highway from the east to Ft. Bragg and some people use that to avoid the most northern part of 1. When 1 reaches the coast it is called the Shoreline Hwy and goes to Ft. Bragg, Mendocino, Gualala (it's the Coast Hwy for a short distance there), Sea Ranch, Jenner, Bodega Bay (1 goes inland just south and then returns near Pt. Reyes), then is called the Shoreline Hwy again, Olema (there's a nice CG right to the west of the highway at Olema and if you stay there, you will be camped on the San Andreas Fault). If you go south from Olema, you will get to the most challenging part as I recall it. Cal. 1 goes along the coast to Muir Beach and then east across hills to 101 near Marin City. There are other roads to Olema which may be less challenging.

It's a great drive and as I previously wrote, not for everyone. A lot of straightaways along the ocean, some difficult sections that aren't all that long, but seem it. You have to go slow or slower, but the road is wide enough, though not up to interstate standards. To us, the payoff is worth it, to others it is not. Parts are not too different from the highway around Big Sur, one that some don't ever want to drive again either. But 1 in northern Cal. has more long stretches along the ocean beaches.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our weather experiences on the coast range from rain everyday, always cloudy, to clear and sunny. There doesn't seem to be much in between. It's not usually hot, but it can be. Some months are rainier than others and I'd advise checking on the internet for more info along the various parts of the coast for each month. Ken's right—the further east you go, the less chance of rain, and eventually you may end up in the Oregon desert in the southeast part of the state, more like Nevada and quite close to it.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Oregon State parks are the best on the west coast IMO. They are well maintained and in beautiful locations. They can be very busy though and it's not unheard of for there to be no vacancies. I like southbeach park (just south of newport) and would go there instead of beverly beach given the choice. Bandon is also nice further south.

Forums member campcollector is an OR park ranger on the coast and you might message him for specific recommendations.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
2005 28' International CCD
Oregon here we come

this is a great we are in the process of heading in that direction...We are currently in North Dakota heading thru Montana next, to Glacier Park and then Idaho and thru Washington to the LYH (Land Yacht Harbor) at Olympia for a Labor day stay with friends.

Then we will make our way down the 101 from North of Olympia to as far south as it goes, i suppose.

all of this on the trek to the balloon festival in NM on Oct 1
and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2005 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Nehalem Bay and Fort Stevens have modern facilities and beautiful ocean beaches.

Fort Stevens is a huge park with miles of beach, bike trails and a museum.

This photo is from Fort Stevens. It's the walk to the ocean from the campground to watch the sunset.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	108040  
jtnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
reservations needed on the oregon coast

NOTICE: when the weather is hot in the oregon valley--every single nice campground is usually completely full on the weekend. don't expect to pull up and find a spot--i was just out at cape lookout for a night and it took me some time to find a place for two more nights elsewhere. be sure to get on the "oregon state parks" website and reserve a place 4 or 6 months in advance so you're not disappointed. with the internet now--stuff get's filled up very fast. and note--becasue of the sometime wicked winds on the coast--the sites closest to the water are not always the best ones. Somtimes it's nice to have a little more cover 10-15 spaces in. it's sometimes blowing 20-30 mph all day on the coast in the summer-- higher in the winter. cannon beach seems to the most protected. and nehalem bay--does have a nice access to manzanita--a nicer beach town than most--and cannon beach is drivable. hope that helps--i live just 45 miles from the oregon coast. it's a beautifu l place! cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
Aluminum in 3-D
1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We just got back from a Oregon Unit Rally at Nehalem Bay State Park, our Seafood festival Rally. Nehalem bay is my favorite on the North coast. Remember, you can just hook up your trailer for the day and spend it at a drop dead beautiful wayside next to the beach and after the sun sets take it back to the campsite for the night to recharge the batteries. We've done that.
Past President Oregon unit WBCCI
This isn't your grandmothers WBCCI

Air Forum#17236

Check out the Oregon WBCCI Club and Airstream Living Oregon unit 090 on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
Saltspring , British Columbia
Jeez, it looks just like my back yard! . . . azzzzif. Looks like a keeper. nice pic.
cafediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Ansel Adams, Famous outdoor photographer, said the Oregon Coast was the most beautiful coast in all of the world. He was a main photog for Life magazine for twenty years or more, he should know eh????
Favorite Bumper sticker:
Yes, this is my truck...
No, I won't help you move....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
We also love Nehalem Bay State Park! You can hear the ocean from the campground, but there are dunes that protect you from some of the wind. It's a nice walk to the beach, and is beautiful regardless of the weather. Do be prepared, though; temperatures can range from the 50's to the 70's, with the high 50's/low 60's and rain being more likely.

We were introduced to Ft. Stevens State Park at our first Airstream Rally earlier this year, and have been back several times. It's now on our list of favorites! As mentioned earlier, it isn't right on the beach, but you can get to it easily. There's an old shipwreck that's fun to see, and several historical sites nearby.

We're going to Beverly Beach soon; the beach is further away from the campground but we enjoy searching for fossils that have eroded out of the cliffs and fallen to the beach below.

Heading inland a bit you'll find Detroit Lake State Park east of Salem - what a beautiful area! Just be sure to find a spot away from the highway. Our site this past weekend backed up to the road, and the noise made it hard to carry on a conversation. There are a couple of swimming areas, and the weather couldn't have been better - sunny and 80 degrees. The weekends are already booked, but there are some spots available during the week.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
Saltspring , British Columbia
Thanks for this - its a contest between Ft Stevens and Nehalem Bay - and I think I better get on the stick and make a decision, or it will be the parking lot at the local WalMar!
cafediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
2005 28' International CCD
tell me about the 101 from olympia---south

just arrived in the COE camp at THe Fort Peck Dam...great place...

will be winding our way to Olympia , Wa and then a trek down the 101 and will only have from near the end of Aug to the beginning of the last week in Sept to traverse....must be at the balloon festival Oct 1..

.so should i just plan to end the trip at the golden gate bridge and then head east or what routes would be the most scenic and not hazzardous as to mountain exposure.... and yet maximize the trip from olympia downward???plan to stay in state parks so i need to make plans ahead of time

and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We've been down and up 101 hundreds of times and love it. Everyone is right about it being busy, but plenty of room, especially with reservations. We've stayed at KOA along the line to get their good showers, laundry and wi-fi. Unless San Francisco is really on your list, I'd avoid it, traffic is a mess. Instead, we cut over the hill south of Willits, CA and take a very scenic,easy cruise over State 20 to Williams. Down I-5, through Sacramento (go through in the early morning). Cut off I-5 at Los Banos, go east. There is a good AS dealer in that neck of the woods should you need service. Colonel Allensworth SP is a good stop-over off 99. Go east from Bakersfield on 58 over the Tehachapi pass and eventually you'll hit I-40 around Barstow. Happy travels!

"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote

california, oregon