Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Solo female traveler North

Seriously considering a road trip to Alaska this summer. The concern is that I’m a solo streamer and haven’t ventured that far north. I’ve got an opportunity to hook up with a small caravan heading to AK but it will be hit and miss hookups as I’m slow going with a limit of 3-4 hours driving per day.

To those in the know, what should I take to prepare for this northern trip: supplies? Typically when I travel it’s on the fly, taking each day as it comes, snagging camp spots if available. Otherwise I’m fine with CB or WM stop-gaps.

Also I’ve been considering sharing the ride with one of my dogs - Staffie, but some areas seem hostile to his big beautiful breed and although he’s sweet as pie, there are those that would wish him on his way before we started our journey. If anyone has travelled through Canada and AK with a dog on the BSL list, did you run into any issues?

All relative input to my prospective trip would be welcomed.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Best wishes for your trip!

If you're driving only 3-4 hours per day, your trip will take you a long time and probably be more expensive, as it's that many more days for meals and RV or public parks for camping. Once you get into really rural areas, there are no Walmarts. You might want to check where they are actually located on your route.

There are several older threads on travel through the Canadian border that might be helpful. For one thing, bring your dog's rabies certificate. The border agents don't often ask to see it, but you should have it as they can ask for it.

RV parks sometimes don't allow breeds with a reputation for aggressiveness.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
I’ll check out your suggestion on border crossing. Thank you for taking the time to share thoughts.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
Taking a dog has not been a big deal for us. We have taken our dogs many times by boat, plane and RV. Have a current rabies certificate. Technically the US can require a health certificate from a vet. but we have never been asked and stopped getting them over a decade ago. if you happen to be told to get one any vet can issue one so you can see a vet in canada. depending on your route, Canada has lots of parking at lakes. their ministry of forests do a great job setting up clean and level camp sights. I used to fly fish up there a lot. many did not have a fee but that may have changed. you can take the coastal route if it is summer time and have some great views and sea food. or you can go up the main highway north of the lynden/sumas area and stop at places like 100 mile house, 150 mile house etc. as to provisions, when we are on the road we have a fully stocked freezer. we have a french press for coffee so we do not have to use power if we are boondocked. be sure to grind your coffee ahead of time! and a few things for lunch and dinner where we only need the cook top. soup is good, chili rice, pasta. we will cook up chicken or steak or ham to have good food for sandwiches. alcohol is expensive in CA so hit a duty free shop when you cross if you like a cocktail or glass of wine. they will be able to tell you the limits. remember no guns unless you have a special import permit. if you are going to alaska a shot gun and bear spray are a good idea. you can get a transport permit from canada to bring a shot gun. fuel can be twice the price as the US so it is worth doing some research on your stops. there is lots to do in Whistler in the summer if you want to stop over for a few days. the lions gate bridge is now a toll bridge. they claim there is a way to avoid the toll but we have not been able to find it. they will send you a bill and not be nice about it. but there is no point in paying the costs to sign up to just pass through.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Thank you for the heads up and suggestions. I’m a seasoned traveler, but my long miles are usually without my dogs. Walter, my Pitbull has encountered a bit of negativity here in the U.S and I’ve been warned that parts of CA would see the same. I’d prefer to take him but don’t want to be forced to move along faster than my pace due to the ignorance of BSLs.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Arlington , Washington
Best travel tip for single women.

Go to a thrift store and buy a pair of mens size 16+ tennis shoes you can park outside your trailer door. Also, mosquito repellent, in some places they are unbearable. I travel with my labs and found some places have a lot of big dogs, but never had an issue. Also, pay attention to "Dip in Road" signs as the occasional ones are very big - caused by perma-frost. People are friendly, but repairs, food and gas are very expensive. Good luck.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Joanna, you seem like a responsible pit bull owner. Sadly, some owners are not, so the "ignorance of BSLs" is not entirely without experience of pit pulls that attacked people or other dogs.

http://time.com/5292393/pennsylvania-pit-bull-attack/

https://www.city-journal.org/html/sc...-be-11995.html

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-new...gs-in-millrise
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Solo female traveler North

Dollars to donuts you can bet for each pit bull attack there stood an irresponsible owner. Any dog can be fashioned into a weapon. Akin to gun control legislation which is at its core counterproductive to overall safety. To be frank, I’d prefer having a ban on those folks waggin’ the weapon. We live in a cruel world where fear paints over good sense.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Joanna,
Just discovered your thread and wondered if you took your trip? If so, did Walter get to go?

Lisa
Lisarhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Border crossing was no problem for our friends traveling with their dog. Shot record may be needed. Some asked if there was a pet but did not ask for records.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote