Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Santa Fe NM?

Howdy folks,

Anyone have any experience in nice campgrounds in Santa Fe NM? I figure I'll head there early this week and stop at Palo Duro Canyon State Park (TX) on the way back.

No familiar with NM at all, and campingfriend.com / reserveamerica has tons of sites I dont know where to decide!

Need some recomendations please!

Thanks

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Howdy folks,

Anyone have any experience in nice campgrounds in Santa Fe NM? I figure I'll head there early this week and stop at Palo Duro Canyon State Park (TX) on the way back.

No familiar with NM at all, and campingfriend.com / reserveamerica has tons of sites I dont know where to decide!

Need some recomendations please!

Thanks

Kevin
As close as we live and as many times as we've been to Santa Fe we have never camped there. The town it'self is a neat place to visit especially if you enjoy historical places and art. If you can't find a place there you're only 45 miles,30 minutes from a KOA on the north side of Albq. ---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Kevin, we stayed at Palo Duro last summer and enjoyed it. It's unique. I'd also recommend going to the play "Texas" that they offer. Don't know any Santa Fe campgrounds but we plan to go to Cloudcroft this August and try the Natl forest there. That'll be my excuse to buy a generator.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We stayed at a very pleasant campground just shy North of Santa Fe last year, on our way home from the VAC Rally in Colorado Springs. It was a 5min drive into town, and the place was quite well organized, with good hookups and clean sites. Gravel, but nevertheless clean. There was a pool and movie theater also.
I can't get to the information right now to look it up, but of you PM me I will do so on Monday.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kevin, there's quite a bit available around Santa Fe, way too much to list here! Do you want to be directly in town, or do you mean the general Santa Fe area (e.g., within 30 miles)? And do you want a public or private campground?

Lynn
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Greetings!

We live in Santa Fe. It's getting hot here now (in the low 90's today) so I would want some shade. BTW, the weather is beautiful! Dry, sunny, and TERRIFIC!!!

The NM Chapter had a rally at Santa Fe Skies RV Park (505) 473-5946 last year but I did not attend... It's wide open space. Little protection from the sun.

There is a KOA (505) 466-1419 on Old Las Vegas Highway maybe 8 miles out but, frankly, I would not stay there as it is too close to the highway (I-25). One thing I don't like is freeway noise.

Here's what I would consider the best solution for you. Lifeway Glorieta just finished installing (last week) about 10 - 15 pull-through RV sites next to the Santa Fe National Forest trailhead. It is in a heavily wooded area with a stream running right next to the camping slots.

Glorieta is about 15 miles outside of Santa Fe off of I-25. My wife and I hike there several times a week with our pooches and even camped there last year after our house sold and we were waiting for our replacement. It is wonderful and cost $22 a night last fall for a full hookup. Lifeway is a Baptist Christian organization but they've never bothered us heathens and there is no requirement to be a party to their religious philosophies. They are very kind people and we've gotten to know a bunch of the folks that volunteer there. Glorieta is like a town, actually, with propane, gasoline, sundry items, restaurants, etc. The back campground is by far the best (there are two - avoid the one next to Western Town if possible). Highly recommended. Glorieta Reservations: 800-797-4222

Let us know if and where you decide and we can try to link up or at least say "Howdy".

Here's a pic of yours truly hiking at Glorieta two weeks ago...
Attached Images

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Here's a couple more pics from Glorieta. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Greetings!
We live in Santa Fe. It's getting hot here now (in the low 90's today) so I would want some shade. BTW, the weather is beautiful! Dry, sunny, and TERRIFIC!!!
Yes, we've learned HOT here in Angel Fire (a short two weeks after our last snowfall): It got close to 80 degrees yesterday! I managed, wisely, to fail to put on sun protection, and now I look like a beet.

Back to Santa Fe, you can find listings for all of the campgrounds in New Mexico, both public and private, at the NM Assn of RV Parks and Campgrounds. I'll put in a link below.

You might also consider some of the campgrounds up in the Jemez area, to the NW of Santa Fe. The area also includes Los Alamos and Bandalier National Monument. It's one of my most favorite areas!

Lynn

Oh, the links:

NM Assn of RV Parks and Campgrounds

Printable listings, NM's public and private parks and campgrounds for your rig
Old 05-21-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Exclamation

www.santafe.org
You can order your free visitor's guide there.
I got mine in the mail today. Very good listing of things to do and also campgrounds in the area on page 90.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Los Campos de Santa Fe

Two winters ago we stayed at Los Campos de Santa Fe. Not exactly scenic, since it's on a major city street, but it was clean, the service was friendly, and they had nice private facilities and laundry. We liked it because it was fairly close to downtown and such. Not too far from the ski slopes at the time, either. Here's a link to their site.

We'd use them again, personally, since it's little more than a place to sleep while we go sightseeing.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

There are two major streets in Santa Fe; Cerrillos Road and St Francis. The cities busiest intersection is where they cross and there is an almost constant assembly of war/Bush/government protesters picketing the intersection asking you to "honk" your support.

Los Campos is on Cerrillos Road 4.5 miles south of the plaza (downtown). If you don't mind the traffic (heavy by Santa Fe standards) it might work for you.

One thing I realized after doing 4,000 miles in the Western states last fall is that people don't seem to mind people that much anymore. When we camp we seek out solitude and wilderness but that's just "us" (we're boondockers). I'm one of those that could never camp at a Wal-Mart (much less shop there).
Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Too late for your May 21 trip but we stayed at Trailer Ranch on Cerrilos Rd in early May. Nice park and only 10 minutes from the Plaza. A bus stop right in front of the park if you don't want to drive downtown.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We've been to Santa Fe several times and usually camp at Cochiti Lake which is about 20 miles south of Santa Fe. The campground is located on the west side of the lake near the dam. They have lots of sites, decent views, and almost no road noise. Plus, it is cool enough at night to not require air conditioning.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Well, on Xray's recommendation my wife and I have made a reservation to stay at Glorieta starting 6/11/05 through 6/18. Kathy in reservations was very helpful. Appears there is a lake with canoes that is included in the nightly fee, and it was only $102 for 7 nights. Nice deal given the cost of other campgrounds in the SF area. I'll post later after we stay there awhile to let you know what we think! Kathy also referred us to her aunt, who works for American Title, as my wife and I are looking for a place to live near the mtns, streams, skiing, etc. and we'd like to find a good real estate agent to help us out. The people at Glorieta seem very nice! It wasn't listed in Woodall's. We checked all the Woodall's campgrounds out but like Glorieta most!

- Mike & Angela and our dog Kenzie.
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
Well, on Xray's recommendation my wife and I have made a reservation to stay at Glori... (snip)
- Mike & Angela and our dog Kenzie.
Mike and Angela, could you tell me the name of the campground in Glorieta? I've been trying to find it, but came up dry!

Lynn
Old 06-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Mike and Angela,

Glorieta is very Colorado-like with tall pines, views, etc. I'm sure you will have a very enjoyable stay. Be sure and request the back campground (versus Western Town) as it is very quiet and sits next to the National Forest trailhead and a little mountain stream (hopefully it will still be running). I walked through the campground the other day - it is only a few weeks old, and it is nice. Choose your site carefully as some of the new ones are a little sterile but incredibly clean with full hookups. All are in the forest in a beautiful valley along the stream.

If you are interested in Santa Fe real estate, I have a great realtor referral (send me a private message). Coming from Concord, I have an idea of what your expectations might be... Santa Fe is charming but you need to know where to look.

Also, bring your fly rods as you will be within a few miles of the Pecos River. Fishing can be very good over there.

We'd love to meet you guys if you're up for that. Send me a message and I'll forward our contact info.

Have a safe trip!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Lynn,

Look up Glorieta here.

Reservations are at:
800-797-4222

Best regards,