Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #155
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Well of course the claim is false, but was the claim made?
Yes, on their webpage, which says…
Quote:
So what you have with Hensley Mfg. is the latest technology in a pivot point projection hitch along with a perfect 20 year safety record.
You can read the context here:Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Like I said, the claim is not defensible.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #157
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-aka-Poppy View Post
As a relatively new Streamer, what do you more experienced folks want me to learn from this discussion?
I can't speak for everyone, but my take-away from this discussion on hitches is:
1 - No system is perfect, but some are better than others; and the one that's better in one application may not be better in ALL applications.
2 - Do your research before buying, to find the one that's best for YOUR application.
3 - Listening to a sales pitch is NOT the same as doing research. The average salesman just wants to sell you a hitch, and has no particular interest in making sure you get the right one.
4 - Even after you buy your system, follow the proper procedures for using it. Even the best system can be defeated by a careless user who doesn't adjust it properly.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
OK, on the one side we have demonstrative proof that there have been many accidents with Hensleys installed, including the one I posted here yesterday. That one clearly fishtailed. On the other side, this is what Hensley says on their website about the possibility of that happening:

"What does the Arrow® do? It eliminates any possibility of trailer sway. That’s not a misprint or an exaggeration. It is physically impossible for a travel trailer to sway, fishtail, or jackknife when outfitted with the Hensley Arrow®."

So I think we can logically conclude that what Hensley asserts in their marketing as pertains to fishtailing is false. Which does damage their credibility in my view. Doesn't mean they don't have a superior technology, but claims like that can create a false sense of invulnerability on the part of drivers, which can add a measure of danger back into the equation.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Safety: Learning from Incidents, Accidents & Crashes

The truck and trailer apparently DID jackknife, but my review of the link did not provide the details of what led to the accident.

Did sway cause this accident, or was the camper cut off in traffic, was the driver on the phone, or what?

Back in the early 70s the man my mom worked for had a son who burned to death in his car after an accident. The first citizen responders lost him because they could not get him out of his seat belt.

Does this mean that seat belts are bad?

If I claim that I can make a faster stop without antilock brakes, does this make anti lock brakes bad?

In any case, my defense of Hensley is that it makes my truck and trailer drive much, much , better , and of a totally different character than it did without it. It drives SO different that I believe it impossible that conventional sway devices and WD could ever duplicate.

Am I wrong to declare this belief?

FWIW, they should not include the vague remark "a perfect safety record".

A bathtub does not, and can not have a perfect safety record.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Over stated claims about a product turns me off. It makes me question the basic integrity of the company making the claims. I notice that ProPride appears to be less boisterous in their claims.

I'm seriously evaluating buying one of the off-the-ball hitches, primarily the ProPride. It's a significant expense but I'm willing to pay it if it does indeed add a significant margin of safety to my towing. But the Hensley hyperbole is off-putting.

John
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #161
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Buy something for what it does, not for what it claims to be. Lots of really good products go overboard on advertising, sometimes unnecessarily. And lots of shoddy products use hype to make a buck. Do your research, use your head, and then decide. Jim
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #162
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Yes, on their webpage, which says…You can read the context here:Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed
The sad thing is that some forum members who use Hensley/ProPride repeat this (inaccurate) sales/advertisement pitch, in every hitch thread, as if its a proven fact.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Buy something for what it does, not for what it claims to be. Lots of really good products go overboard on advertising, sometimes unnecessarily. And lots of shoddy products use hype to make a buck. Do your research, use your head, and then decide. Jim
That's what I'm trying to do here, Jim. Trying to boil the essence out of the mythic brew.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #164
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona

Well the only thing I have learned from this thread is we still like to argue about hitches. The pictures and videos displayed in the posts only serve to prove that sh*t can and does happen. The last photo shows a dented trailer and TV off the road and everyone assumes it was caused by trailer sway with a Hensley. Perhaps the guy fell asleep and ran off the road causing the truck to jackknife. Who knows?

Anyway it's much less stressful rubbernecking on the web than it is on the road.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Nope, that's too cynical for me - I'm going to defend my thread and those who have generously contributed to it as I have learned a lot here (admittedly maybe starting from a low point on the curve):
  • Off-the-ball hitches, while perhaps not reaching claims made by their marketing departments, appear to be a superior technology to on-the-ball hitches due the their moving the pivot point substantially forward.

• OTB hitches don't make you bullet-proof. Sh*t still happens and stupid is as stupid does.

• Don't get cocky and increase your speed just because your setup feels solid.

• A majority of accidents are caused by improper setup.

• Sways can often be handled if you keep your head and use the correct response that you have previously practiced, i.e. brake the trailer, not the TV.

• Airstream accidents are not a frequent occurrence, but they aren't rare either.

There's more, those are the high-points. Sure there's a lot of noise in the thread, but there's also a lot of signal if you're willing to sift through it.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Concerning PP/HA, there are two possibilities...

A. The hitches make their users trailers tow much better than their prior setups.

B. 90%+++ of these users who are vocal about their purchase are either delusional, extreme exaggerators, or liars.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
J...

There is no question that towing with a HA/PP hitch "feels" better to those using them. No question at all. At least based on what I've read here, that appears to be almost unanimous reaction. The question is: Are they better, i.e. safer - do folks towing with them have a lower incident rate per 1,000 miles driven than non-HA/PP hitches?

Cheers,
John

P.S. There have thousands of posts here on the relative pluses and minuses of various hitches and hitch technology and I'm skeptical of being able to shed more light on the topic - a lot of heat definitely, but not much light. As the OP of this thread I'm going to try and steer things away from it devolving into yet another hitch religious war.
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #168
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Something that has not been mentioned is that, in my view, those that put out the money for the high end Hensley / PP hitches are likely among those towers that are on the road more than the average. Of course many above average towers are using the less costly but traditional WD distributing hitches too. Either way they are in the group that travels a lot of miles. More miles = increased opportunity for a collision no matter the cause.

So whichever hitch we use drive defensively and drive to the conditions.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote