Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
No crime, assaults nor murders in those places? I hadn't heard that. Man's inhumanity to man knows no bounds no boundaries. (no I'm being flippant....a little bit).
Fewer guns. Both in the hands of the ruffians and the well-meaning.

Seriously this time: Due to my work, I've lived all over the place, in Europe and North America. Sometimes, when I was young and poor, on what I'd call the wrong side of the tracks.

Only in the US did I ever worry about guns, I know they exist in the UK, I know they exist in Canada, but there's just less of an... emphasis on them.

To this day I try and minimize my travel to places like Florida for just that reason. Paranoid? Perhaps. But like others, if I'd knew my neighbour on a campground had a gun in the trailer that would be reason enough for me to pack up and leave.

I know the statistics on gun accidents, I know what happens when people discharge a weapon when under stress and I would not wish to be nearby when that happens.

By saying this I mean no disrespect to you, nor do I question your skills or intentions.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
In reply to DKOTTUM, Doug I'm sure you have a plan to keep you and your loved ones safe. And I'm sure we all support you in whatever method you choose. Part of our plan is being comfortable knowing we all fill a different role in emergencies.

Hittenstiehl
Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

Seriously this time: Due to my work, I've lived all over the place, in Europe and North America. Sometimes, when I was young and poor, on what I'd call the wrong side of the tracks.

Only in the US did I ever worry about guns, I know they exist in the UK, I know they exist in Canada, but there's just less of an... emphasis on them.

To this day I try and minimize my travel to places like Florida for just that reason. Paranoid? Perhaps.
hmmm, I've never felt worried in Florida and hadn't heard that it is even at the top of any list on gun incidents. But I do live in the Chicago metro area and spend a lot of my time in the city. I do worry and look over my shoulder a LOT (situational awareness is my biggest defense) there. Chicago is always in the running for highest gun deaths........oh wait......it is illegal for civilians to own guns in Chicago......I forgot.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
In all my years, I've never SEEN a gun in a campground (except long guns in their "rugs" going to and from a hunting field). But I have seen fireworks, Axes, knives......... "I'm just saying......."
I have, I had a guy show me his North American Arms 22 Magnum. He thought it was unique.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
In reply to DKOTTUM, Doug I'm sure you have a plan to keep you and your loved ones safe. And I'm sure we all support you in whatever method you choose. Part of our plan is being comfortable knowing we all fill a different role in emergencies.
We have done well in 50 years of camping and traveling the world. You can support us best by not filling a protective role in our "emergencies", of which we have never had.

doug
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I too think that situational awareness is the best defence. Go through life with your eyes open and if something looks fishy, that's most likely because it is.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

To this day I try and minimize my travel to places like Florida for just that reason. Paranoid? Perhaps. But like others, if I'd knew my neighbour on a campground had a gun in the trailer that would be reason enough for me to pack up and leave.

I know the statistics on gun accidents, I know what happens when people discharge a weapon when under stress and I would not wish to be nearby when that happens.

By saying this I mean no disrespect to you, nor do I question your skills or intentions.
I git ya. I think the only reason there is such "an emphasis on them" is that we are living in a time of extraordinary examination of our Constitutional right(s). It's a bigger issue than just the 2nd amendment (the right to keep and bear arms), but guns and violence is a much more effective lightning rod for those who wish to impinge upon the Bill of Rights (all, or many of them). So, to many, we just look like a bunch of folks "clinging to our guns and religion". That isn't what it is about at all. At least for all the folk I hang around with.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I too think that situational awareness is the best defence. Go through life with your eyes open and if something looks fishy, that's most likely because it is.
Absolutely. As I stated upthread, My final end game plan calls for a retreat to (or asleep in) my bedroom, where I have nowhere to go and nobody to help. If you take your gun "out of your castle" and use it, a lot can go wrong....later in particular with the mind bending number of different State and local laws. The Castle defense has a good chance of standing up to scrutiny.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Doug it sounds like we actually have the same plan. Good experiences in great places. We too have almost that many years of of travel and camping without any major emergencies. And looking forward to many more. But if there there's a bear in camp I will likely come tap quietly and very politely on your door. (Tongue in cheek, )

Hittenstiehl
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I think my paranoia about guns has to do with the fact that I am used to them - I know what they can do. I mentioned before that I grew up on a farm where hunting was part of life. Granddad used to go after the boar that dug the sugar beets, and that my wife used to be a target shooter.

I don't think I've ever met anybody more paranoid about gun safety than her. To this day, she can take a fly off a branch at a hundred paces (I might be bragging a little here, but she really is good) and she still would never assume she'd be able to hit an intruder in a panicked situation.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #137
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Keep them guessing.....

......A Hippy Jarhead should do it.

I often wondered why my hunting boots and USMC Field Jacket were sometimes just outside the AS door after returning from a day of fishing...."a little added security", said she.

And oh BTW....don't read anything into my SH signature, I'm a Republicrat, not a BHL.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I think my paranoia about guns has to do with the fact that I am used to them - I know what they can do. I mentioned before that I grew up on a farm where hunting was part of life. Granddad used to go after the boar that dug the sugar beets, and that my wife used to be a target shooter.

I don't think I've ever met anybody more paranoid about gun safety than her. To this day, she can take a fly off a branch at a hundred paces (I might be bragging a little here, but she really is good) and she still would never assume she'd be able to hit an intruder in a panicked situation.
Boy, I don't assume that either, but if they are in my bedroom, and deemed a real threat, what's the alternative? They can have whatever I own....I have insurance for that...But if they approach in close quarters, they got something else in mind.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Bob, for your service....and the privilege to be able to be a "wimp" (see posts up thread), but I would never dishonor you and your brethren by putting a sticker impersonating a Marine or any other guardian of the peace.

PS, would you come stay at the house and trailer, so I can lose my defense plan, gun and be safe at all times......just in case.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I to have been trained in fire arms plus I was instructor in U.S. Army, I feel as dznf0g does that I would not hesitate to put 3 quick ones in body mass only if no other alternative available, as not seeing hand guns in campgrounds or campers because people are very careful of not being a show off and not causing trouble, I know of many people that have hand guns in campers, me included. We do not flaunt the fact we have them on board. ----------------------- Bill