Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #21
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well, I made it just pased the Colorado border and oh boy is it hot and windy again but I'm just sticking it out this time because the BLM land I'm on is just too beautiful to abandon. I am lucky to have these fantastic fan cover that let me open the roof vents in high wind. If I face the trailer correctly and open the vents-- assuming the wind don't change courses at random-- my fans become wind powered.

I do appreciate these reponses, feel free to keep em comin! Also, what are y'alls experience with these windows. I'm used to having slide to the side windows (came from a casita) that I never had to worry about in wind, and I could even slide the Casita screen window open if I was worried about the wind pushing it too hard. But these flip up windows seem like they'd blow right off in wind... It's nice for rain but terrible for wind-- opposite of the Casita windows. Anyways, are they stronger than they seem? Can I open them in strong gusts? Also what about the main door? Seems like the screen door is very strong and keeping the front door open would be safe in strong wind, but I don't wanna assume.

Thank you. This forum is very helpful.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Western Kansas wind left me with two memories.
1. Having my awning unfurl on it's own while driving on I-70.
2. Using the bathroom, looking up, and discovering the vent hatch was GONE! Luckily, it didn't rain for a few days and it gave me a chance to find a replacement.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #23
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Western Kansas wind left me with two memories.
1. Having my awning unfurl on it's own while driving on I-70.
2. Using the bathroom, looking up, and discovering the vent hatch was GONE! Luckily, it didn't rain for a few days and it gave me a chance to find a replacement.
Wow! Scary stuff. I had winds break that same bathroom vent fan on my previous trailer, they aren't very strong. The fantastic vent covers are very stong, however. I have a little latch that is supposed to secure the curb side awning and has so far. Street side is electric and they say if it's off it won't unfurl. Who knows?

On the upside even though it's 97 with 50mph gusts... My solar is blazing out here. Many, many amps.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
We are currently (Saturday) vendors in Salina KS at an outdoor 3 day craft show/festival and the wind is brutal along with the 95 degree heat. It is an outdoor show so we have no choice but to grin and bear it, but it is a constant assault on your senses. We return home to the Airstream in the evening and it is an oven, but thankfully it only takes it about 15 min to cool off w/ 30 amp at our campground. The people who live here don't seem terribly bothered by it, but we are from a dryer, cooler climate and are a little bit soft if you know what I mean. I think this wind is pretty widespread and predicted to last at least a couple more days. Safe travels to you as you navigate your way home.
Mellinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Forecast

Grand Junction - 19/20 mph going to 27 on Mon and dropping to 12 on Wed
Durango CO - 6/12 mph going to 22 on Mon and dropping to 10/12 Wed
Pueblo CO - 10/11 mph going to 20 on Mon and dropping to 13 on Wed
Salina Kansas - 24 mph going to 23 on Tuesday and dropping to 16/12 on Wed
Wichita Kansas - 20 mph going to 25 on Mon and dropping to 15/18 on Wed

Looks like the wind is slowing as the week progresses, but plan on sitting Mon/Tues if the weather gets more than just cloudy.

Good Luck - Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:14 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
From Travlinman: "Are there better apps than Google and AccuWeather to help me get oit of this? I tried to plan correctly, but what the weather says is very different from what I'm experiencing."

I find that the Dark Sky weather app is very accurate and gives up to the minute notifications for weather events. It uses the NOAA weather stations and provides hourly weather for the next seven days. I have IOS, not sure if it is also Android.
Safe travel,
Steve
Old 06-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Please help me escape this wind.

The old gag is they the only thing that can slow the wind in the west is a barbed wire fence, and it's down...

We are a bit east of Los Angeles, dealing with 40 mph winds predicted for the next few days. Apple Valley area, off US 395.

Sadly, not unusual this time of year. Here, our "wind festival" runs fromJanuary 1 to December 31. You get used to it eventually...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As you head across Kansas, don't forget to stop at the Fick (careful with the spelling) shark tooth museum in Oakley. It's ... errr ... one of a kind

Yes, I still get "that look" from the kid each time I bring it up. I liked it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #29
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

As you head across Kansas, don't forget to stop at the Fick (careful with the spelling) shark tooth museum in Oakley. It's ... errr ... one of a kind

Yes, I still get "that look" from the kid each time I bring it up. I liked it.

Bob
Ha I will do that. Thank you, Bob, you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #30
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The old gag is they the only thing that can slow the wind in the west is a barbed wire fence, and it's down...

We are a bit east of Los Angeles, dealing with 40 mph winds predicted for the next few days. Apple Valley area, off US 395.

Sadly, not unusual this time of year. Here, our "wind festival" runs fromJanuary 1 to December 31. You get used to it eventually...
Sounds like we're a in it together. Not that bad right now. Really beautiful today actually. Take care.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Ha I will do that. Thank you, Bob, you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.
Hi

I just mentioned this to the wife. Her reaction - "you sent them there?". She suggests that the Eisenhower homestead in Abilene is a more interesting place to stop.

I still like the shark tooth museum (She also pointed out that we were *not* pulling a 25' trailer when we stopped there.)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Corsicana , Texas
I am just off highway 65 near Powderhorn Ski Resort and the Grand Mesa. I have been here for the last 2 months. The wind started on Friday and has not let up. I am running my ac and staying inside most of the time. Its better than the heat in Texas! The wind is suppose to ease some after Monday. Beautiful part of the USA!
Have a safe trip.
aoldpiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Got kites? Go for the ones that love to fly in high winds. Tough ones, similar to those that folks fly at the beach on the Pacific Coast.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If you go to Abilene, you have to visit the Eisenhower Library, the Seelye Mansion (original furnishings, linens, and china), the Brookville Hotel (a restaurant with home style fried chicken), and the Russell Stover chocolate factory (lots of low priced inventory clearance).

Not a bad town to experience some history. The fellow that owns the Seeley Mansion and gives tours is also a cook and may turn you on to the place he practices his craft.

Travel Safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #35
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm hiding from the heat here in Kingman elv 3k' awaiting my final fitting of 3 bridges in Algadones.
The city of Kingman has installed dancing street signs, the stop sign wavers and the streets (Main & 3rd) wobbles on top. This along with the trees swaying, and the dust devils sashaying across the vacant lots give this town a very kinetic vibe.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #36
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I never though of a kite. Great idea, thank you.

I will definitely stop through abilene I appreciate the suggestions, sounds like a fun place to explore. Still going to check out the shark tooth museum, Bob.

I've been to Kingman. I think it was windy when I was there too. Southwest is a windy place!

Thank you everybody.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #37
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
My gosh is it windy today here in western Colorado, the trees look like they are holdin on for dear life!

It's supposed to be real bad today and then it says it's gonna calm by midnite and stay calm for a few days. That would be a welcome relief.... we shall see.