Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, folks talk about Highway 66 almost with mysticism. Gosh, I've lived on or near the highway (pre-interstate), and it was just another highway. Maybe it's all Steinbeck's fault.

Personally, I think it's interesting to look at some of the other old and well-known highways, including US Route 64, which still extends from near the coast in North Carolina to just over the NM/AZ border at Tec Nos Pos. Or US Route 60, running from Virginia to near the border with Califoria in Arizona.

Wikipedia, Route 64
Wikipedia, Route 60

Have fun down the highway!

Lynn

PS: I just discovered that creating hyperlinks works with the "universal CNTL-K" here, too.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry to double-post, but I wasn't finished editing and the forum kicked me out. Now, I can't edit my previous post. Guess I am going to have to read the instructions...

===============

Instead of Sedona (it's real touristy and expensive), you might want to consider checking out Flagstaff. It's cooler there, too.

There's a lot to do in and near Flagstaff:

1. Grand Canyon Railway, departs from Williams, AZ. They have a campground (more like a parking lot) there, but there are several other campgrounds nearby. I think the KOA near Williams is open again (they had a fire there a few years ago and were closed for quite awhile). The railroad is a little pricey, but it's a once in a lifetime experience. Besides the ride to the Grand Canyon, there's an old west shootout, and the train gets robbed by masked horsemen on the return trip. Don't count on spending much time at the Canyon, though; they only stop off for an hour or two before returning. If you decide to camp there, make sure to check on reservations.

2. Black Bart's in Flagstaff. Food is pretty good if you like barbecue and cowboy beans, and you get lots of it; but people go there for the entertainment. Music majors from Northern Arizona University are the servers, and they sing and dance all through dinner. Lots of sing-a-long fun for the family. There's a campground and general store on-site, too; but the campground is a little worn. OK for overnight, but probably not a destination.

3. Sunset Crater has a great campground. It's really clean, with flush toilets and running water, but no showers. This would be a good base camp for exploring Flagstaff, which is only a couple of miles away. There's tours of the cinder fields near the base of Sunset Crater, which is a old volcano, and Indian ruins in the park. All spots are paved and level, with lots of room to spread out in the pines.

4. There's a KOA right in Flagstaff, too; but it's really crowded in the summer and not as enjoyable as boondocking. But they have nice showers, and it backs onto National Forest land, so there's lots of hiking trails nearby. Also, it's just a few hundred yards from shopping and restaurants. By the way, Flagstaff is on a rail line, so you'll hear trains all night just about anywhere in town, including here.

5. Route 66 has a stretch preserved right in Flagstaff. If you like diners, check out the Galaxy. I don't recall it being there before I-40 was built, but they've got authentic diner food, like giant burgers and frosty shakes. Great breakfasts, too.

6. Lots of cultural stuff, too, including: An observatory and planetarium, a couple of Indian museums, Northern Arizona University, summer outdoor concerts, etc.
On the way to Flagstaff from Albuquerque, be sure to check out the Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon, all right on I-40. There's some landmarks you'll recognize from old Route 66 photos in Gallop, NM and some of the other small towns.
If you make a big loop through northern Arizona and Utah, you can also visit Lake Powell (great beach camping at Lone Rock, but check out the sand before you drive on it), the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce.

We usually tour the Rockies every couple of years, and there's probably a lot of stuff you drive right past when leaving the state. If I can figure out how to upload a PDF file, I'll post our trip from last summer that included the "Old 100 Gold Mine", Pike's Peak, the Great Sand Dunes and more.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I could tell you of lot's of places to camp along 66....but I have forgotten most of them. I traveled the whole route 66 in 1952 when I was 14 with dad, mom and younger brother. I should try and see what is left.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1952..Neil..trailer.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	74676   Click image for larger version

Name:	1952... car & trailer.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	74677  

Name:	1952...girl in trailer park.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	74678   Click image for larger version

Name:	1952...boy on bike..trailer park.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	74679  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
You know, folks talk about Highway 66 almost with mysticism.
Have fun down the highway!

Lynn

Kinda like us with Niagara Falls....
Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie, if you go to Flagstaff, don't tow the trailer into downtown. Streets are very narrow and lots of traffic. The road system in Flagstaff always confuses me, but somehow I always get to where I'm going which is mystical.

If you want to do some great two lane blacktop trips, pick up Road Trip USA—one of them is Rt. 66, but also about 10 other such trips from border to border. It's a very popular book and I think it's in it's 4th edition.

Ten days isn't much to do everything and it's always hard to select what to do and what to see next time—making those selections never gets any easier even when you have months to travel.

A place for a side trip when in the Sedona area is the funky old mining town of Jerome. Leave the trailer at a campground (no place for it in Jerome), maybe leave the kids at a waterpark, and waste a day doing not much except walking around, looking at old buildings, etc. I'm sure some will go for recreational shopping, but that's something I avoid (but am often dragged to—look for the old guy sitting on a bench outside). I think there may be a museum.

Yes, Leadville was fun last year. We're thinking about going to a Forum rally in northern Cal. in early August, but it's kind of early to be settled on anything. One thing for sure, if you plan a rally in the Rockies in June, it'll snow and snow and snow into May.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
The section around and through Santa Fe has a few interesting little stops. But due to the tight corners and one-way streets, it's pretty much a no-tow zone. Feeds the whole 66 nostalgia thing well though.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Oak Creek Canyon does have one windy section but we had no problem pulling our 25' AS north bound through there as we left the Dead Horse Rally a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Charlie:

I would not recommend travelling Oak Creek Canyon with your trailer on. It is a narrow windy road.
Bob and Lou
Member 4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
beach camping at Lone Rock

Hey Phoenix,
Have you actually pulled in to the Lone Rock area to camp?
I have wondered about how nice a place that might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If you make a big loop through northern Arizona and Utah, you can also visit Lake Powell (great beach camping at Lone Rock, but check out the sand before you drive on it), the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The beach at lone rock is wide and shallow, great swimming beach, but no lifeguards. There will be lots of company here (other campers), but you can spread out your vehicles and get a little extra room. Pretty good toilets, but it can be a hike uphill in the sand to get to them. No water or any facilities at Lone Rock, but there are improved campgrounds at Wahweap, a few miles away. Those have hookups, but are not close to the water. At Lone Rock, you have to watch the water level. We woke up one morning and stepped out into the lake; the water had come up several feet overnight.

As far as driving on the sand, there are areas where you can see others have driven; and these are ok, most of the time. If you see vehicle tracks interrupted by wholes dug in the sand, DON'T GO THERE! It's best if you stay on the road that goes straight down to the water, then follow the shoreline as close as you can get to the water. The sand is wet underneath, and it's more solid down close to the water. However a few feet up the hill, it's like a big sandpit. If you aren't sure, send a spotter up ahead to walk where you intend to drive. It's really obvious when you get to the loose sand. On the positive side, most of the campers will help you dig out, though some of the ambitious 4WD's may ask for some cash. The others will probably help for free, because a couple of days ago they were stuck in the same place you are.

Resist the urge to lay out in the sun the first day. Put on lots of sunscreen and stay in the shade. UV goes right through most canopies, and there is lots of indirect light that you don't notice right away. You can tell how long the other campers have been there. The first day, they're white and laying out on the sand, the second and third days, they look like lobsters and are inside their trailers or all covered up under their canopies, and after that they look like they just moved here from Jamaica.

If you like boondocking with a whole lot of other people, this is a great place. Don't be there on the major holidays, because it's like camping at the zoo or Safeway parking lot. But, during the week and most normal weekends, you'll really enjoy the water and sand.

By the way, in late August and September, they have BIG monsoon storms in the afternoons. Lots of wind, lightning and blowing sand, and not much rain. If you see the sky starting to turn dark, make sure to put your canopy down and put your lawn chairs, etc., where they won't blow away. The temperature usually drops 5-10 degrees during and after these storms, so it's not all bad. In June, expect high-90's to low 100's, with clear skies. In July, it'll may get up to 105-110; but it's not as bad as you think. You'll be in the water almost all the time, and it's cool when you're wet.

You can rent boats and ski-doos at Wahweap, and they've got supplies there. Also, Page, Arizona is only a few miles away.

If you ever go there, you'll be back. Nothing like a nap in the shade with the sound of lapping waves and boat motors in the background. Also, it's a great place to sit around a fire at night; but bring your own wood. This is desert camping and there aren't any trees or shade. Oh yeah, bring a separate tarp (like the big blue ones at Costco) and some poles. You'll really appreciate the extra shade (cause'n there ain't any that you don't bring with ya).
Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
There are two more camp grounds near Albuquerque that have pools - at least if I remember....

On the west side is Enchanted Trails - an old Rt 66 trading post that was moved several hundred feet when the freeway went in.. Very vintage friendly - tell Vicki I sent you

On the east side - and I think campy... - is Hidden Valley Campground - its a very old Rt 66 campground. And just down the street from where I live - we are just off 66 too. Double check to make sure they have a pool - but if I remember, I think they do. I know Enchanted has a pool.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ah, durn, I'd forgotten that Vicki has a pool at Enchanted! American on the other side of interstate offers more ka-schmazz for owners of Big White-Sided Motorhomes (maybe for IBT members?), but Vicki's is the place for aluminum-blooded Airstreamers!

Lynn
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We'll be taking off next Thursday afternoon on our trip. I'll finish polishing the Airstream today, and have some new LEd's coming today as well that I'm interested in trying out while we dry camp.
We decided to cut off Tucumcari in order to have time to check out Carlsbad Caverns. We'll get a late start Thursday so our first planned stop is at Clines Corners for the night which is where we'll first encounter rt. 66. From their to Carlsbad to check out the park and Roswell. Then we plan a day around
Albuquerquewhere we plan on staying a night at Enchanted Trails. After this we're playing it by ear as we cross from Albuquerque to Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona where we're staying at a state park. We hope to take in the Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater along the way. Any further suggestions as to what not to miss along this route would be appreciated. Any ideas such as the best trading post, any unique historical sites ect.? Is there enough in Gallup to make it worth planning around, or is it more of a drive through?
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gallup has a lot of trading posts, but it's also kind of touristy and looks seedy. Richardson's is a big trading post on the old 66 with some nice stuff. Ortegas is the rubber tomahawk type of trading post to be avoided. Gallup seems frozen in the 1950's in some ways. Railroad noise bad all along I-40. On a quick trip, I don't think there's that much worth spending a loot of time in Gallup except to pick up on the atmosphere of the town and old 66. If you're really into Navajo and other tribe's art, like we are, Gallup is part of the tour, but it doesn't look like you have all that much time.

In Sanders, Ariz., west of Gallup, is a real trading post on the south side of I-40. I've spaced out the name, but it's something like Bruce B-something (I keep thinking Bertram, but that's not it). His family has been running trading posts for generations. It's the typical post with food in the front, over on the right, go toward the back and there's usually his wife, Virgina, in the little office, and there's rug room which also has jewelry. There's a gate to the rug room, and just ask if it's ok to go in (always is). Very nice and knowledgeable people.

At Gallup, you're not far from Window Rock, the capital of the Navajo Nation. Interesting museum and the legislative chambers are there. West from Window Rock is Ganado and Hubble Trading Post —it's a federal historic park now, but kept as it was more than a century ago. There's also a house tour of Hubble's residence behind the trading post and you'll see some spectacular Navajo rugs there; the trading post has some good old ones too. In Window Rock there's another older trading post beginning with a "B" (memory issue again, I keep thinking Bernstein, so it must be something vaguely like that) on the south side of the road. We've been to these places so many times, I just go to them and don't look at the names anymore. So there's a trip from Gallup, north and then west to Window Rock, then to Ganado, then south to I-40 at Chambers, and backtrack a few miles to Sanders to see that trading post.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
...Albuquerquewhere we plan on staying a night at Enchanted Trails. After this we're playing it by ear as we cross from Albuquerque to Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona where we're staying at a state park. We hope to take in the Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater along the way. Any further suggestions as to what not to miss along this route would be appreciated. Any ideas such as the best trading post, any unique historical sites ect.? Is there enough in Gallup to make it worth planning around, or is it more of a drive through?
Humm. A couple of lesser knowns:

Gallup is worth a trip if you are into Native American jewelry. There are various shops and galleries right on the old main street (West Highway 66) where folks sell this stuff. This is where the shopkeepers from Santa Fe and New York go to purchase the stuff that they resell for a much higher price.

A half-day's drive West of there is Winslow. We stay at Homolovi Ruins State Park just outside of town on the east side. Neat ruins, small museum, decent campground. In town, don't miss the La Posada Hotel at the train station. This is the last of the Harvey Houses. It was designed by Mary Jane Colter (same person who did so much stuff at the GC South Rim).

Lynn
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Richardson's Trading Post

Airstreamer's, Airstream Employees, and my Mother frequented Richardson's in the 50's, and 60's.

One of the better trading posts in the Southwest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6765 B-2500.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	81035  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #36
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If you want to take a short loop, head south at Grant's and stop at El Malpais National Monument (misspelled fer sher) - which is what's left of a volcano. You'll see the whole area has several lava flows, and you can follow some lava tubes and climb to the old cone.

Further West, same road, is El Morro NM. This is a sandstone headland that is famous for the grafitti carved there by explorers both ancient and just old - Spanish conqusitadores, pre-civil war names, etc.

Then you can either continue on to Zuni Pueblo, or follow the road up to Gallup and back to I-40.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As for trading posts, you can't beat the historical Hubble Trading Post just across the AZ line and north of I-40 at Ganado. It is a National Historical Site and will give you a very good picture of life and facilities back when these were working posts.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Charlie, just to tempt you, there are good sections of 66 from the middle of Arizona to Cal. You can pick it up near Seligman and take it west eventually getting to Oatman, a really strange place. Bob's picture in the upper right hand corner above is in Seligman showing the Snow Cap. It's owned by Juan Delgadillo who I understand is really nuts. Across the street to the west is the barber shop and gift shop run by Angel Delgadillo, Juan's brother. Angel is a genuinely nice guy who helped preserve the Rt. 66 atmosphere in that area and some people call the mayor of Route 66. We enjoyed meeting him several years ago. Some of the road east of Oatman seems to be very much the original route. There's a Rt. 66 museum in Kingman. Once in Cal., the Rt. 66 goes through the Mojave area, south of the Mojave National Preserve, including the Bagdad Cafe. No WMD's there. We camped at the Preserve in Nov., '07, at a nice campground with great views. Might be warmer there in June.

Of course, if you're going to Sedona, you won't see any of this. So, change your plans. Everybody goes to Sedona.

Gene

Just a note about Oatman. We went there last winter after visiting California.

We took our 30 footer into Oatman, and originally planned on carrying on further NW thru town on 66, but several shop owners sold us that there were some really tight hairpin turns and it would be more than likely we would get stuck half way around.

If that happens, and you block traffic, folks get justifiably ticked off at you!

I debated whether or not to try it but in the end thought better of it and did a bit of back tracking to continue on our route.

Oatman was fun with all the "wild" (tame really) donkeys wandering the main street.

Supposedly they are descendents of the original gold miners donkeys who were abandoned. Many of the local shops sell carrots so us tourists can amuse ourselves by feeding them!

We stopped one night at a very tidy little downtown RV park in Kingman. It was a short walk to the Route 66 Museum in Kingman.

In Seligman, Juan Delgadillo is no longer with us, but his brother Angel is still there with his barber shop.

On a previous trip thru Seligman several years ago, I was able to get both of them to sign a coffee table book about Route 66 that my wife had given me for my birthday the day before we travelled thru Seligman!

Angel was due to be interviewed by someone from the Smithsonian the dau after we met him - all to do with his having initiated the Route 66 preservation initiative in Arizona I believe.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip - I wish I could do it with my motorcycle - maybe I will one day!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Oatman, AZ Jennie with baby

Typical scene in Oatman, AZ, the older and first highway of the Mother Road, Route 66
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arizona Fall Pictures (682).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	81038  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Petrified Forest is an interesting stop, though most areas are probably going to be fairly warm this time of year. At the entrance, there is a rock shop that sells petrified wood by the pound (a bargain if you are just looking for a souvenir), and they also have some pricey, polished (tourist-type) rocks. They used to allow free overnight parking in their side parking lot, but we never checked it out. There isn't any campgrounds in Petrified Forest National Park, but it's a beautiful drive.

If you want to escape the heat, you may want to stay in Flagstaff for a day or two. There's some old Route 66 shops, etc. in town. Check out the Bonita Campground (part of Sunset Crater National Park) on the north side that heads towards Page & Lake Powell; it's barely outside of the city limits near the peak of the BIG HILL, leaving the mountain. One of the KOAs is on this road, near the MacDonalds. There are a couple of museums, etc. in town and lots of other things to do. (And, it's cool there.)

Also, there's great food and entertainment at Black Barts, where NAU music majors are singing/dancing waiters in a rustic, western-style (BBQ and other comfort food) restaurant!