Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Route Planning and Construction Zones

The AAA TripTik travel planner is now online and free to nonmembers. Go to Road, Travel, and Financial Services - AAA -- you'll only need to put in your zip code; the TripTik link is in the lower right of the subsequent webpage. At no time do you need to create an account! (although the option is presented on the screen) TripTiks let you choose a route, give you a map of that route, and mark the construction areas and delays on the map. What you don't get is the AAA regional guide books with city services, gas stations, lodging, restaurants, etc. Me? I still like a state map in my hand so I can think on the fly.

It's always good to know what is under construction! A good thread here has been http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ites-8554.html. State by state information actually falls under the national 511 system -- and 53FlyingCloud provided the very good link, National Traffic and Road Closure Information.

I've been trying the AAA TripTik site for a while this morning and it still says 'Loading Application.' It might be busy this first week or so of being free, summer travel season, etc. So give it a try or bookmark the 511 website -- keep that gravel from flying!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Bob,
Thanks for the info. I'm a AAA member, but this looks much handier than driving 20 minutes to their office.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I've been using the online trip TripTik for several years now, along with my GPS, and the state maps. The construction information is good. I wish they would put the mountain grades in so we would have a complete picture of what to expect ahead.

The online TripTik is great when you are connected to the internet, as you can mouse over the exits and see what's there. However, if you print it out, you don't get that information. The Next EXIT # 1 American Interstate Highway Travel Exit Guide provides that information and seems to have more information in it (like Wal*Marts, Starbucks, etc.) than the online TripTik.

Here's a source for information on the mountain grades Welcome to Mountain Directory

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
challenged!

I got to the AAA website, past the zip code, but do not see any trip tik info; I tried online roadservice but could not get past the log in------------what am I not seeing? We are members, just did not feel like going out to get our AAA #
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Since I'm a member and have an online account with AAA, my browser response may be different. When I click on the link in Bob's post #1 here, it takes me to a page that has a file folder shaped graphic on the left titled Maps & Directions. At the bottom of that graphic is a link to Go to TripTik® Travel Planner

Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
I've been using the online trip TripTik for several years now, along with my GPS, and the state maps. The construction information is good. I wish they would put the mountain grades in so we would have a complete picture of what to expect ahead.

Randy
Randy,

You CAN get topographical info from DeLorme. www.delorme.com. They make a package that loads to your PC and turns into a GPS, and you can overlay their excellent topo maps so you can see the grades of the road you are on. IIRC, it's around $100.

I just ordered it with their new '08 software, so I haven't had time to play with it yet. I'll be using it when I hit the road later this month!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks Lew. I'll check that out.

Randy

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
I got to the AAA website, past the zip code, but do not see any trip tik info; I tried online roadservice but could not get past the log in------------what am I not seeing? We are members, just did not feel like going out to get our AAA #
After you put in your zip code, I'm not sure if they would display a different screen depending on their other services in your area. Here's a partial screen shot of what I get after I put in my zip code:
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA 2nd screen.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	38389
I'm not saying use the zip code in my profile -- that's for the White House. But then ....

Online TripTik may work better on Internet Explorer -- it loaded up there just fine. I am using a Beta of a new Firefox version and it will not finish 'Loading Application.' Standard Firefox users? Is it loading for you okay?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote